Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 06:47 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,389,300 times

Advertisements

Ok, Pittsburgh is not #1 but wallethub put Pittsburgh at #3. Still not bad.

A livability ranking Pittsburghers can live with | TribLIVE

#1 Virginia Beach
#2 Seattle

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst...live-in/14358/

It looks like Seattle should have run away with it but it's affordability is really bad at #50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 06:58 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
I disagree with this. I moved here 5 years ago and am looking for work. On Friday, a law firm, offered me a position which was paying below what I started at 5 years ago. How some companies can expect people to live on those wages is beyond me (and we are talking about below $40K).

Old 07-30-2017, 07:08 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,900,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
How some companies can expect people to live on those wages is beyond me (and we are talking about below $40K).
I support myself on $32k. But that's also why I live in Etna.

But the Trib article was a total homer fluff-piece full of the same recycled platitudes about Pgh.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:03 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I disagree with this. I moved here 5 years ago and am looking for work. On Friday, a law firm, offered me a position which was paying below what I started at 5 years ago. How some companies can expect people to live on those wages is beyond me (and we are talking about below $40K).
But if you were a lawyer making $120k annually, would you then agree with the article? It's all relative. Even in places touted as miracle cities or perfect places to live, there are people struggling.

I thought you moved to NE PA? Hang in there, Dot - maybe bite the bullet and take the job. What you may lose in compensation you will gain in a pleasant day to day work culture, with good people. Lawdy, I wish I had that!

Old 07-31-2017, 06:47 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
But if you were a lawyer making $120k annually, would you then agree with the article? It's all relative. Even in places touted as miracle cities or perfect places to live, there are people struggling.

I thought you moved to NE PA? Hang in there, Dot - maybe bite the bullet and take the job. What you may lose in compensation you will gain in a pleasant day to day work culture, with good people. Lawdy, I wish I had that!
Haven't moved yet,. I have one child still in high school so I am waiting for him to graduate next year. I had the pleasant day to day work culture, with good people for 2.5 years until my boss had a bad day and fired me for no reason. Believe it or not, there was no reason.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:07 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,085 times
Between this ("real people with real jobs... the city was built on coal and steel" - not a word about the "real jobs" of today) and the rose-tinted article talking about the Kaufmann's of yesteryear I'm starting to wonder if anyone in the local media ever writes about the present day.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:40 AM

994 posts, read 901,136 times
Interesting that they have Pittsburgh ranked as the 10th best economy.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
I also don't get Seattle's ranking of #1 for the economy. Colorado has the lowest UE rate in the country, and Denver's rate was 2.3% in May (the most recent stat I could find). Seattle's is 3.4% as of June.
https://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.co_denver_msa.htm
Washington unemployment rate holds steady at 4.5 percent | The Seattle Times

Old 07-31-2017, 07:16 PM

39 posts, read 23,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
Interesting that they have Pittsburgh ranked as the 10th best economy.
I agree. I also chuckled a bit at that as well. Take it from a former Pittsburgher that moved away in 2015 after trying to build a career there for 10 years out of college. The Pittsburgh city and metro is one of the hardest places in the United States to find a good paying job with long term growth prospects. It is a place where they seem to undervalue everybody that wants to work. And this is the main reason why people don't stay there and it scrapes the bottom of the barrel in job and population growth.

There are lots of low paying jobs in the Pittsburgh metro, but careers with good pay nope. You gotta move elsewhere if you want to do that. It was easier to get better job offers in Cleveland, Portland, Maine and Annapolis, Maryland.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:35 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger357 View Post
I agree. I also chuckled a bit at that as well. Take it from a former Pittsburgher that moved away in 2015 after trying to build a career there for 10 years out of college. The Pittsburgh city and metro is one of the hardest places in the United States to find a good paying job with long term growth prospects. It is a place where they seem to undervalue everybody that wants to work. And this is the main reason why people don't stay there and it scrapes the bottom of the barrel in job and population growth.

There are lots of low paying jobs in the Pittsburgh metro, but careers with good pay nope. You gotta move elsewhere if you want to do that. It was easier to get better job offers in Cleveland, Portland, Maine and Annapolis, Maryland.
I have had the exact opposite experience. Where I work, there are tons of people who have been there 15, 20, 25 years and they all make good money. I am about 30 days out from my 10 year anniversary with my company. This is only the second company I have worked for since graduating in 2003. In those 10 years I have had six different positions across various parts of the company and tripled my salary. Out of my core group of friends, 75% of us have had somewhat of the same experience, each working for companies for 7+ years. Of the 25% that haven’t, they have job jumped, didn’t put in the time at any one company, and chased pay raises. As we approach our mid to late 30s, their behavior in their early careers is starting to show as now they can’t seem to get a leg up at any company.

Yes this is my experience, but it is no less valid than your experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh