Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 09:20 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,855,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Short term parking is $1; if someone was planning on spending money there to shop I can't think that $1 would matter; that being said unless you specifically wanted something from one of the stores there that you can't find elsewhere in the area (there are a handful) I don't think that shopping itself would be the draw but rather people meeting others flying in or taking people who are flying out - while their for other reasons then shopping/eating makes more sense.

I'm curious if the lounges will make having a boarding pass a requirement to enter now.
Short term parking is $1 for the 1st hour and $4 per hour for each subsequent hour. Waiting for passengers and deciding to eat and shop makes sense, but I would still just go to Robinson and park for free until I get a text or call that my friend or loved one was ready to be picked up at the airport. The added hassle of having to go through security will also add to parking costs as it will probably slow people down and they will have to pay for the second hour. I am glad this got approved, but I wonder how many people will actually take advantage of the shopping at the airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 09:33 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,388,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
I am glad this got approved, but I wonder how many people will actually take advantage of the shopping at the airport.
In the past, before 9/11 10% of sales was from non-passengers.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:44 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,597,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
In the past, before 9/11 10% of sales was from non-passengers.
That's really interesting -- do you mean in Pittsburgh specifically or at all airports?

I'm also mildly skeptical that people will make this a shopping destination when there is so much in Robinson township, and my impression is that most of the Robinson shopping areas were built after 2001, but I will be curious to see what happens.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:17 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,962,159 times
The first hour in the short term lot is free. Initially, non-travelers will be able to access the airside terminal Monday through Friday between 9am and 5pm only, which is outside the peak times. If you have the pass by 5, you can stay into the evening if you are meeting passengers at the gate. I think meeting people will be the big draw, but the stores out there are pretty cool, too.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:42 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,855,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
The first hour in the short term lot is free.
No you are thinking of extended parking, not short term. Here is the link: Parking & Transport @ Pittsburgh Airport

"SHORT TERM PARKING RATES:
$1.00/ 1st hour
$4.00 each additional hour
$24.00 daily max
Daily max is calculated on a 24-hour basis. All hours exceeding a 24-hour period will be charged at the hourly rate up to the daily max."

Theoretically you could park in the extended lot and get the free first hour, but these lots are really far from the terminal/air mall. With that being said, it would be a good idea to entice shoppers and diners with a free hour of parking in the short term lot if possible.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:48 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,186,657 times
Quote:
No you are thinking of extended parking, not short term. Here is the link: Parking & Transport @ Pittsburgh Airport

$1.00/ 1st hour
$24.00 daily max
Daily max is calculated on a 24-hour basis. All hours exceeding a 24-hour period will be charged at the hourly rate up to the daily max."

Theoretically you could park in the extended lot and get the free first hour, but these lots are really far from the terminal/air mall. With that being said, it would be a good idea to entice shoppers and diners with a free hour of parking in the short term lot if possible.
Can't imagine anyone that's interested in going shopping at the Airmall is concerned with spending a few dollars to park.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:51 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,281,859 times
Quote:

$1.00/ 1st hour
$24.00 daily max

then the short term lot will turn into the cell phone lot.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:00 PM

271 posts, read 331,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
then the short term lot will turn into the cell phone lot.
Require parking validation for free 1st hour -- problem solved.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:48 AM

112 posts, read 161,587 times
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I can't imagine wanting to stand in line to get through security just to go eat at a chain restaurant I could find anywhere else. I hardly ever shop at brick and mortar stores, so that wouldn't be a draw to me either.
My bf travels quite a lot for work, and I always drop him off and pick him up. However, we're never at the airport between 9-5 m-f.
What I'd like to see is those hours extended and for restaurants and shops to be open up a bit later than they are now.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:25 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,690,742 times
There are indeed some really cool shops at the airport. Good way to relax with your loved one..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh