Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 06:45 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times

Advertisements

Yesterday my hubby and I went for a long awaited lunch. We don't get to see a lot of each other, so as a treat we decided to do lunch. We love Sewelicky so we went there for lunch. We both had a main course, shared a dessert, had two sodas and one glass of wine. The total before tip was $71. Yes, for lunch.
The wine cost $15 a glass ; really for just Pinot Grigio. Yes, the decor was beautiful and the patio was gorgeous.
I am not cheap but just thought this was a little high. Yes, we left a good tip as we always do so the cost came to $85.

I don't think we would have paid that in New York or even the Hamptons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 06:58 AM

969 posts, read 772,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Yesterday my hubby and I went for a long awaited lunch. We don't get to see a lot of each other, so as a treat we decided to do lunch. We love Sewelicky so we went there for lunch. We both had a main course, shared a dessert, had two sodas and one glass of wine. The total before tip was $71. Yes, for lunch.
The wine cost $15 a glass ; really for just Pinot Grigio. Yes, the decor was beautiful and the patio was gorgeous.
I am not cheap but just thought this was a little high. Yes, we left a good tip as we always do so the cost came to $85.

You went to a fancy place in Sewickley and it cost what it cost. Why the surprise?? I don't follow.

$20 dollar lunch entrees isn't extraordinary and whenever you have drinks out you should expect a big bump in your bill...

Old 08-24-2017, 07:45 AM

130 posts, read 122,576 times
Drink water.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:51 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,892 times
You can find expensive anywhere and if you look hard, you can find inexpensive too. Waiters eat out in NYC too, they just know the good places that are cheap.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:57 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post

Yes, times have definitely changed here in Pittsburgh. I am not a wine drinker so I am not all that familiar with the costs associated with that, however I have noticed that drink prices are starting to creep upward.

Summit $10-11 for some of the best drinks in Pgh
Ace Hotel...$10-11 for a great drink
Downtown..$10-13 in most places, however newer places seem to be settling in around the $12-13 range.

To put this in perspective, I am heading to Nantuck in 2 weeks for vacation, drinks there around $15-16. I also have stopped drinking the stuff I used to drink when I was younger so maybe it is possible to get a Jack and Coke for $2-3.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:11 AM

271 posts, read 332,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Yes, times have definitely changed here in Pittsburgh. I am not a wine drinker so I am not all that familiar with the costs associated with that, however I have noticed that drink prices are starting to creep upward.

Summit $10-11 for some of the best drinks in Pgh
Ace Hotel...$10-11 for a great drink
Downtown..$10-13 in most places, however newer places seem to be settling in around the $12-13 range.

To put this in perspective, I am heading to Nantuck in 2 weeks for vacation, drinks there around $15-16. I also have stopped drinking the stuff I used to drink when I was younger so maybe it is possible to get a Jack and Coke for $2-3.
Gotta love the Allegheny County 7% drink tax.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:16 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
Prices have been this high for years. Welcome to Gentrification. It is easy for us to spend $100 out for a night with food, tickets, and drinks. Don't forget the higher Allegheny taxes!

Old 08-24-2017, 08:45 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
But this was lunch. I was just amazed at the price. Normally where we go, and it has been to other places in Sewelickey, wine will cost about $8 a glass. I just had one glass and it was $15.

I always thought lunch was cheaper. Even when I worked downtown, and would go for lunch, it would be about $24 for lunch incl a glass of wine.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:39 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
I'm glad I prefer local diners for lunch. Bob's is my favorite lately. They have a few locations in the South Hills.

Anything trendy will be expensive, mostly relieving Millenials of their money.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:54 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
I'm glad I prefer local diners for lunch. Bob's is my favorite lately. They have a few locations in the South Hills.

Anything trendy will be expensive, mostly relieving Millenials of their money.

What money? They're paying off their student loans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh