Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: With which geographic region do you associate Pittsburgh, PA?
Midwestern US 18 22.78%
Northeastern US 45 56.96%
Other 16 20.25%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 09:54 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Yeah, but this area still didn't have the influx of additional people from those regions like Cleveland, Detroit, ad Chicago.
Keep in mind that much of our industry wasn't in Pittsburgh proper, but strung out along the rivers for quite a distance. It wasn't necessary for migrants to come into the city to find work. I don't know how many migrants came to the general tri state area for work, but I can easily see where going to Weirton, Charleroi, or Aliquippa, may have been less jarring for someone coming from the rural hills, than coming into big, bad, Pittsburgh. My grandparents settled in Brooke County WV when they came up from Carolina in the early 1920s. They didn't come to Pittsburgh until 1944, and only then because the mine was tapped out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 09:31 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Actually, Baltimore has an Appalachian component. If you want to get technical, it's not on the coast, either, any more than Philly is.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_Appalachians
Correct. And many forget that Baltimore was located in the Confederate states and had Jim Crow segregation up until the 1960s.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:15 AM

968 posts, read 1,141,796 times
It's been said that Pennsylvania on the whole is more like a midwestern state than a northeastern state. It is the only state in the northeast with no oceanside FTR (damn Jersey won't get out of the way!) I already said in this thread that Pittsburgh is nothing like Ohio, which I always felt was the midwest. My father once said he didn't even consider Ohio the midwest, and I am sure it is different there from places like Minnesota, Wisconsin or Michigan, but I would guess it isn't that different from Indiana, Illinois or Iowa on the whole. I am more familiar with south central to southwestern Ohio than the Cleveland area though so maybe that area has more in common with places like Chicago, Detroit (we all know about this one - not to demean the others), Toledo, Milwaukee and the Twins than Columbus, Cincy, Dayton or Indianapolis.

I was in Allentown yesterday, and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre the day before. These places at least look more like Pittsburgh than anything in Ohio, the way they were built on the rolling hills, mountains and all that type of pleasant scenery on the horizon. Especially the Lehigh Valley (Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton) which I know has been experiencing a big comeback over the past decade or so.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:19 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Northeastern in the city. Midwestern in the suburbs.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:22 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
It's been said that Pennsylvania on the whole is more like a midwestern state than a northeastern state. It is the only state in the northeast with no oceanside FTR (damn Jersey won't get out of the way!) I already said in this thread that Pittsburgh is nothing like Ohio, which I always felt was the midwest. My father once said he didn't even consider Ohio the midwest, and I am sure it is different there from places like Minnesota, Wisconsin or Michigan, but I would guess it isn't that different from Indiana, Illinois or Iowa on the whole. I am more familiar with south central to southwestern Ohio than the Cleveland area though so maybe that area has more in common with places like Chicago, Detroit (we all know about this one - not to demean the others), Toledo, Milwaukee and the Twins than Columbus, Cincy, Dayton or Indianapolis.

I was in Allentown yesterday, and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre the day before. These places at least look more like Pittsburgh than anything in Ohio, the way they were built on the rolling hills, mountains and all that type of pleasant scenery on the horizon. Especially the Lehigh Valley (Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton) which I know has been experiencing a big comeback over the past decade or so.
Vermont is unquestionably northeastern.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:34 AM

968 posts, read 1,141,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Vermont is unquestionably northeastern.
That's true.

I always considered Vermont and Connecticut more in common with New England though than typical northeast/mid-Atlantic. I know nothing about either of them personally. I was in Milford, CT recently too which was pretty far from the NY state line and it felt more like Upstate NY than Massachusetts which I always kind of associated everything north and east of New York with. Then again the only place in New England I ever visited was Cape Cod so most of the things I've heard about New England over the years was second hand information.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:37 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
That's true.

I always considered Vermont and Connecticut more in common with New England though than typical northeast/mid-Atlantic. I know nothing about either of them personally. I was in Milford, CT recently too which was pretty far from the NY state line and it felt more like Upstate NY than Massachusetts which I always kind of associated everything north and east of New York with. Then again the only place in New England I ever visited was Cape Cod so most of the things I've heard about New England over the years was second hand information.
The way you talk about New England, it's almost like you consider it a separate region of the country, and not part of the Northeast.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:26 AM

716 posts, read 765,836 times
Quote:
It's been said that Pennsylvania on the whole is more like a midwestern state than a northeastern state.
By whom?

Old 09-01-2017, 12:33 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Correct. And many forget that Baltimore was located in the Confederate states and had Jim Crow segregation up until the 1960s.
Maryland was not part of the Confederacy, although there were many Confederate sympathizers in the state.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Maryland was not part of the Confederacy, although there were many Confederate sympathizers in the state.
Maryland was a border state. They didn't secede, but they allowed slavery. As Ben Around said, they had Jim Crow laws into the 60s. My SIL, b. 1954, remembers segregated lunch counters in little Elkton, MD.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...ry_in_Maryland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh