Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2018, 01:08 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,194,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
it really isn't about selling pittsburgh, or any city, for that matter. peduto can't predict the vision of a billion dollar company. amazon couldn't care less how the city sells itself through a two minute feel good youtube puff video. they have the data already and will evaluate accordingly. they have their hand out for the incentives, will evaluate with what they knew before the offers were made, and pick accordinlgy to maximize profit for the richest man in the world.
Exactly this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 09:31 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,413,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Geekwire, a Seattle-based website that reports on tech, is reporting from Pittsburgh for the month of February. The editor was a guest on KDKA's "KD/PG Sunday Edition" for a half hour yesterday with interesting insights.

He sees Pittsburgh at about #9 or #10 on the list of possible sites for HQ2, based on the data. His top three contenders are Washington (which has three of the top bids), Austin and Atlanta.

But, like everyone, he said that there are many intangibles that will probably also he considered. He said that CMU is a standout in Pittsburgh's bid, it helps that FedEx Ground is headquartered here, and Pittsburgh kind of has a "Seattle vibe" similar to what helped Amazon grow there. He also talked about the positives and negatives of having HQ2 in any city and the disruption it would cause, since Amazon is a disruptive company.

The program is probably available online.
Interesting, make sense.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the DC area locations wins it and Amazon places offices in the other two nearby areas that also bid.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:19 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,769,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmidnight View Post
Interesting, make sense.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the DC area locations wins it and Amazon places offices in the other two nearby areas that also bid.

I think they'd have a lot of problems hiring/keeping people there, same with NYC. So much competition for talent, and high salaries with high COL.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:24 AM

369 posts, read 462,686 times
Irregardless of where HQ2 lands, corporate real estate organization CCIM Institute has ranked Pittsburgh #1 for future corporate relocations.

https://www.ccim.com/resources/ccim_...eport_1q18.pdf

Old 02-13-2018, 11:25 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
I think they'd have a lot of problems hiring/keeping people there, same with NYC. So much competition for talent, and high salaries with high COL.
Eh. When I lived in Northern Virginia it was a CONSTANT revolving door at my office as new hires and transplants would burn out from stress and/or hate the area and flee (as I did), but my office never had trouble replenishing the quickly-fleeing ranks. I'd suspect Amazon, with its "churn and burn" reputation, would manage well in NYC or DC.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:41 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITairport View Post
Irregardless of where HQ2 lands, corporate real estate organization CCIM Institute has ranked Pittsburgh #1 for future corporate relocations.

https://www.ccim.com/resources/ccim_...eport_1q18.pdf
"it’s also slated to be America’s first fully driverless-car-enabled MSA by 2020". has this timeline been put forward anywhere?

Old 02-13-2018, 09:29 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,334,760 times
We don't want Amazon in Northern Virginia.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:22 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,288,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Geekwire, a Seattle-based website that reports on tech, is reporting from Pittsburgh for the month of February. The editor was a guest on KDKA's "KD/PG Sunday Edition" for a half hour yesterday with interesting insights.

He sees Pittsburgh at about #9 or #10 on the list of possible sites for HQ2, based on the data. His top three contenders are Washington (which has three of the top bids), Austin and Atlanta.

But, like everyone, he said that there are many intangibles that will probably also he considered. He said that CMU is a standout in Pittsburgh's bid, it helps that FedEx Ground is headquartered here, and Pittsburgh kind of has a "Seattle vibe" similar to what helped Amazon grow there. He also talked about the positives and negatives of having HQ2 in any city and the disruption it would cause, since Amazon is a disruptive company.

The program is probably available online.
I just got back from PGH and saw Geekwire was doing some kind of symposium last night. I’d be curious to know if they offered any reasoning behind their selection of Austin as a top three contender. The kind of reasoning that goes a bit more into detail than “it’s cool” and “Whole Foods.”

Old 02-15-2018, 12:54 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,388,523 times
After visiting Denver, the locals don't want it, and quite frankly they don't need it as their unemployment rate is 2.9%

Old 02-15-2018, 01:40 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,963,523 times
Geekwire itself didn't rank the cities. The editor was asked by the reporters interviewing him what his personal opinion was on how the cities fared, so it was totally his own thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh