Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2017, 09:17 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,771,337 times

Advertisements

Why is it that threads like these always get so bickering and tiresome?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 09:39 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Always with the snide, eh?

In point of fact, AS I SAID LAST NIGHT, I did a search to see how many other cities were talking about this. I have not been following ANY of these threads, as I was in Omaha for a FUNERAL and did not have much computer access until last night when we got home. I logged into CD and here's the Pittsburgh thread about Amazon going great guns, including a post with 11 points about how Pittsburgh "is the place" (didn't Brigham Young say something like that one time in the Utah desert?) including something about Pittsburgh's "coolness factor" compared to such slummy cities as Seattle, Austin, Salt Lake City, Minneapolis, Atlanta, and yes, Denver. Oh, and Pittsburgh, presumably alone of all the cities on some "list" has a public transit system!

If anything, the Denver people (but apparently not the mayor) are lukewarm, as is Minneapolis, the only two cities whose threads I read. I have a daughter in Mpls, FWIW.
This has come up in other topics (like the Google presence in Pittsburgh)--you seem to find it laughable or unusual that in a Pittsburgh-specific forum, Pittsburgh residents are discussing the pros and cons of a news item/business proposition that could affect Pittsburgh. Yeah, lots of other cities have been discussed, too, but we're discussing Pittsburgh here because this isn't the Denver or the Minneapolis or where ever forum.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:39 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
I would say any city not in the east would be out. Forget Denver and Chicago, they have no chance. My bet is on Boston. Outside chance would be Pittsburgh and Atlanta. Pittsburgh is an interesting choice as it would be able to mold the city more since our airport is so under used. That could be an advantage to Amazon. Also, Pittsburgh is growing into something different at the moment and that could also be beneficial to a giant like Amazon, since it could have a say in how Pittsburgh redevelops. Boston wouldn't be as easy to manipulate into what Amazon wants. Still Boston will be tough to beat due to their proximity to the massive population in that area. I would only focus on cities in the east and just forget the midwest. Pittsburgh would be as far west as Amazon will consider and it might be too far west.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:58 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I would say any city not in the east would be out. Forget Denver and Chicago, they have no chance. My bet is on Boston. Outside chance would be Pittsburgh and Atlanta. Pittsburgh is an interesting choice as it would be able to mold the city more since our airport is so under used. That could be an advantage to Amazon. Also, Pittsburgh is growing into something different at the moment and that could also be beneficial to a giant like Amazon, since it could have a say in how Pittsburgh redevelops. Boston wouldn't be as easy to manipulate into what Amazon wants. Still Boston will be tough to beat due to their proximity to the massive population in that area. I would only focus on cities in the east and just forget the midwest. Pittsburgh would be as far west as Amazon will consider and it might be too far west.
I just don't understand why Amazon would choose a city as expensive as Boston. Why not just expand in Seattle or go all the way and pick New York?

Old 09-13-2017, 10:02 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
I still like the idea of Amazon choosing Detroit. If it's going to revitalize a city, pick the one that's got the most to gain.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:03 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I just don't understand why Amazon would choose a city as expensive as Boston. Why not just expand in Seattle or go all the way and pick New York?
I think there's still a fair amount of free land available in the South Boston Waterfront. It's pretty unusual for a world-class city to have that much land available for buildout right near their CBD. Of course it's still not a large enough footprint for Amazon unless they chose to go very vertical. Unusually, the mayor of Boston has made it clear they are not interested in trying to incentivize Amazon to come to the area with sweetheart deals either.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:18 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Why is it that threads like these always get so bickering and tiresome?
The rate things are going, if someone starts a thread about Halloween decorations in October, we'll hear all about how other cities have jack o lanterns too.

OTOH people have to stop taking the bait.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:32 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
They are looking for proximity mostly. People are mentioning Detroit, Denver and Chicago? That isn't going to happen. It will be in the east. Boston is pretty expensive, but the proximity is great for them. I don't know if Boston will bend over backwards however. GE moved its headquarters to Boston recently. Talk about a giant company. It will be interesting. Many articles I have read don't even mention Pittsburgh, but they do mention Denver, which is not very bright on their part, but people writing the articles have zero business sense and aren't very bright to begin with. Denver is much too close to the west and makes NO sense at all. Only eastern cities will be considered just from a business/proximity standpoint. The masses are on the east coast and west coast, so the east is one of the only obvious parts of the puzzle.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:35 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
They are looking for proximity mostly. People are mentioning Detroit, Denver and Chicago? That isn't going to happen. It will be in the east. Boston is pretty expensive, but the proximity is great for them. I don't know if Boston will bend over backwards however. GE moved its headquarters to Boston recently. Talk about a giant company. It will be interesting. Many articles I have read don't even mention Pittsburgh, but they do mention Denver, which is not very bright on their part. Denver is much too close to the west and makes NO sense at all. Only eastern cities will be considered just from a business/proximity standpoint. The masses are on the east coast and west coast, so the east is one of the only obvious parts of the puzzle.
What if Amazon's long term strategy would be to eventually consolidate into one HQ? Then Denver, or Chicago would make a lot of sense. Of course they aren't going to say that now.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:36 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,771,337 times
About Boston, remember that besides being expensive its also pretty far east. Flights to Seattle are 6.5 hours which is pretty brutal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh