Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2017, 10:17 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Lots of people don’t have healthcare at all.
Who cares? I lived without stupid health insurance for 20 years! It is a scam just like car insurance, that I have paid into for 20+ years and NEVER claimed on dime!!! Even if I had some wreck I wouldn't claim it since my rates would skyrocket. Just another scam. Homeowners? Same CRAP!!!!!! Anytime the government gets involved in ANYTHING it will cost us more. Guaranteed student loans from our government? BOOM, tuition through the roof and banks make a fortune. Government gets involved in healthcare? BOOM!!!!!!!!! Prices for everything goes up 10 fold! I am NOT for any of it. Competition is the only answer. Keep government out of it all and we can all pay as we go. If you start getting government to guarantee money, we are sunk. Why trust the government????? Geez!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 10:27 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,200,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Who cares? I lived without stupid health insurance for 20 years! It is a scam just like car insurance, that I have paid into for 20+ years and NEVER claimed on dime!!! Even if I had some wreck I wouldn't claim it since my rates would skyrocket. Just another scam. Homeowners? Same CRAP!!!!!! Anytime the government gets involved in ANYTHING it will cost us more. Guaranteed student loans from our government? BOOM, tuition through the roof and banks make a fortune. Government gets involved in healthcare? BOOM!!!!!!!!! Prices for everything goes up 10 fold! I am NOT for any of it. Competition is the only answer. Keep government out of it all and we can all pay as we go. If you start getting government to guarantee money, we are sunk. Why trust the government????? Geez!
There is competition in insurance and healthcare. Perhaps if Amazon comes here you can get a job with them and get better healthcare insurance.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:24 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,388,881 times
I'm worried that Amazon will go to a city that really doesn't need it. Pittsburgh is trying to complete its transformation to a tech hub, but is a bit short. Amazon would put Pittsburgh over the top and establish it as a tech hub. Guesses are all over the place but it's looking more and more like Atlanta. Atlanta would be a terrible choice, all that Amazon would provide would be wasted on Atlanta. Pittsburgh has got the density, and Amazon would infill so much. Any of Pittsburgh's shortcomings would be taken care of merely by Amazon's presence.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:34 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
I'm worried that Amazon will go to a city that really doesn't need it. Pittsburgh is trying to complete its transformation to a tech hub, but is a bit short. Amazon would put Pittsburgh over the top and establish it as a tech hub. Guesses are all over the place but it's looking more and more like Atlanta. Atlanta would be a terrible choice, all that Amazon would provide would be wasted on Atlanta. Pittsburgh has got the density, and Amazon would infill so much. Any of Pittsburgh's shortcomings would be taken care of merely by Amazon's presence.
I’m with you. I’d like to see them go somewhere like Detroit or Baltimore, if they don’t come here. No sense in consolidating more of our economic power in a handful of thriving cities.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:52 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Just a little reminder. What company is the largest employer in Pittsburgh? UPMC followed by Pitt. Why? Because we give them the world with their tax free status. I think we should give Amazon a lot. It works as we can clearly see by UPMC/Pitt. What if we didn't have them? Yep, cooperate welfare works and works well contrary to people that don't know the first thing about business.
really? Here's the thing It works for the people who actually get employed, for the cities?? not so much. Philadelphia wants to promise Amazon the moon and back but here's the thing, exactly who's going to pay for the demands the company wants?

seriously, I totally admit I'm not a business person, I'm a chemist but from what I've seen the winner in corporate welfare is well the corporation and the stockholders. In Philly and New Jersey the so called trickle down has yet to make it to the bottom.

How is it supposed to work? once again, that's a serious question, I'm not a "business" person. didn't even take bookkeeping

Old 12-19-2017, 06:35 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,899,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
Any of Pittsburgh's shortcomings would be taken care of merely by Amazon's presence.
And create new problems.
Transportation. Gentrification/affordability.
Pittsburgh needs to stop looking over the horizon in a pompous attempt to prove how hip and relevant it is, while attempting to re-invent the wheel - and needs to focus more time and attention on addressing the unglamorous bread-and-butter issues of day-to-day governance.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:14 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
And create new problems.
Pittsburgh needs to stop looking over the horizon in a pompous attempt to prove how hip and relevant it is, while attempting to re-invent the wheel - and needs to focus more time and attention on addressing the unglamorous bread-and-butter issues of day-to-day governance.
I disagree....the only thing that’s going to improve things like transportation & infrastructure is more gentrification & decent jobs to fill the coffers......given how much of the city remains ungentrified there’s still a lot of room to grow before affordability truly becomes an issue......right now we’re just at a point where the most desirable neighborhoods are pricey; other desirable ones are getting there & the rest could use a nice influx of people.

I agree that the city needs to sort their priorities in what they address but anything that would bring in (potentially a lot) of revenue and/or jobs is a gift horse the city needs. Maybe an influx of new blood into the city will also have the effect of putting pressure on the city leadership as they might actually be willing to vote in new people (as has been seen in some small ways already).

All things being said I still see the chance if the headquarters being here close to zero.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:15 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,696,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
And create new problems.
I love this comment. Peduto? Hello?

Old 12-19-2017, 07:30 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,053,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I disagree....the only thing that’s going to improve things like transportation & infrastructure is more gentrification & decent jobs to fill the coffers......given how much of the city remains ungentrified there’s still a lot of room to grow before affordability truly becomes an issue

lest we forget the water and drainage systems that need upgrading. amazon's presence might result in increased money - which, unless Dan Gilman finds heartfelt ways to redistribute it to people who fail in life, can be used for large scale upgrades to century old pipes before they end up breaking.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:06 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
lest we forget the water and drainage systems that need upgrading. amazon's presence might result in increased money - which, unless Dan Gilman finds heartfelt ways to redistribute it to people who fail in life, can be used for large scale upgrades to century old pipes before they end up breaking.
increased money from where? that's the problem. so many cities are promising Amazon the sun, moon and stars. supposedly one city in NJ promised to exempt all it's employees from state income tax. and of course they are all promising Amazon huge tax breaks. so exactly where is the money going to come from. that is the concern.

Now amazon has promised to bring in jobs but they have already admitted that the big paying jobs (100k+) will likely be Amazon employees transferring in.

I'm taking a wait and see approach. we have an amazon fulfillment center here in Southern NJ and Philly. they are pretty low wage $13/ hour to maybe 20 bucks a hour. are we giving up a whole lot for more low wage jobs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh