Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 07:43 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
When you have the much superior cities of D.C., Toronto, NYC, Chicago in the same range of traveling distance Philly is irrelevant to Pittsburgh as it really has nothing much to offer to make a trip worthwhile. It's a go once to see a handful of sights city with no need for any repeat visits.
Even though this is a big troll-like thread with a picture of the best player in the NHL being hit, your answer is spot on. Went to Philly and didn't feel the desire to revisit. We go to DC and NYC all the time. Philly just gets lost over there since it has nothing much to offer, other than a lot of crime. I like boathouse row, so I will give it that and if I had to live there, I guess I would be somewhere on the mainline.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:57 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,277 times
Silly thread. When we want to compare with nearby cities, we have peers we can do that with, like Baltimore, and Cleveland, even Buffalo. You should be comparing Philly to DC, and Boston. Don't you think you can hang with them?

Old 09-17-2017, 09:16 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
When you have the much superior cities of D.C., Toronto, NYC, Chicago in the same range of traveling distance Philly is irrelevant to Pittsburgh as it really has nothing much to offer to make a trip worthwhile. It's a go once to see a handful of sights city with no need for any repeat visits.
You nailed it, I don't really know of anyone who goes to Philly often unless it's to visit family or friends. Plenty of people I know though go to NYC, DC or Toronto despite not having family or friends in either. Philly and Toronto take about the same amount of time to get to and it's pretty easy to pick which one I'd rather go to.

Hint: It's the city that uses colourful money.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:01 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post

Hahaha!

It's not even his town though - his "Vineland, NJ" is 40 miles from Philly. He's as close to Atlantic City as Philly.
I was born and raised in Philadelphia but Vineland, NJ is still in the Philly area. South Jersey is basically Philly suburbs. People move and change addresses. It's not that big of a deal.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 09-17-2017 at 10:41 AM..

Old 09-17-2017, 10:10 AM

758 posts, read 1,227,453 times
I have only been thru Philly on the way to NYC on the train, which has a half-hour layover...I never even bothered to get up
and go upstairs to take a break..One thing that shocked me was the amount of graffiti that seemed to be everywhere. I have
been told stories from people who are from Philly(North and South) and Pittsburghers who lived in Philly. I have native NYC
friends and family who said they would be scared to live in Philly. So my impression is it is crime-ridden with hostile, aggressive unfriendly people. I am sure there are nice areas and people there. But it is a very rough city from what I have been told.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
It was unsolicited. It would be like Katiana coming onto here and saying "Denver is better than Pittsburgh because...", and she doesn't do that.
I don't follow behind anyone. I create thread topics on subjects I want to talk about. The type of threads Katarina likes to create is her business. I've been a member on this great site longer than many of you on here. I'm not obligated to seek approval or worry about how certain posters will think of me. Maybe you care but I don't.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:14 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I don't follow behind anyone. I create thread topics on subjects I want to talk about. The type of threads Katarina likes to create is her business. I'm not obligated to seek approval or worry about how certain posters will think of me. Maybe you care but I don't.
How old are you? Be honest. No matter what the answer I am going to be a little sad on your behalf.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
How old are you? Be honest. No matter what the answer I am going to be a little sad on your behalf.
Let's try to focus on the thread topic and not make this thread so much about me personally.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:29 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
I have only been thru Philly on the way to NYC on the train, which has a half-hour layover...I never even bothered to get up
and go upstairs to take a break..One thing that shocked me was the amount of graffiti that seemed to be everywhere. I have
been told stories from people who are from Philly(North and South) and Pittsburghers who lived in Philly. I have native NYC
friends and family who said they would be scared to live in Philly. So my impression is it is crime-ridden with hostile, aggressive unfriendly people. I am sure there are nice areas and people there. But it is a very rough city from what I have been told.
The only saving grace of Philly is that it is forced to abide by PA gun laws (for the most part), so if you are a legal PA LTCF holder, you can go there ARMED.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
I have only been thru Philly on the way to NYC on the train, which has a half-hour layover...
It's kinda hard to judge a city in its entirety based off that little time spent in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh