Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: With which geographic region do you associate Pittsburgh, PA?
Midwestern US 18 22.78%
Northeastern US 45 56.96%
Other 16 20.25%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 11:56 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I live in S.E. PA, and consider Pittsburgh part of Ohio. It is a Midwest town, outside of the Northeast megalopolis.
Have you been to Pittsburgh, or are you merely trolling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 12:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
My guess is that they're counting suburban townhouses, as well as townhouse style housing projects in these numbers. Pittsburgh has dropped from 16%, most likely because of the demolition of St. Clair Village, and Broadhead Manor, both of which had dozens of rows of attached housing.
The data came from the Census Bureau and I believe they are just counting the city limits. However, they probably are including what are commonly referred to as "townhouses", that is, newer row houses.

Old 09-02-2017, 12:38 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The data came from the Census Bureau and I believe they are just counting the city limits. However, they probably are including what are commonly referred to as "townhouses", that is, newer row houses.
The "city limits" in places like Columbus and Indianapolis are actually mostly suburban areas, due to massive aneexation of suburbs,and I would bet that most of their houses designated as such are not in the urban cores, but are newer townhouse style suburban developments. Their city limits are basically the equivalent of all of Allegheny county.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
The "city limits" in places like Columbus and Indianapolis are actually mostly suburban areas, due to massive aneexation of suburbs,and I would bet that most of their houses designated as such are not in the urban cores, but are newer townhouse style suburban developments. Their city limits are basically the equivalent of all of Allegheny county.
Allegheny County is huge, 745 sq. mi. Columbus is 217.2 sq mi, about 1/3 of AC. Indianapolis is 361.4 sq. mi, just under half the size of AC.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...cities_by_area
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegh...,_Pennsylvania

Old 09-02-2017, 01:10 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I live in S.E. PA, and consider Pittsburgh part of Ohio. It is a Midwest town, outside of the Northeast megalopolis.
Oh? So why does my car have PA plates, get inspected, and my state taxes go to PA?

Old 09-02-2017, 01:39 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
I'm looking at those Indy pics, and I see houses from Baltimore, Cincy, Philly, and Squirrel Hill. Besides, you can always find exceptions, and isolated examples. Indy is as far from a rowhouse city as you can get. You won't find anything like a Lawrenceville in any of those cities, other than Chicago (a huge city that has it's own character), and St. Louis, which stands out from the rest of the Midwest.
Actually, my understanding is the core of Indianapolis, similar to the rest of the Lower Midwest, used to have a fair number of rowhouses. It's just that urban renewal obliterated all but a few examples.

Quote:
Yeah, the census has a count of "one-unit attached" which includes all attached and semi-attached structures, regardless of age. Note that it doesn't include rowhouses which have been chopped up into 2-3 apartments, or "rowhouse style" single-family homes only separated by a few feet from neighbors.

When I looked into it a few years back, the only neighborhood in the city where a majority of units were one-unit attached was Central Lawrenceville, even though there are over a dozen neighborhoods most people would consider rowhouse dominated in terms of built form.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:49 PM

716 posts, read 765,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
Mostly posts on these boards actually.
Link please.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:53 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Quote:
I don't consider anything that fronts a parking lot a "rowhouse".

Old 09-02-2017, 03:47 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Oh? So why does my car have PA plates, get inspected, and my state taxes go to PA?
Because it's obviously not part of Ohio. He simply said he "considers" it part of Ohio.

Old 09-02-2017, 05:07 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times
Quote:
Allegheny County is huge, 745 sq. mi. Columbus is 217.2 sq mi, about 1/3 of AC. Indianapolis is 361.4 sq. mi, just under half the size of AC.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...cities_by_area
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegh...,_Pennsylvania
Ok I overestimated their area but they are more than 4 times the city limit size of Pgh, and far more suburban. So the point is that most of what is listed as rowhouse or semi attached housing in Indy and Columbus are suburban townhouse developments, where pittsburghs are largely urban rowhouses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh