Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2018, 11:35 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,384,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Is that grounds for possibly "breaking" Amazon up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 11:38 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,384,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
I think they were able to obtain that when they took over the operations of airborne express.

I have heard that FedEx ground is a good company to work for and Amazon is horrible so I don't think they will get much competition. If that was a reason they will be in Atlanta with ups.
If Amazon picks Atlanta, I will close down my accounts with Amazon. Does Amazon have an actual competitor? I've heard that Wal-Mart was forming a partnership with Google.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:51 AM

32,613 posts, read 77,432,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
If Amazon picks Atlanta, I will close down my accounts with Amazon. Does Amazon have an actual competitor? I've heard that Wal-Mart was forming a partnership with Google.
Heh. I feel the same way about boycotting Amazon if they choose Northern Virginia.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:04 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,277,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Heh. I feel the same way about boycotting Amazon if they choose Northern Virginia.
you won't though. and they know that

Old 02-12-2018, 08:11 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,106,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
you won't though. and they know that
They certainly do.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:19 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,948,709 times
Geekwire, a Seattle-based website that reports on tech, is reporting from Pittsburgh for the month of February. The editor was a guest on KDKA's "KD/PG Sunday Edition" for a half hour yesterday with interesting insights.

He sees Pittsburgh at about #9 or #10 on the list of possible sites for HQ2, based on the data. His top three contenders are Washington (which has three of the top bids), Austin and Atlanta.

But, like everyone, he said that there are many intangibles that will probably also he considered. He said that CMU is a standout in Pittsburgh's bid, it helps that FedEx Ground is headquartered here, and Pittsburgh kind of has a "Seattle vibe" similar to what helped Amazon grow there. He also talked about the positives and negatives of having HQ2 in any city and the disruption it would cause, since Amazon is a disruptive company.

The program is probably available online.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:34 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,125,531 times
Quote:
He sees Pittsburgh at about #9 or #10 on the list of possible sites for HQ2, based on the data. His top three contenders are Washington (which has three of the top bids), Austin and Atlanta.
Ugh, this fallacy again. Maryland, DC, and VA had to submit separately. Clearly DC offers a lot, though has a huge issue with cost of living.

Each bid offers multiple locations, whether it be Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Philly or any of the others.

DC as a market is a contender, therefore, the MD, DC and VA bids made the cut.

Pittsburgh may very well be 9th or 10th.

Who knows? Nobody. Nobody but Amazon. Countless lists and guesses have been made, but nobody actually knows how Amazon is measuring in terms of weight per criteria etc.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:17 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,871,382 times
To be honest ... It's simply going come down to incentives and Who bests sells their city to Amazon..

Peduto, Fitz, Wolf, Stefani Pashman (Allegheny Conf), CMU Pitt leaders, Pgh Tech Council, even Chris Cassotis (PIT) and Katherine Kellman (CEO of PAT) are all going to have to sell Pittsburgh and a vision to Amazon. All hands on deck.

Pittsburgh can win this, but it will need EVERYONE doing their part to sell Amazon on how they would fit in here, how Amazon would help Pittsburgh overcome current shortcomings (Flights, Logistics, Attracting Experienced Talent, etc). They (Amazon) will need to hear it all, because its not just going to stick out to them.

This is where I think being the underdog helps Pittsburgh... Some of these other cities are so hubris in their might, they wont think they need to sell Amazon on anything (NYC, BOS, CHI, DC, etc), just offer up the tax breaks and the rest speaks for itself. I don't think Amazon is that obtuse of a company, tangibles will speak heavily. I think we're REALLY going to be shocked at who's the Final Four/Five.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:25 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,277,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
To be honest ... It's simply going come down to incentives and Who bests sells their city to Amazon..

Peduto, Fitz, Wolf, Stefani Pashman (Allegheny Conf), CMU Pitt leaders, Pgh Tech Council, even Chris Cassotis (PIT) and Katherine Kellman (CEO of PAT) are all going to have to sell Pittsburgh and a vision to Amazon. All hands on deck.

Pittsburgh can win this, but it will need EVERYONE doing their part to sell Amazon on how they would fit in here, how Amazon would help Pittsburgh overcome current shortcomings (Flights, Logistics, Attracting Experienced Talent, etc). They (Amazon) will need to hear it all, because its not just going to stick out to them.

This is where I think being the underdog helps Pittsburgh... Some of these other cities are so hubris in their might, they wont think they need to sell Amazon on anything (NYC, BOS, CHI, DC, etc), just offer up the tax breaks and the rest speaks for itself. I don't think Amazon is that obtuse of a company, tangibles will speak heavily. I think we're REALLY going to be shocked at who's the Final Four/Five.
it really isn't about selling pittsburgh, or any city, for that matter. peduto can't predict the vision of a billion dollar company. amazon couldn't care less how the city sells itself through a two minute feel good youtube puff video. they have the data already and will evaluate accordingly. they have their hand out for the incentives, will evaluate with what they knew before the offers were made, and pick accordinlgy to maximize profit for the richest man in the world.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:57 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,871,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
it really isn't about selling pittsburgh, or any city, for that matter. peduto can't predict the vision of a billion dollar company. amazon couldn't care less how the city sells itself through a two minute feel good youtube puff video. they have the data already and will evaluate accordingly. they have their hand out for the incentives, will evaluate with what they knew before the offers were made, and pick accordinlgy to maximize profit for the richest man in the world.
I wholeheartedly disagree. I'm talking in your face selling, when Amazon Exces are here in Pittsburgh. Not more video submissions. Leaders will need to sell Amazon on Pittsburgh through tours, guides, they will need a vision of the company in Pittsburgh, and what the location of Pittsburgh could do for Amazon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh