Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2018, 01:42 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,388,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
It’s highly unlikely they’d come here for a second time without meeting with Peduto or someone not knowing about it.
Amazon has stressed keeping quiet about it. The worst thing Peduto could do is make a big deal about a 2nd visit. I just don't know what the hold up is for? Is it really the case that Amazon is having a hard time making up their mind? If not, what are they waiting for? Looks like they want to use up the whole year and deadline to announce their decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 02:18 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,186,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
Amazon has stressed keeping quiet about it. The worst thing Peduto could do is make a big deal about a 2nd visit. I just don't know what the hold up is for? Is it really the case that Amazon is having a hard time making up their mind? If not, what are they waiting for? Looks like they want to use up the whole year and deadline to announce their decision.
If they were here it’s extremely likely that someone would know and spill the beans to the media and the media would have a field day with it.

The holdup could likely be that they have a top 5 or maybe 3 and are looking for the best possible deal they can get from those choices.

It is ridiculous, but they’re likely just milking it for all it’s worth. I’d still bet the house that they’re not coming here, though.

Old 10-24-2018, 02:29 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,962,159 times
I read early on last year that Amazon always makes big announcements after Thanksgiving and during the holiday season, for some reason. I guess it gets them maximum coverage.

Old 10-24-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
If they were here it’s extremely likely that someone would know and spill the beans to the media and the media would have a field day with it.
Their first visit almost went unnoticed. Wasn't it Peduto that informed us that it happened?

Quote:
The holdup could likely be that they have a top 5 or maybe 3 and are looking for the best possible deal they can get from those choices.
Amazon could increase the pressure by releasing those city names. It'd be kinder of them to inform the country which cities have been eliminated from further consideration.

Quote:
It is ridiculous, but they’re likely just milking it for all it’s worth. I’d still bet the house that they’re not coming here, though.
Probably a safe bet as Pittsburgh doesn't seem to be on the "radar" according to the experts.

Old 10-24-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Their first visit almost went unnoticed. Wasn't it Peduto that informed us that it happened?

Amazon could increase the pressure by releasing those city names. It'd be kinder of them to inform the country which cities have been eliminated from further consideration.

Probably a safe bet as Pittsburgh doesn't seem to be on the "radar" according to the experts.
Don’t remember as I never expected them to come here and thought paying big money for a proposal was a waste of money.

They’re businessmen and could care less about being kind. They could be trying to create a better deal from all the cites by not releasing them.

I don’t think Pittsburgh ever was, especially according to any experts.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:20 PM

615 posts, read 393,577 times
Quote:
Don’t remember as I never expected them to come here and thought paying big money for a proposal was a waste of money.

They’re businessmen and could care less about being kind. They could be trying to create a better deal from all the cites by not releasing them.

I am glad there is somebody else who gets it on here. Brilliant marketing ploy and strategy to get your top choices to outbid each other. All the free press this gave them plus the incentives. I think we are seeing who the real contenders are. Pittsburgh was just a throw in. It could’ve been Detroit or Charlotte just as easy.

I wouldn’t want them here anyways. All the cities should be ashamed of themselves. Huge mistake giving freebies to them. Look no further then Seattle. The homeless problem is real and the locals blame amazon for the expensive mess the city has become.

I can only imagine how bad the Pittsburgh bid is for the local taxpayers. Peduto and Fitz along with that non profit lady need to be held accountable. If it was so good of a deal and not a crookerd document they would release it. I’m willing to bet some of the giveaways probably broke the law. I hope the news keeps up the pressure and jumps on them with both feet. The local government has never been trustworthy nor have they given any indication of changing. Look at the recent news about the airport and the board member that was part of the one jet debacle. It is blind faith to trust them. If any political swamp needs drained it is Pittsburgh city and Allegheny county government.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:38 PM

432 posts, read 359,325 times
If I were Amazon, best case would be to announce that "Amazon proudly announces that we HAVE PURCHASED property for our HQ2 in the following city." Any announcement of the HQ2 choice will be followed immediately by a spike in asking prices for any property in that market. A third party would have been working on deals for the past couple of months under a NDA with draconian financial penalties for a premature release of information.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Can't have a bidding war without knowing what a competitor is offering.

Quote:
Pittsburgh was mentioned in the initial round of "guessing", in some cases in the top 5. A New Yorker wrote in the NYT his guess as the winner being Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh would be a good choice, the only possible negatives I can think of is Pittsburgh's ability to attract talent and access to and service offered by the airport.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Can't have a bidding war without knowing what a competitor is offering.

Pittsburgh was mentioned in the initial round of "guessing", in some cases in the top 5. A New Yorker wrote in the NYT his guess as the winner being Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh would be a good choice, the only possible negatives I can think of is Pittsburgh's ability to attract talent and access to and service offered by the airport.
Sealed bids happen all the time. No reason those bids can’t be sweetened and someone overpays out of desperation just because they don’t know who the competitors are.

Is he an “expert” or just guessing?

I never saw it happening but it’s certainly not over.

Last edited by erieguy; 10-24-2018 at 08:35 PM..

Old 10-25-2018, 10:31 AM

615 posts, read 393,577 times
Quote:
That is a pretty big deal don’t you think? Why would you put a business in a place where it has difficulty attracting talent and poor access to the airport? Those are pretty two critical things and may actually be the top two most important things to amazon. So when you state Pittsburgh is a good choice but we can’t attract talent too well and the access to the most critical transportation infrastructure to the region lacks is like saying and believing you can live without your heart and lungs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh