Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 08:52 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times

Advertisements

Discounting highway travel, normal travel speed in cities by car is around 15 miles per hour. This sounds slow, but honestly, if you work out within-city commutes on google maps (dividing the miles by the commute time, and multiplying by 60) you will see that the average commute speed by car is generally in that range. Of course, in different portions of a trip, we often drive much faster than this, because there are other times that we are driving very slowly or stopped entirely due to congestion, lights, stop signs, etc.

Coincidentally, 15mph is also the maximum speed you can go in order to ensure no pedestrian fatalities. Someone hit by a car going 20mph has a one in ten chance of dying. By 30 mph, it goes up to 50%, and by 40%, 90%. Thus urban traffic management, internationally and increasingly in the U.S., has looked at ways to slow down cars when traveling at high speeds, if it can be traded off against less time being spent at a standstill. This way average commute time is not slowed down considerably, but streets are much safer, not only for pedestrians and cyclists, but for drivers (as low-speed collisions tend to just be fender benders).

Of course, they do also contribute to added congestion - particularly when poorly implemented (for example, when bus stop design isn't taken into account). But in most cases where they have been implemented, they have been successful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 09:21 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I didn't get the point of making that a suburban jab either. I live in the city and go fast on that road (especially at night) as well as do others I know who live in the city too.
You are asking for problems! I go 50 max because with the contours of the drive, it would not take much to flip a car in an "accident". I am talking about Bigelow "Speedway" (which it surely is).
You can still drive it at a reasonable speed and get to Craig Street in much less time than you would via Forbes Avenue or Second Avenue.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:20 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
You are asking for problems! I go 50 max because with the contours of the drive, it would not take much to flip a car in an "accident". I am talking about Bigelow "Speedway" (which it surely is).
You can still drive it at a reasonable speed and get to Craig Street in much less time than you would via Forbes Avenue or Second Avenue.
I go not too much higher than 50 on Bigelow as well...

Old 08-21-2017, 12:45 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times
Recent story on this:

Project aims to bolster safety on Liberty Avenue in Strip District | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh