Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 08:38 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,054,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
I moved from renting in Shadyside to owning in East Liberty. My home would be 2-3x as much in Shadyside so I'm happy. I like all parts of Shadyside, but the college crowd in the eastern part does get a bit old. Lots of late night yelling noise, people peeing everywhere, parking issues, etc. After about a decade in a few apartments it ran it's course, but Shadyside is fantastic.
you are so right about that! especially the remark about the college crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 08:43 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Not a good analogy, because Baumhaus is actually in Friendship. The border of Shadyside is Centre Avenue, minus a single block between Cypress and Morewood, where it jogs over to Baum for some reason.
Yes, it is a good analogy, because Liberty Avenue is the dividing line between the Strip District and Polish Hill. If everything on one side of Centre Avenue can be Friendship or East Liberty and the other side Shadyside, and if one side of East Liberty Boulevard is East Liberty and the other side is Larimer, then why is it that both sides of Liberty are the Strip District when Liberty is the boundary? Go to Google Maps, type in Polish Hill, and then click search. The boundaries will include the Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre. It's a double-standard when a street divides different neighborhoods to say only in some cases that both sides of that street are still the same neighborhood while in other areas the street is divided in half by neighborhood. I think you're under the belief that the East Busway is the official dividing line between the neighborhoods.

For Penn Avenue, is everything on the southern side considered Friendship, and everything on the northern side considered Garfield, or is it all considered Garfield?

Old 08-02-2017, 09:02 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Yes, it is a good analogy, because Liberty Avenue is the dividing line between the Strip District and Polish Hill. If everything on one side of Centre Avenue can be Friendship or East Liberty and the other side Shadyside, and if one side of East Liberty Boulevard is East Liberty and the other side is Larimer, then why is it that both sides of Liberty are the Strip District when Liberty is the boundary? Go to Google Maps, type in Polish Hill, and then click search. The boundaries will include the Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre. It's a double-standard when a street divides different neighborhoods to say only in some cases that both sides of that street are still the same neighborhood while in other areas the street is divided in half by neighborhood.
In the case of Baumhaus, advertising as Shadyside is false, because it's in Friendship.

In the case of Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre, it really is in Polish Hill, not the Strip District. Once again, calling it the Strip is false advertising.

Thus the situations are completely the same, so it doesn't make sense to complain about the former and then note the latter.

Quote:
For Penn Avenue, is everything on the southern side considered Friendship, and everything on the northern side considered Garfield, or is it all considered Garfield?
Garfield is only the northern side of Penn. Everything on the south isn't Friendship however, because technically Friendship ends at S Graham. Thus things like Spork, Aldi, Family Dollar, Mr. Roboto, and Batha Tea Bar are in Bloomfield.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:22 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
In the case of Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre, it really is in Polish Hill, not the Strip District. Once again, calling it the Strip is false advertising.
It might be splitting hairs, but since PBT is down on the flat area of Liberty near the Strip, and not actually up the hill of Polish Hill, it feels more like the Strip.

I've heard the BP on 51 by the salt dome been located as Mt. Washington, but since it's not actually on the Mount, that description is confusing.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:29 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It might be splitting hairs, but since PBT is down on the flat area of Liberty near the Strip, and not actually up the hill of Polish Hill, it feels more like the Strip.

I've heard the BP on 51 by the salt dome been located as Mt. Washington, but since it's not actually on the Mount, that description is confusing.
Yeah. This all goes back to the city deciding long ago to base neighborhoods on census tracts (or more aptly now census block groups, since some neighborhoods now lack their own tract due to population decline). It made for easy statistical comparison, but led to some wonky borders.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:28 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,900,053 times
Official neighborhood map from the City: https://pittsburghpa.maps.arcgis.com...f000d24ee1ded5

Old 08-02-2017, 11:33 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post

Oh I absolutely agree that most people wouldn't go into the PBT and think "I'm in Polish Hill right now" because it flows seamlessly into the Strip much better than having to cross the Busway and climb a few hundred feet in elevation to be at the top of the neighborhood.

In any event this is all tangential discussion, and I apologize for veering it off-track a bit. It's unfortunate that U.S. census blocks don't always mirror the most logical geographic boundaries for neighborhoods based on natural features (in our case topography).

I was just irked the other day sitting at the red light at Bigelow & Herron and seeing that Baumhaus billboard saying it's "In Shadyside" when it's a block into Friendship. I think it also had a lot of hipster buzz words and said "From the $1,500's" (like that's some sort of awesome bargain in a city with a stagnant population that is reaching a saturation point for luxury apartment rentals), but I'll check it out again to see the exact phrasing. I've driven to work the past few days because I'm sick, so I'll be seeing it in a few hours.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:36 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,705 times
Here you go SCR, go gentrify Braddock!

https://www.zillow.com/homes/1132-Wi...,-PA-15104_rb/

Seriously though, I love this house, look at that yard!

Old 08-03-2017, 10:24 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Here you go SCR, go gentrify Braddock!

https://www.zillow.com/homes/1132-Wi...,-PA-15104_rb/

Seriously though, I love this house, look at that yard!
There is something about that house that reminds me of my grandma's house in a small coal mining town (although she was born in Braddock). I love it! I am a sucker for the siding though with the green trim. Can you get any more Pittsburgh than that??? Parts of my basement is painted that same green. I have heard, and this could be 100% folklore, that it is J&L green. People would bring home leftover green paint from the steel mills and use it around the house. Even if its a myth it sounds like something that would have happened.

The list of things I love about that house include...
1. Siding/trim color
2. Kitchen floor and kitchen sink.
3. Original wood storm doors. Those do not come cheap. I tried to find one for my house to replace the aluminum one, it was impossible and new ones costs a fortune.
4. The plastic table cloth on the table in the laundry room. That is something my grandma definitely would have done.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:13 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Oh I absolutely agree that most people wouldn't go into the PBT and think "I'm in Polish Hill right now" because it flows seamlessly into the Strip much better than having to cross the Busway and climb a few hundred feet in elevation to be at the top of the neighborhood.

In any event this is all tangential discussion, and I apologize for veering it off-track a bit. It's unfortunate that U.S. census blocks don't always mirror the most logical geographic boundaries for neighborhoods based on natural features (in our case topography).

I was just irked the other day sitting at the red light at Bigelow & Herron and seeing that Baumhaus billboard saying it's "In Shadyside" when it's a block into Friendship. I think it also had a lot of hipster buzz words and said "From the $1,500's" (like that's some sort of awesome bargain in a city with a stagnant population that is reaching a saturation point for luxury apartment rentals), but I'll check it out again to see the exact phrasing. I've driven to work the past few days because I'm sick, so I'll be seeing it in a few hours.
Baumhaus kinda IS a bargain when you consider what other new-construction units rent for and the fact that all of its apartments are furnished and come with MAID SERVICE. Were I young and single, it would be near the top of my list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh