Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 05:21 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,392,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
All you have to do is hire a home inspector, as anyone would. Obviously, cheap houses will need repairs, but that doesn't mean you couldn't live in a house that needs some TLC. Most of us do.
The houses that I have bought we're actually in nice shape, I have a 12 year old house in North Braddock that I bought for less than 20k including repairs. I found a lot of the cheaper houses had new roofs and windows and some mechanical rehab done. I looked for bank houses, they were under renovation when the owner defaulted on the mortgage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 08:38 PM

255 posts, read 284,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
The houses that I have bought we're actually in nice shape, I have a 12 year old house in North Braddock that I bought for less than 20k including repairs. I found a lot of the cheaper houses had new roofs and windows and some mechanical rehab done. I looked for bank houses, they were under renovation when the owner defaulted on the mortgage.
It seems like all the North Braddock homes I've been in have problems with water getting in the basement. Do you have that problem?

Old 09-19-2017, 09:56 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,392,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCom View Post
It seems like all the North Braddock homes I've been in have problems with water getting in the basement. Do you have that problem?
No, it is a ranch on a crawl space, all new construction. It is almost impossible to stop water from entering a sandstone foundation. That is the type of foundation most commonly used in North Braddock.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:02 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
There will always be examples of good deals, but they are not the common condition, especially for non-real estate folks. Yes, there are examples, but I see more homes over 50k in Mt. Oliver than under 20k.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:11 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
There will always be examples of good deals, but they are not the common condition, especially for non-real estate folks. Yes, there are examples, but I see more homes over 50k in Mt. Oliver than under 20k.
yeah what these people aren't telling us is that they have years and years of real estate experience to sniff out the good deals from the life ruining disasters. this isn't possible for the every man. spending $500 after $500 on home inspections adds up.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:06 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
yeah what these people aren't telling us is that they have years and years of real estate experience to sniff out the good deals from the life ruining disasters. this isn't possible for the every man. spending $500 after $500 on home inspections adds up.
$500 is a little on the high end for an inspection, but even so, it's not that big of a drawback. Even if you do 10 of them for $5,000, it's worth it if it saves you $50,000+ on housing costs. If you walk with the inspector, after the first couple you'll have a good idea of what to look for yourself and will be able to "pass" on some homes without even getting to the offer/inspection stage.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:14 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post

Anyone can tell during a walk thru if a house is a disaster or not. Wet basements, water stains on walls, extremely slanted floors, windows that won't open, and remodels that you can tell have been done by the previous owner. Aim for buying from old ladies who may not have put the newest backsplash in their house, but they maintained everything else and probably kept records of it. My house came with a receipt for the stove, that had her notes written on it. Day ordered, amount paid, amount of tax, day delivered, and the check number. That is the kind of person that kept up the maintenance on their house, however I had blue kitchen counters and a pink dining room.

You could also watch the movie "The Money Pit" and learn a lot in the first 20 minutes. If it seems like too good of a deal, it is.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:38 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Anyone can tell during a walk thru if a house is a disaster or not. Wet basements, water stains on walls, extremely slanted floors, windows that won't open, and remodels that you can tell have been done by the previous owner. Aim for buying from old ladies who may not have put the newest backsplash in their house, but they maintained everything else and probably kept records of it. My house came with a receipt for the stove, that had her notes written on it. Day ordered, amount paid, amount of tax, day delivered, and the check number. That is the kind of person that kept up the maintenance on their house, however I had blue kitchen counters and a pink dining room.

You could also watch the movie "The Money Pit" and learn a lot in the first 20 minutes. If it seems like too good of a deal, it is.
haha i agree here but those houses go fast. luckily i was able to find a two owner house that was lived in until old age by the first owner and had a new kitchen put in by the second owner that only lived there for four years. i still find remnants of their color choices though...

Old 09-20-2017, 07:38 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,049 times
I'm surprised that people are having a hard time believing that some of the smaller and over-looked municipalities on the outskirts of Pittsburgh are cheap. It's also weird to watch a debate between some people posting about their own experiences, regarding properties they actually own, and then other people who are basically saying "nah, that can't be right, let's come up with a reason not to listen to them."

Old 09-20-2017, 07:52 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
They're are good deals everywhere, just might not be your ultimate place you want to live. I've been lucky with my purchases over the years. My one piece of advice is focus on vacant homes, someone is usually paying two mortgages and are ready to deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh