Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2019, 09:30 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times

Advertisements

Lending Tree's list is based on six metrics explained early in the article. https://www.lendingtree.com/home/mor...me-homebuyers/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 05:24 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Well now you've done it. Time for somebody to post a dissertation illustrating the connections of the Greater Pittsburgh Chamber of Commerce to the Illuminati as a reason for the inclusion of Pittsburgh on many of these lists. Well, either that or a couple of people banging their faces off their keyboards because "best of" lists are flawed if they include Pittsburgh at or near the top. The work week has just begun, and you've already ruined it for some people.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:52 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,290 times
the reality is that homeownership in Pittsburgh is very attainable for just about anyone. Sure we have some pricey areas in the trendy parts of the city, but within a couple miles of every one of the pricey areas a livable home can be had for around 100-150k or less. If a person can not save up a down payment/closing costs for an FHA loan on one of these starter homes, My personal belief is they probably are better off just staying as renters.

what is nice to see is that the average downpayment % across the board for all cities is hovering in the mid to upper teens. The higher this percentage, the more resilient housing tends to be to crashes.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:12 AM

270 posts, read 341,047 times
Pittsburgh has lots of inexpensive housing, which seems like a great opportunity, but I have to wonder how much of said housing is complete trash (i.e. moldy old clapboard houses in the middle of the woods, or in a flood-prone lot, or hanging off the side of an unstable hill). Its amazing how many times I find myself driving through a nice pleasant area with nice homes and then turn the corner and pass through the woods and see lots/houses like I just mentioned. It has to skew the real estate statistics. Even knocking down the structure and starting over doesn't make sense if the lot is garbage.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:28 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvdog View Post
Pittsburgh has lots of inexpensive housing, which seems like a great opportunity, but I have to wonder how much of said housing is complete trash (i.e. moldy old clapboard houses in the middle of the woods, or in a flood-prone lot, or hanging off the side of an unstable hill). Its amazing how many times I find myself driving through a nice pleasant area with nice homes and then turn the corner and pass through the woods and see lots/houses like I just mentioned. It has to skew the real estate statistics. Even knocking down the structure and starting over doesn't make sense if the lot is garbage.
Depends where you look. Go north, good luck in the sub 100k price range. But go East, once you are out of Shadyside(or really the first half of Wilkinsburg I guess) and you can go for half hour drive of move in ready sub 100k neighborhoods. Might not be HGTV ready but solid houses

Old 02-19-2019, 03:17 PM

615 posts, read 394,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvdog View Post
There are lots of cheap houses in the city and surrounding areas. Buy a house for 80K and it needs 100K of work to make it livable. Btw this house is located in an undesirable neighborhood where you will never get out what you put into the property. That’s why nobody buys these cheap houses they will never make their money back on purchases and renovation. For every good area you have another of equal size that is dilapidated or in steep decline. It has made the housing prices in desirable areas go out of sight and unattainable for
Medium incomes around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: