Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2018, 08:03 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Do you have any evidence to back up your claim?
What are you talking about...?

Quote:
I think we are still reeling from the loss of USAirways and the 10,000 jobs that went to Charlotte with them.
Who's talking about the airlines? That's an entire separate conversation and not relevant to the discussion.

Quote:
PNC will have a bigger presence in North Carolina before long
What? Yes, they are growing in Pittsburgh and beyond. They are one of the largest banks in the country.

Bank of America has the largest office tower in Atlanta. So what? Does that mean anything to Charlotte?

Quote:
and Heinz is pretty much all gone to Chicago.
No, they haven't, but mergers happen.

Quote:
The 80s have been gone for 30 plus years now.
I didn't talk about the 80s.

Quote:
That’s a straw man argument.
I didn't make the "straw man argument" that you claimed.

I still hold that your insistence on ignoring facts and sticking to script that other banned members used consistently is very questionable - yet I attempted to respond in good faith and then you just continue on repeat and make responses like this...

You'll respond with your typical copy and paste.

Now, hopefully this thread can get back on topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 04:42 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Map of PNC's footprint in 2015:

By the way, if PNC is about to leave, then they're stupid as hell for building a brand-new, 545' tall skyscraper in a city that they're about to leave.

RDU lost its hub status a decade before PIT did.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:58 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
Do you have any evidence to back up your claim? We haven’t seen it yet around these parts. We have actually seen the opposite. Companies leaving the county or state for elsewhere. I think we are still reeling from the loss of USAirways and the 10,000 jobs that went to Charlotte with them. PNC will have a bigger presence in North Carolina before long and Heinz is pretty much all gone to Chicago. Natural gas drilling is probably the future of the burgh. The 80s have been gone for 30 plus years now. That’s a straw man argument. Maybe it’s just as simple as those embracing change to move forward and those resistant to change being left behind.

I am down in South Carolina for work and flew into Raleigh. If you think this city is inferior in size to Pittsburgh think again. This place has exploded with growth it will probably pass us in the next 10 to 20 years if not sooner. I think you need to get out to other cities more often and see what real growth is. I wouldn’t be surprised if they make a play for PNC Hq down the road. The future appears to be bright here. Follow the money and people that’s where amazon will go.

I think the 20 city amazon list is irrelevant. They probably already had a top 3 in mind. Who they chose and who they omitted after made no sense. You keep Indianapolis but omit Charlotte? You keep Pittsburgh and Philly, but omit Detroit? I don’t get it.
What little credibility you had, you lost when you said PNC will have a bigger presence in NC before long. And then it just became laughable when you think Raleigh will ever be an option for PNC headquarters.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:19 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Apples and oranges??? they are all on the Amazon list. dude, what are you talking about? all cities are different. none are them same. apples and oranges I guess. we can't compare any of them I guess becuase all are different. ohhhhh, those cities are on your small super-secret private list of cities that Amazon really wants, ok.

Also love how you tell other posters who you don't even know that they need to get and and travel more. that's really rich.unless they've stated that they don't travel much, you have no idea. Oh but you took that trip to Raleigh, I guess that tops all lol. News for you: most people on this board probably travel quite a bit.
I honestly have never been to Raleigh, but that's because I'm not going to waste my time travelling to somewhere as generic as Raleigh.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:25 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Map of PNC's footprint in 2015:

By the way, if PNC is about to leave, then they're stupid as hell for building a brand-new, 545' tall skyscraper in a city that they're about to leave.

RDU lost its hub status a decade before PIT did.
That map makes it pretty clear that the majority of their branches are in the north, why would they leave a location that is so central to a lot of their operations? Most corporations don't just pick up and leave cities like airlines do relatively easily.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:22 PM

615 posts, read 394,178 times
Wow... One statement about another city taken completely out of context and everybody has become a sensitive sally. We need this bests lists to help our self esteem and make us feel good about here. Evidently we aren’t secure enough to believe in our city.

Anyways, I am looking forward to the amazon thing ending. Let them choose so this overblown drama can end. I assure there will be one of two things that happen in Pittsburgh when Amazon makes the final announcement.

1. Amazon chooses Pittsburgh

This makes the tech geeks and a tiny block of the population prosperous and happy. It’s a win for the insecure folks and the politicians that can finally hang their hat on the potential for a job creator. This news will create a firestorm of protests with people demanding living wages and the worry of being priced out of their neighborhoods. The community groups neighborhoods will come with their hands out demanding investment. Others will probably sue to unionize and god knows what else. The project will probably get delayed until lawsuits and court cases are settled. You will have people priced out and angry protesters for a good while. It will be a huge growing pain and a seismic shift in culture. A rough ride for a few years indeed.

2. Amazon doesn’t choose Pittsburgh.

We hear for weeks after the announcement a post mortem analysis as to why we didn’t get the HQ. The politicians will turn out the excuse making machine in full gear. We will hear half truths and probably loads of propaganda to put a spin on it. We we all in for the HQ with no plan B and no 10 or 20 year plan. The same problems continue to be ignored while the Pittsburgh visitors bureau lobbies to get us on more bests list so everybody feels good about being here.

The real growth in new jobs ends up with the gas drilling industry and jobs not requiring a college degree. The Pittsburgh elites and insecure folks will never give credit to the gas industry because of their overblown environmental concerns even though it will be responsible for any new growth in the area. They will not acknowledge the good jobs without a degree thing either, because this lessens the importance of CMU and the university’s along with prestige of having a degree.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:48 PM

969 posts, read 772,376 times
Quote:
Wow... One statement about another city taken completely out of context and everybody has become a sensitive sally. We need this bests lists to help our self esteem and make us feel good about here. Evidently we aren’t secure enough to believe in our city.

Anyways, I am looking forward to the amazon thing ending. Let them choose so this overblown drama can end. I assure there will be one of two things that happen in Pittsburgh when Amazon makes the final announcement.

This makes the tech geeks and a tiny block of the population prosperous and happy. It’s a win for the insecure folks and the politicians that can finally hang their hat on the potential for a job creator. This news will create a firestorm of protests with people demanding living wages and the worry of being priced out of their neighborhoods. The community groups neighborhoods will come with their hands out demanding investment. Others will probably sue to unionize and god knows what else. The project will probably get delayed until lawsuits and court cases are settled. You will have people priced out and angry protesters for a good while. It will be a huge growing pain and a seismic shift in culture. A rough ride for a few years indeed.

We hear for weeks after the announcement a post mortem analysis as to why we didn’t get the HQ. The politicians will turn out the excuse making machine in full gear. We will hear half truths and probably loads of propaganda to put a spin on it. We we all in for the HQ with no plan B and no 10 or 20 year plan. The same problems continue to be ignored while the Pittsburgh visitors bureau lobbies to get us on more bests list so everybody feels good about being here.

The real growth in new jobs ends up with the gas drilling industry and jobs not requiring a college degree. The Pittsburgh elites and insecure folks will never give credit to the gas industry because of their overblown environmental concerns even though it will be responsible for any new growth in the area. They will not acknowledge the good jobs without a degree thing either, because this lessens the importance of CMU and the university’s along with prestige of having a degree.
What part of Pittsburgh do you live in?

Old 07-21-2018, 02:49 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
Quote:

I could care less about your Amazon comments, but you hot air about PNC was beyond stupid. I am not sure how those comments could be taken out of context either. So now I dont even read what you post because you are so off base with some comments that it removes all chance that the rest of your comments could hold value.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:50 AM

Between the ridiculous PNC comments, the endless straw men and recycled comments from multiple banned accounts, it's time that this thread got back on topic...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/19/o...urgh-jobs.html

Old 07-24-2018, 04:00 PM

Not a HQ2 article, but relevant nonetheless...

From the MIT Technology Review...

Quote:
Pittsburgh is reinventing itself, using the advances in automation, robots, and artificial intelligence coming out of its schools—particularly Carnegie Mellon University (CMU)—to try to create a high-tech economy. Lawrenceville, five miles from Hazelwood, has become a center for US development of self-driving cars. Uber Advanced Technologies occupies a handful of industrial buildings; self-driving startups Argo AI and Aurora Innovation are nearby. Even Caterpillar has set up shop, working on autonomous backhoes and other heavy machines that could one day operate themselves.

Quote:
This has drawn billions of dollars from Silicon Valley and elsewhere
It notes the well documented struggles of course as well.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6...ed-more-of-it/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh