Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 07:06 AM

226 posts, read 588,555 times

Advertisements

yeah, that price point seems a little low for any neighborhood already beginning to gentrify. i think that moving a bit further east into deutschtown might make that possible though (i love driving through that area--don't know what it would be like to live there).

also, i forgot to mention how great ainulianle's photos are -- thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 11:10 AM

119 posts, read 460,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
The Giant Eagle is still there, yeah. It's smallish and older than most. I dunno about walking from the Mexican War streets. It's doable, but I would think longish (you'd spend more time walking than in the store) and not something you'd want to do at night yet.
From the War Streets the Giant Eagle is a good 15 minute walk each way, 10 if you're breaking a sweat. Fine if its a nice day and you've got some time, but still not super convenient. I usually drive there, but would occasionally pick up groceries on my way home when I worked in town and would walk to and from.

Now from Avery, Lockhart, and Pressley St right in Deustchtown, the Giant Eagle would be no more than a 2-3 minute walk.

As far as walking around after dark, there's really nothing scary between the War Streets and the Giant Eagle, and you can cut down through the park and along main streets the whole way. However, I for one wouldn't feel motivated to take a 30 minute roundtrip walk in the dark to pick up groceries.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:16 PM

10 posts, read 30,723 times
Default purrfect....

most NY's like Pittsburgh and find it a miniature NY. Try Squirrel Hil/Shadyside neighborhoods, but inventory of homes for sale is low at all times. Renting is no problem and areas are safe in general. Excellent for walking everywhere, bike trails, etc. You will like it here...except winters. Welcome!

Old 12-13-2009, 09:43 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,034,334 times
Shadyside and Squirrel Hill aren't all that close to downtown, though. I mean, you can drive downtown in 20 minutes, but when I lived there I always felt really separated from downtown. Even in Mckees Rocks, I feel closer to downtown than I did in Shadyside.

Other neighborhoods adjacent to downtown include The Strip District and Uptown. I bet you could get a good deal on a house in Uptown.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:13 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Shadyside and Squirrel Hill aren't all that close to downtown, though. I mean, you can drive downtown in 20 minutes, but when I lived there I always felt really separated from downtown.
Of course I'm not arguing with your subjective feeling, but Shadyside and Squirrel Hill are around 4-5 miles driving from Downtown, and it is doable in around 10 minutes without traffic. So I wonder if Oakland and the Hill served as a psychological barrier.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:17 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,010 times
Coming from New York you are probably want a lot of stores and restaurants close by. Realistically, the biggest and best neighoborhoods for you, Shadyside and Squirrel Hill, are probably too expensive. Squirrel Hill is cheaper but for the most part you have to live pretty far away from the business district to make it affordable. If that was my budget I would probably try and find a fixer in Friendship as opposed to a smaller house in Squirrel Hill away from the business district. From Friendship you can walk to Shadyside and to Bloomfield. It would probably take 10 minutes depending on your exact location. Pittsburgh has a few walkable neighborhhoods but their business districts are pretty small.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:15 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,181,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
If that was my budget I would probably try and find a fixer in Friendship as opposed to a smaller house in Squirrel Hill away from the business district.
I like Friendship, but it has no business district. The closest districts are Bloomfield, Garfield, East Liberty corridor, and Shadyside. Whenever I have been in Friendship I see nothing but blocks and blocks of huge and old Victorian homes that have been turned into apartments. I'm not sure if one could find a "fixer-upper" for a family in there.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,464 times
great pictures , looks a bit like montgomery street in baltimore

Old 12-14-2009, 06:32 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
I like Friendship, but it has no business district.
On a technical note, the commercial district along Penn Avenue is half in Friendship since that is the border with Garfield. Perhaps more relevantly, Friendship is as close to the business districts in surrounding neighborhoods as parts of Squirrel Hill are to the business district in Squirrel Hill (a function of Friendship being a small neighborhood and Squirrel Hill being a large one).

Quote:
I'm not sure if one could find a "fixer-upper" for a family in there.
A while back unconverted and unrenovated houses were still coming on the market periodically, but those are now becoming less common and more pricey.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:31 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,010 times
Quote:
A while back unconverted and unrenovated houses were still coming on the market periodically, but those are now becoming less common and more pricey.
I agree with BrianTH, Friendship is pretty pricey these days. Then again, most of the East End has gotten pricey. Even Mourningside has houses that are going for over 200,000. Even though Friendship doesn't really have a business district, I still prefer its location to the part of Squirrel Hill on the other side of the parkway, aka as the affordable part of Squirrel Hill. The one area in the East End that really has not taken off recently is Highland Park. I wonder why? Is it too pricey or too far away from Oakland or too inconvenient to downtown or are the bad parts too bad? What do you think
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh