Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2018, 08:39 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,771,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
As much fun as it was to dream, lets face it Pittsburgh has no chance. If Amazon was okay with growing a city and with that would be they would have some power that would work, but they seem to want everything in place right now. Probably Boston or some other bigger city that can just have what they need right away. I think we are dead in this since they haven't even looked at Pittsburgh. It was nice to see us included though.
Well the same thing has been said about 500 times in this thread, and I think many times by you, why keep repeating it? Boston does not have everything they need - they don't have reasonable salaries, or housing costs, and it would probably be tough to keep employees in a competetive market like that, especially with Amazon's bad reputation as a workplace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 08:11 PM

377 posts, read 667,114 times
I vaguely recall from somewhere that the plan was for another "cut" to around 5 finalists and those 5 would be given the opportunity to present/negotiate a very detailed "Best and Final" offer/plan/bribe. If I were Amazon, I'd do just that to refute the common perception that DC or Boston were always the choices and the horse race is just a huge cover up.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:14 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Well the same thing has been said about 500 times in this thread, and I think many times by you, why keep repeating it? Boston does not have everything they need - they don't have reasonable salaries, or housing costs, and it would probably be tough to keep employees in a competetive market like that, especially with Amazon's bad reputation as a workplace.
Actually I have flipped flopped back and forth on this matter quite a bit.

Hope they come here as it would be great for our nice city, but I sort of doubt it. Rightfully so. We just don't have the airport and infrastructure in place for them.

Old 04-14-2018, 01:48 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,771,337 times
Quote:
Actually I have flipped flopped back and forth on this matter quite a bit.

Hope they come here as it would be great for our nice city, but I sort of doubt it. Rightfully so. We just don't have the airport and infrastructure in place for them.
Yeah I hear ya. But I actually think Pittsburgh would be a better fit for them than Boston or DC. to me, Atlanta , Philly and Chicago are more likely. But I don't think the airport is as big a deal as others. Really are there many people besides top executives who routinely fly around for meetings anymore? it just isn't necessary in the digital age, even if they listed it.

Old 04-14-2018, 06:34 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Yeah I hear ya. But I actually think Pittsburgh would be a better fit for them than Boston or DC. to me, Atlanta , Philly and Chicago are more likely. But I don't think the airport is as big a deal as others. Really are there many people besides top executives who routinely fly around for meetings anymore? it just isn't necessary in the digital age, even if they listed it.
I also feel Pittsburgh is the best fit. Much less expensive, an airport that can grow to fit needs and plenty of room to grow around here. The big cities are so much more money for the employees as well. People can still buy homes here for a reasonable price compared to DC and Boston. Not sure about Atlanta though, but that airport is already the busiest in the USA, which IMHO isn't a bonus if you are Amazon.

Still it just seems we are being overlooked.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:11 AM

2 posts, read 1,419 times
While this discussion comparing the walkability of Pittsburgh's suburbs to those of New Jersey and other areas is academically interesting, why would it possibly matter in terms of whether Amazon comes to Pittsburgh? Amazon is going to pick the city based on economics and talent base and logistics, not whether Sewickley is as "nice" as Haddonfield or Upper Montclair.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:59 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,899,604 times
Quote:
plenty of room to grow around here.
The infrastructure here can't support the massive growth that Amazon would bring.

Parkway North is a mess. Rialto St is closed. Heading North is a headache.
Route 30 is messed up. Heading East is a headache.
Liberty Bridge is still a cluster storm of utter crap. Heading South is a headache.

Public transit is a joke, unless you live along the Busway (in the East End Centre of the Universe), or near a T station in the South Hills.

Pittsburgh is always going to be a middling, medium-sized city. The infrastructure and topography here make anything else impossible.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:49 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,916,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
The infrastructure here can't support the massive growth that Amazon would bring.

Parkway North is a mess. Rialto St is closed. Heading North is a headache.
Route 30 is messed up. Heading East is a headache.
Liberty Bridge is still a cluster storm of utter crap. Heading South is a headache.

Public transit is a joke, unless you live along the Busway (in the East End Centre of the Universe), or near a T station in the South Hills.

Pittsburgh is always going to be a middling, medium-sized city. The infrastructure and topography here make anything else impossible.
There clearly isn’t construction anywhere else in the world, or even traffic for that matter.

Old 04-15-2018, 02:00 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,200,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
There clearly isn’t construction anywhere else in the world, or even traffic for that matter.
tyovan4 isn’t wrong...so why would Amazon choose an area with all of these issues when they don’t have to?

Old 04-15-2018, 02:15 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,899,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
There isn't anywhere else in the world with as many bridges (traffic funnels/chokepoints) - not even Venice, Italy.

Tell me anywhere else Amazon is considering that has had homes taken out by landslides (whose homeowners aren't protected by insurance), who has a major highway taken out by a landslide, and who has its other major highways or bridges under construction. All at the same time.

Tell me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh