Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 08:46 PM

57 posts, read 67,556 times

Advertisements

I am disabled, MS, our sons are currently in 5th and 7th grades. Our 7th grader is in all Advanced Honors classes. He is a competitive, year-round swimmer, too. Our 5th grader plays soccer. So, good hospitals and schools and sports...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 09:06 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,597,955 times
Honestly there are good suburbs with great schools in every direction on all sides of Pittsburgh. Are there any specific reasons why you are coming to Pittsburgh, like being close to relatives, or because you like certain activities? Information like that might help narrow down the choices, since schools with sports and pretty good hospitals are all around.

Cranberry Township might be a good idea for you, since the proximity to various freeways would make it a good location for your husband if he needs to get on the road in various directions, and would prefer to do it without having to drive directly through the city or heavily congested areas all the time. The traffic can get pretty backed up in the areas that are closer to downtown, especially on the freeways. Cranberry gives you pretty quick access to Ohio, New York, etc., without having to deal with all that.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:07 PM

398 posts, read 701,834 times
I would look in Blawnox, Aspinwall, or Sharpsburg -- three municipalities in the Fox Chapel Area School District. There are rentals posted all the time on Facebook that are well within that budget, great school district, and a wonderful youth swim program (fckw.org).

Old 09-15-2017, 09:53 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,388,315 times
Does your husband bring his truck home? my dad owned a trucking company and I know parking is a problem in a lot of suburbs around here. If he does I can recommend some areas where parking won't be such a Hassel.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:32 AM

57 posts, read 67,556 times
Thank you, again! Very helpful! Sorry I'm not too specific. We just like the usual around: stores, restaurants, mall. Like to go to the city for sports. Whatever. We don't want to be too close. We do like some quiet. Where do you find rentals on Facebook?

Old 09-16-2017, 08:34 AM

Is there really no specific reason why you're moving to Pittsburgh?

Old 09-16-2017, 08:35 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,352,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
Honestly there are good suburbs with great schools in every direction on all sides of Pittsburgh. Are there any specific reasons why you are coming to Pittsburgh, like being close to relatives, or because you like certain activities? Information like that might help narrow down the choices, since schools with sports and pretty good hospitals are all around.

Cranberry Township might be a good idea for you, since the proximity to various freeways would make it a good location for your husband if he needs to get on the road in various directions, and would prefer to do it without having to drive directly through the city or heavily congested areas all the time. The traffic can get pretty backed up in the areas that are closer to downtown, especially on the freeways. Cranberry gives you pretty quick access to Ohio, New York, etc., without having to deal with all that.
Cranberry's probably a great suggestion for them. It's also going to have more recently built rental options--many people from the sunbelt want new, not old and shabby (which Pgh has in spades. )

Old 09-16-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Cranberry's probably a great suggestion for them. It's also going to have more recently built rental options--many people from the sunbelt want new, not old and shabby (which Pgh has in spades. )
Yes, that's part of my reasoning too, along with easy access to I-80.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:49 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,388,315 times
If you want to be a little farther out, look at Cecil and north straban

Old 09-16-2017, 09:54 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,495,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiki413 View Post
Thank you, again! Very helpful! Sorry I'm not too specific. We just like the usual around: stores, restaurants, mall. Like to go to the city for sports. Whatever. We don't want to be too close. We do like some quiet. Where do you find rentals on Facebook?
West Allegheny Schools (North Fayette Township), Moon Area Schools (Moon Township), Montour Schools (Robinson Township).

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/se...labilityMode=0

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh