Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2018, 04:45 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,861,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
There is an interesting article in City Lab about this, and there is backlash in almost all of the 20 finalist cities, mainly from community groups and mainly because no city is releasing their full proposals.
I wouldn’t put too much stock in the opinions of groups whose entire existence is based on finding thiings to be outraged about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 09:00 PM

271 posts, read 330,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I wouldn’t put too much stock in the opinions of groups whose entire existence is based on finding thiings to be outraged about.
Odds are that 95% of them are also Amazon Prime subscribers.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:49 AM

68 posts, read 53,259 times
Is there a topic which doesn't divide the public? Given today's media and social media exposure levels, I can't imagine there not being disagreement about something that will affect a city so significantly.

With that in mind, the amount of anti-hq2 activism we're seeing is relatively low. If anything, it is an indicator of Pgh being receptive. Or stated another way, it is as receptive as just about any city would be. Dealing with the public will be a factor no matter where Amazon locates. They probably view the level of hq2 nimbyism in Pittsburgh as attractive.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:41 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,384,463 times
Heard that Amazon might take another couple of months to try and further reduce the contenders to just 3. I think Pittsburgh is weak on transit, tech workforce, and airport destinations.

Old 06-20-2018, 06:45 AM

37,028 posts, read 39,106,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
Heard that Amazon might take another couple of months to try and further reduce the contenders to just 3. I think Pittsburgh is weak on transit, tech workforce, and airport destinations.
The second and third one can be addressed pretty quickly as Amazon has enough clout to pull people into Pittsburgh (plus, Pittsburgh itself can be a very attractive city) and the neighborhood schools pump out a steady number of high quality undergraduate and graduates every year that mostly leave Pittsburgh as there isn't enough employment at the moment, and the airport can easily add more flights as it used to be a major hub.

Transit will be a tougher one--they can conceivably bring the Brown Line back up and running pretty easily, but that still focuses all the rail transit in the same general location. There's also the old commuter rail service the city had before. What they really need though is better service to the East End.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:14 PM

912 posts, read 1,728,207 times
Peduto Says Amazon Competition A ‘Poker Game’ And City Shouldn’t Have To Reveal Its Cards

Literally gambling with taxpayer dollars

Old 07-11-2018, 01:23 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,384,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
You only have to "pay up" if you win "the hand".

Old 07-11-2018, 01:34 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,951,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
You only have to "pay up" if you win "the hand".
Doubtful Amazon is going to pick or reject a place purely on local incentives, so I think they should just give up and make the whole thing public. I doubt more and more that Amazon is seriously considering Pittsburgh and the farther we get into the year, the more I believe this was primarily a political stunt to put pressure on seattle more than grow their corporate presence.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:00 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,755,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Doubtful Amazon is going to pick or reject a place purely on local incentives, so I think they should just give up and make the whole thing public. I doubt more and more that Amazon is seriously considering Pittsburgh and the farther we get into the year, the more I believe this was primarily a political stunt to put pressure on seattle more than grow their corporate presence.

I don't think it's a political stunt. Not only because it would really damage their reputation, but also because Seattle has a tight labor market and has become very expensive both for companies and employees. They have a legit reason to want to extend the HQ to another city and region.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:13 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,951,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
I don't think it's a political stunt. Not only because it would really damage their reputation, but also because Seattle has a tight labor market and has become very expensive both for companies and employees. They have a legit reason to want to extend the HQ to another city and region.
They will expand, but I seriously doubt it will be anywhere other than the obvious places for the obvious reasons. The reason to make it public and create the bidding wars is to flex their economic might to those who matter in Seattle and gain concessions to reduce the scope of their eventual second corporate center. At this point, it’s a tossup between Boston or Atlanta, with Raleigh a distant third. Pittsburgh has a shot, but I think Amazon is more risk averse than portrayed and stacking itself in PIT would be a risky venture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh