Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2017, 01:17 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...ters-city.html (Dallas)
//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...n-chances.html (Austin))

Sorry these aren't in alaphabetical order. I did a search for "Amazon"; these are the cities that have threads with "Amazon" in the title. There may be many others.
I wouldn't be surprised if Bezos chose Texas or Florida. He has ties to each and is heavily invested in Texas. Texas and Florida are both more business friendly than Washington State. Pittsburgh is going to have more tech competition in the future...https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/13/as...r-vc-and-tech/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 01:24 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Bezos chose Texas or Florida. He has ties to each and is heavily invested in Texas. Texas and Florida are both more business friendly than Washington State.
Texas is not notably more business friendly regarding its state taxes than Washington. Last I checked Texas was #14 nationally, and Washington #17.

The people I know from Austin say it would be a terrible location for Amazon to locate. The local traffic has become a nightmare with the population boom, and the transit system is still too skeletal to put any dent in it. Basically Austin's infrastructure can't absorb that sort of job growth, since it's barely keeping up as it is.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Cns View Post
Is it? I feel like we're just discussing pros and cons using their wishlist as a metric.
Oh? See the OP, below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Amazon has announced that it's looking for a city to be a second headquarters. They insist that I will be for equal of the Seattle headquarters, bringing up to 50,000 jobs with it. Do your yinzer best to tell me why it should'tt be in Pittsburgh.
From the first 40 posts:

Quote:
It should be noted that it was an already has a presence here. They have a local office that works on optimizing Alexa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
Efforts recruiting would likely be a big effect when it comes to such a large office. It is possible to find maybe 1000 people willing to relocate to an area without a major city nearby, but 50000 is a lot. I don't think Columbus or Research Triangle to get that.

There are many people that work in tech that are more than a little annoyed that all the job centers tend to be in expensive areas, SF, Silicon Valley, Seattle, LA, NYC, Northern VA, Boston, etc. They should really look at cities that have room to expand. There are cities like Detroit, or Cleveland that were much higher population in the past and so have room to house more people without skyrocketing cost of living. I imagine with a decent set of nearby universities and small office for Apple, Uber and Google, and admittedly a significant amount of vacant formerly residential lots, Pittsburgh might be able to make the case that they could be a good recruiting location, without the backlash of skyrocketing cost of living like SF, further expansion in Seattle, LA, or NYC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITairport View Post
This is the first thing that popped into my mind when I read this news:

Confidential Project - AE7

Seems like that development on the Civic Arena site would be perfect for Amazon.

PC Magazine seems to think Pittsburgh would be a good match:
https://www.pcmag.com/news/356056/6-...-us-headquarte
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
This site thinks Pittsburgh is one a few cities that makes the most sense...

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/six-ci...-headquarters/

Yes, it does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
They are talking 50,000 jobs. Wow. That would make up for the steel industry. Instantly make whatever city they choose a 2nd Silicon Valley. CMU had better step up, and PA, give whatever tax breaks they want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Something I haven't seen mentioned in this thread or anywhere else. Amazon has a booming film and television business. Wouldn't that bump Pittsburgh up a notch over some of these other cities?
Quote:
Pittsburgh is tied for the lead in the General U.S. forum poll for this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
We're now comfortably in first place. Pittsburgh is one of the most logical choices for Amazon, actually. MUCH cheaper overhead and labor costs than the typical larger coastal cities while we still have a great quality-of-life, decent mass transit, a good airport, increasing cycling infrastructure, generally low violent crime, and not prone to disruptive natural disasters. Bezos can also build a legacy for himself as being a huge part of Pittsburgh's "Comeback Story". Trump's America can more easily identify with Pittsburgh than with Seattle because our metro area is very socially conservative, so an investment here could also win over more clients who would otherwise boycott a "liberal company". I could say the same for Detroit or Cleveland but feel like we're better poised for this.
Quote:
I agree that PGH should get this. As far as the amenities and infrastructure go, if you like living in Seattle you would like Pittsburgh and vice versa. In fact, of all the "top contenders" people have been throwing around, I would say Pittsburgh is the most similar with the possible exception of MSP., but I would give PGH the tech/university edge there. Also PGH is central to east coast/Midwest/great lakes/southeast, no too much west of MSP.
Quote:
I believe so - CMU and Pitt are already significant in tech, provide talent and helped grow a presence of other big name tech companies.

This will be a challenge to get for all cities involved, but Pittsburgh does have great assets and amenities coupled with a very livable cost of living compared to coastal cities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
Who knows, Amazon might be the boost to the Mon Valley we've been looking for. At least maybe for housing.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:33 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Texas is not notably more business friendly regarding its state taxes than Washington. Last I checked Texas was #14 nationally, and Washington #17.

The people I know from Austin say it would be a terrible location for Amazon to locate. The local traffic has become a nightmare with the population boom, and the transit system is still too skeletal to put any dent in it. Basically Austin's infrastructure can't absorb that sort of job growth, since it's barely keeping up as it is.
Dallas/Fort Worth has been mentioned as a top contender.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:36 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,137,361 times
Again, we saw your posts the first time. Can we move on now?/Can't wait 'til some irrelevant comments are deleted.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:36 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,959,166 times
Quote:

Ugh..I hope not, Dallas is insufferable as it is.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:40 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times
Quote:
Again, we saw your posts the first time. Can we move on now?/Can't wait 'til some irrelevant comments are deleted.
Seconded. Its clear that some people here have nothing better to do than scan the posts and play pretend moderator, or turn the Pittsburgh forum into another city vs city forum, which is an albatross on any real discussion.

Last edited by _Buster; 09-13-2017 at 01:50 PM..

Old 09-13-2017, 01:51 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Quote:
Dallas lacks top universities and has poor transit. I would be really, really surprised if Amazon chose that location.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:54 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,137,361 times
Quote:
Dallas lacks top universities and has poor transit. I would be really, really surprised if Amazon chose that location.
Amazon clearly has a vision, based on what we know from the RFP and from what they have done in Seattle. It will be interesting to see where this lands.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:11 PM

147 posts, read 182,783 times
Quote:
Amazon has announced that it's looking for a city to be a second headquarters. They insist that I will be for equal of the Seattle headquarters, bringing up to 50,000 jobs with it. Do your yinzer best to tell me why it should'tt be in Pittsburgh.
Creating that many amazon.com jobs to Pgh would enormously increase the COL here. No thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh