Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2018, 05:45 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
We don't want Amazon in Northern Virginia.
because its been OK for the thousands of others there with their carbon heavy lifestyles, but suddenly not so accepting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 10:58 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
"You Are Jeff Bezos. Where Should HQ2 Go?"

You Are Jeff Bezos. Where Should HQ2 Go?

My Jeff Bezos chose Dallas, then Newark, then DC. Coincidentally, either Newark or the DC area is where I think Amazon HQ2 will locate.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:26 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,264,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
"You Are Jeff Bezos. Where Should HQ2 Go?"

You Are Jeff Bezos. Where Should HQ2 Go?

My Jeff Bezos chose Dallas, then Newark, then DC. Coincidentally, either Newark or the DC area is where I think Amazon HQ2 will locate.
my bezos chose dc, nyc, toronto.

i agree with scott galloway from nyu that it's down to nyc metro vs dc metro area with philly and miami as dark horses.

I originally thought toronto would be the pick but I think jeff wants 2 more senators in his pocket so he'll keep it in the US and as each day passes i think philly will get this.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Montgomery County, Denver, Boston.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:05 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,264,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Montgomery County, Denver, Boston.
The location montco is offering isn't great.

If this was downtown bethesda, it would be different. i believe they are offering the area near the white flint metro which is outside of the beltway.

it isn't a walkable urban area which seems to be high on their list given what amzn real estate chief has said

Old 02-19-2018, 10:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
^^Those were my results from the quiz. I'm not familiar with MontCo. Denver, no, the governor publicly said he doesn't really want Amazon. Boston? Maybe.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:02 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
The location montco is offering isn't great.

If this was downtown bethesda, it would be different. i believe they are offering the area near the white flint metro which is outside of the beltway.

it isn't a walkable urban area which seems to be high on their list given what amzn real estate chief has said
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
^^Those were my results from the quiz. I'm not familiar with MontCo.
It's Montgomery County, Maryland, right outside Washington, DC. The White Flint Metro is not what I considered walkable when I lived in DC, but "walkable" often means something different now. White Flint was an upscale shopping mall (RIP, 2015), mostly notable when it opened in 1977 because I Magnin and Bloomingdale's were two of its original anchors. The area near the mall, particularly Nicholson Lane, had some of the area's best Chinese (and later other Asian) restaurants. I haven't lived there in long enough to know if this is still the case.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:37 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,772,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
It's Montgomery County, Maryland, right outside Washington, DC. The White Flint Metro is not what I considered walkable when I lived in DC, but "walkable" often means something different now. White Flint was an upscale shopping mall (RIP, 2015), mostly notable when it opened in 1977 because I Magnin and Bloomingdale's were two of its original anchors. The area near the mall, particularly Nicholson Lane, had some of the area's best Chinese (and later other Asian) restaurants. I haven't lived there in long enough to know if this is still the case.
They wouldn't get their walkable urban environment there, and they'd be paying high salaries in that area, and employees who live in NoVa would have a bad commute. Another note is that while there would be rail to Reagan National airport and (eventually) Dulles, on the metro, both of those would require a train change and a pretty long train ride. I could maybe see them choosing Mont. Co for an office, but not the main second HQ office.

I think what they want to do with the main second HQ is over time, maybe 5-10 years, shift many of the positions from Seattle to a lower cost area with less competition for tech jobs, and while keeping the 'official' HQ in Seattle they would stabilize the bulk of the workforce in the chosen new HQ.

Last edited by _Buster; 02-20-2018 at 09:57 AM..

Old 02-20-2018, 09:59 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,945 times
the original rfp doesn't list walkability as a requirement. as noted below:

In choosing the location for HQ2, Amazon has a preference for:
 Metropolitan areas with more than one million people
 A stable and business-friendly environment
 Urban or suburban locations with the potential to attract and retain strong technical talent
 Communities that think big and creatively when considering locations and real estate options
HQ2 could be, but does not have to be:
 An urban or downtown campus
 A similar layout to Amazon’s Seattle campus
 A development-prepped site. We want to encourage states/provinces and communities to think
creatively for viable real estate options, while not negatively affecting our preferred timeline

Old 02-20-2018, 07:57 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,389,102 times
Regardless, Amazon is expanding.

Amazon expansion on South Side to add 125 jobs | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh