Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2018, 06:39 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,312,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Great point. Look at our housing stock. We have so many homes that would cost a million or more to build today just sitting there waiting for someone to fix them back up. Luckily they are fixing many of them up in the core areas. I just drove down Negley in Highland Park and was impressed that some of those HUGE homes are being fixed up. The steel industry built our city and we still have those bones. Look at Perry Hilltop and Observatory Hill. Those homes are incredible and some are being saved, but not nearly enough. We really could use Amazon just to rebuild those once incredible neighborhoods. Just think about little places like Sharpsburg, Etna, Homestead (well not little) and other areas that are just waiting to get back to their glory days. It could happen if we get Amazon. It isn't a very likely chance, but I can't help but to think about all are areas that are so run down, that could be saved. East Liberty lost a lot of great places, but it is reinventing itself even with the crazy violent crime there. Still can't get that poor fellow that lost his life the other day delivering a damn pizza in the middle of broad daylight. Makes me sick.

Anyway, we could use the shot in the arm, but even without Amazon, I think we will do pretty well. We just need to be more progressive and don't let the idiot protestors that block jobs like that Whole Foods expansion destroy our city and hold it back. We need progressive thinking, not protestors hanging on to the good old days of dilapidation and tons of litter.
Yes, it's better to have a large industry, benefit from it, and plan to maintain it and/or diversify and become less reliant on it, than to just never have industries come. As was pointed out, UPMC would still be our largest employer. Amazon would just help us be more diversified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post
Is that being considered? Cranberry would be a fantastic landing spot for Amazon. There's so much to do up there. I loved working up there. At lunch I had so many options for food, for going to the park, playing frisbee golf, etc. and it's even better than it was then!
There's a segment of people in the region attracted to living in Cranberry. Would "Come to Cranberry, PA" really attract people from outside the region though? Will people love the area if they come visit or do a job interview? Ideally, we'd be bringing in lots of talent from the outside rather than just shuffling people who already live in the region. I'm sure some outsiders would come but I'm not sure it's the ideal selling spot.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:24 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Is Cranberry still in the running?

Hey Yinz Guys, I was just jaggin' n'at when I brought that up. Thought it would be fun since most urban types seem to despise Soulless Cranberry with a passion. But, not all Amazon types love living in the city, maybe they would like a campus like setting in the 'burbs. Maybe out by the airport, seems to be a lot of empty space. Cranberry is just getting too crowded, nobody moves there anymore.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Hey Yinz Guys, I was just jaggin' n'at when I brought that up. Thought it would be fun since most urban types seem to despise Soulless Cranberry with a passion. But, not all Amazon types love living in the city, maybe they would like a campus like setting in the 'burbs. Maybe out by the airport, seems to be a lot of empty space. Cranberry is just getting too crowded, nobody moves there anymore.
Oh I see. I think if Amazon was going to have multiple locations in the region, at least one should be surburban.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:40 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,900,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Just think about little places like Sharpsburg, Etna, Homestead (well not little) and other areas that are just waiting to get back to their glory days. It could happen if we get Amazon.
The glory days of Etna? Tenements and a steel mill?

Gentrification has been happening slowly, but steadily, in Etna.. More businesses have been developing and choosing to locate in Etna. There is still a lot of room for growth and renaissance in the business district.

I live there and I prefer slow, steady growth. Not the "world turned upside down" type of impact that Amazon would bring.

Not everyone wants to live in a place like Lawrenceville.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post

Gentrification has been happening slowly, but steadily, in Etna.. More businesses have been developing and choosing to locate in Etna. There is still a lot of room for growth and renaissance in the business district.

I live there and I prefer slow, steady growth. Not the "world turned upside down" type of impact that Amazon would bring.

But there's no guarantee you'll continue to get slow growth. I also don't think 50K employees over a decade or two would turn the world upside down.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:53 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
But there's no guarantee you'll continue to get slow growth. I also don't think 50K employees over a decade or two would turn the world upside down.
In a decade or two, there will be far fewer jobs due to automation. It will not just impact low skill jobs. IT will be severely impacted, as will lower rung management. Education will join the 21st century by then too.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:56 AM

684 posts, read 419,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
There's a segment of people in the region attracted to living in Cranberry. Would "Come to Cranberry, PA" really attract people from outside the region though? Will people love the area if they come visit or do a job interview? Ideally, we'd be bringing in lots of talent from the outside rather than just shuffling people who already live in the region. I'm sure some outsiders would come but I'm not sure it's the ideal selling spot.
In terms of marketing the region, I'm sure that Pittsburgh and all that you can do would be included (symphony, concerts, sports teams, heck even Ohiopyle, etc.)

Cranberry just would provide a great area for the actual offices (free parking, etc.)

Old 10-16-2018, 11:21 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post

Erna was a nice little town with a business district in its glory days. Not everyone wants to live high on the hog.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:46 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,131,042 times
Yeah and that is the nice thing about this area, on average people are not as materialistic. I know there are still some that show off but I know Dr and Lawyers who have an average house and car. Many people buy a house and never move and keep their car until they NEED a new one. I grew up in NJ which is not like that and assumed that is how people were, everyone trying to one up each other. I managed some disaster work after Sandy hit and one person who came in to work was from Montana, his first comment to me after being there a week was how does everyone seem to have a new car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh