Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 09:46 AM

79 posts, read 85,658 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I wanted to post a discussion about what Pittsburgh Metro area municipalities will grow by at least 5% by 2020 census. Much of the metro area has been shrinking, but some municipalities I'm reading have been growing at a faster rate. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 09:55 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
Places that aren't already built out.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:01 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,439 times
i could see ross growing on the inner suburb front.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:18 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Yeah. Even upper-middle class desirable suburbs are seeing slow population declines due to falling household size. If the number of housing units does not increase, than the number of people will not increase.

For the most part, net housing units are only increasing in the exurbs and the newer suburbs. There are a few exceptions however. IIRC Green Tree has seen 11.2% growth so far this decade due to City View Apartments. I wouldn't be surprised if Oakmont shows solid growth due to the new Edgewater plan. Maybe Castle Shannon if Shannon Transit Village is ever built?

Old 10-04-2017, 10:21 AM

255 posts, read 284,845 times
Quote:
I think it more likely that areas that are already built out will continue to grow, while areas that aren't will continue their decline.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Yeah I can think of like 15-20 that aren't built out yet that are definitely growing. A lot across the borders of Allegheny like the southern rim of Butler (Cranberry/Adams/Middlesex/Buffalo) and northern Washington (Cecil/Strabane) are definitely building a lot of homes on land, there are like at least 10 Allegheny County municipalities that have grown since 2010, I think like Ohio, Marshall, Collier, South Fayette, Moon, Kennedy, Findlay, Pine, Marshall, Franklin Park, and Jefferson Hills. All of these municipalities are located north, west, or southwest of the city. Jefferson Hills and Buffalo are like the only exceptions, south-east and north-east. It doesn't seem like anywhere east of the city and into Westmoreland is growing anymore.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Yeah. Even upper-middle class desirable suburbs are seeing slow population declines due to falling household size. If the number of housing units does not increase, than the number of people will not increase.

For the most part, net housing units are only increasing in the exurbs and the newer suburbs. There are a few exceptions however. IIRC Green Tree has seen 11.2% growth so far this decade due to City View Apartments. I wouldn't be surprised if Oakmont shows solid growth due to the new Edgewater plan. Maybe Castle Shannon if Shannon Transit Village is ever built?
Yeah Green Tree and Oakmont seem pretty steady. However, I'm not sure if they will have that high of an increase due to already being pretty built up.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:58 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,920,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

Very true.

My list:
Valencia (Butler)
Ohio township
Marshall township
Adams township (Butler)
Sewickely hills
Collier township
Pine township
Findlay township
Green tree
Cecil township (Washington)
Cranberry township (Butler)
North Strabane township (Washington)
South Fayette township
Franklin park
Jefferson Hills
North fayette township
Kennedy township
Moon township
Peter's township (Washington)
Jackson township (Butler)
Richland township
Economy (Beaver)
Upper Saint Clair
Robinson township
Oakmont
North Huntingdon (Westmoreland)

Old 10-04-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Very true.

My list:
Valencia (Butler)
Ohio township
Marshall township
Adams township (Butler)
Sewickely hills
Collier township
Pine township
Findlay township
Green tree
Cecil township (Washington)
Cranberry township (Butler)
North Strabane township (Washington)
South Fayette township
Franklin park
Jefferson Hills
North fayette township
Kennedy township
Moon township
Peter's township (Washington)
Jackson township (Butler)
Richland township
Economy (Beaver)
Upper Saint Clair
Robinson township
Oakmont
North Huntingdon (Westmoreland)
Yeah that is not a bad list. Around Jackson Township, I would also include Buffalo and Middlesex Township for Butler County, as I know there has been much new home building there. Economy probably would be the only place I could think of in Beaver County to be growing as with North Huntingdon for Westmoreland. Murrysville was really growing for a while, but not sure what has happened there. I may include West Deer towards the bottom of the list as well.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:27 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCom View Post
I think it more likely that areas that are already built out will continue to grow, while areas that aren't will continue their decline.
Nope, doesn't work that way. Desirable areas get built out with single-family homes (maybe a smattering of townhomes) and once all the farmland is gone, zoning precludes anything from being built more densely. At that point there's nowhere to go but down, because household size just continues to go down and down, meaning even if all houses remain occupied less and less people will be living in them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh