Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2018, 05:44 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,296,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embassyone View Post
I may be in the minority but Pittsburgh winning the amazon bid would be the worst thing for the city and region. Pittsburgh has been stagnant or declining for decades.
Yes, you are in the minority. As someone who had a front row seat to PGH's early 80's decline (and then had to hear about how super-great places like Columbus were for years), I'm pulling for this really hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 07:24 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,022 times
Quote:
If it wins the bid it won’t be able to handle it you are correct. You basically are giving the middle finger to everyone currently living in Pittsburgh that isn’t involved in tech. Watch and see.

I’m just telling you there will be harsh consequences for the current residents. The proof is in the fact they refuse to share their bid. Lots to hide and if you aren’t a techie you won’t matter. We will all lose believe me. Bicycle bill and Ritchie fitz sold us all out.
dinosaurs will die. there is opportunity galore and one can choose to adapt and seize it, or sit around and complain about how others are succeeding and they are not. Amazon would create an abundance of additional opportunity and if you or anyone else can't see it, there is no use trying to convince you otherwise.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:42 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,842 times
Quote:
New screen name, same old thing.
Exactly.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:40 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
Quote:
If it wins the bid it won’t be able to handle it you are correct. You basically are giving the middle finger to everyone currently living in Pittsburgh that isn’t involved in tech. Watch and see.
I’d be really upset if my house doubled in value, infrastructure finally had a cash flow to fix things, I had more business from the influx of new arrivals, & the airport added a lot more flight options among other things

Old 01-20-2018, 10:36 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I’d be really upset if my house doubled in value, infrastructure finally had a cash flow to fix things, I had more business from the influx of new arrivals, & the airport added a lot more flight options among other things
Exactly. Pittsburgh had over 600,000 people living in the city in the 60's now we are around 1/2 that! Would be nice to see a comeback. Sure we aren't going to see the 60's again, or at least in my lifetime, but man Amazon would sure be a help! Our city can handle a TON of growth, since we already have been there in years past. No need for any real expansion, just buildings being built. No problem! Bring it on. I have a feeling it is Boston, but I still hope for it.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:52 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Here is what Columbus offered Amazon. I think they weren't very bright to release it to all, but they did. Sorry if it was posted already.

https://www.columbusnavigator.com/co...ncentives-hq2/

Old 01-20-2018, 10:57 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
"Other places" (not to be named) have seen that happen too and it has a down side. Housing prices have gotten out of hand. But I guess that's a better problem than some others.

Old 01-20-2018, 11:05 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,894 times
eschaton alluded to this earlier, but amazon has a bit of a, how do I put this, "reputation" in the industry. High turnover. I knew people working there several years ago, and none of them lasted two years. It's a high-stress employer, they're a little on the cheap side (no fancy perks like you'll get at Google, although I understand that they are no longer making their own desks out of doors and 4x4s), and they fire the bottom 10% of people annually, which means you get cut-throat colleagues and a lot of unpaid overtime. Most people can't live like this indefinitely.

Point being: people will take that job right out of school but when the pressure gets to the point where the coders have no life, they'll look for something else. You can get away with this in Seattle because of the tech market there, you've got something to escape to. From Pittsburgh, I wonder how that's going to work out. Everybody in tech is aware that this is what you sign up for when you work for Amazon, that you will get chewed up and spit out, but eschaton's post is the first I'd heard about it in this thread.

Old 01-20-2018, 11:14 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
New screen name, same old thing.
Yep, like most of them.

Old 01-20-2018, 11:20 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,842 times
Please everyone let's not get distracted by the post immediately below mine.

Last edited by JoeP; 01-20-2018 at 12:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh