Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2017, 07:56 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
Extending the logic used to justify removing this statute, we should also remove any statues of any of our founding fathers who own slaves. At the same time we should immediately rename any streets or other landmarks named after them.

Yeah, I guess Big Dumb White Guy Lane will have to be changed.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:00 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
reverse the color on this 'joke' and type it again.

didn't think so.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:01 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,991,802 times
Quote:
Lots of work ahead:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...omas_Jefferson

Old 10-26-2017, 08:03 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,085 times
I don't think the problem is so much Foster as the depiction. I seem to recall that he was sympathetic to the plight of the slaves. He might not even like the statue if he were alive today. Granted, Robert E Lee might feel the same about his own statues.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:03 AM

697 posts, read 778,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Something "racist" to YOU doesn't mean it is racist to everyone, but lets face it, in the cities it is a free-for-all for those with an agenda to make sure everyone knows that racists are around. No kidding and they are around in every race.

It seems minorities want that crutch to last forever because lets face it, if you have a built in excuse for failure, it sure would make life easier. I have no excuse for any failure being a white male, but most wouldn't want that kind of pressure. Why would anyone welcome such a thing? If you are a white male it is all on you and I welcome that, but why? Pride. This guy made the choice to pretend to be a minority, but was he with his all white parents and mostly all white schooling? Hardly, but it felt good to have a built in excuse if he fell or it was more satisfying that he became a qb in the NFL for a bit and he could claim he was something he really wasn't.
Ouch. White people don't get to decide if something is racist to a person of color. Saying that "minorities want that crutch to last forever..." is so wrong on so many levels. Unlike RogersPT and Gladhands, I don't have the energy that I should to give you an explanation, partly because I can tell you aren't ever going to get it. I just can't read this thread without interjecting how wrong and hurtful your words are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
For someone who doesn't care, you sure spend a lot of time writing a whole lot of stuff on this thread.

Racism has a history. It's a topic that people study. I'm not actually pointing fingers at any living person here. The statue has a very specific history, one that's not that hard to see, and one that's not appropriate for a public park. I don't know why people who say they don't care about the statue are so invested in trying to deny any of this. It will go into a museum for anyone who really cares about this history to study it. It's not racist "to me" or to anyone else; it's a relic from a period of time when discrimination against African-Americans was a normal, legal, accepted fact of life, and as such it deserves to be put in a place for historical artifacts, and not kept in a park next to Dippy the dinosaur.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
You're smarter than this, so I have to assume that you're being disingenuous and championing white supremacy. It's literally a sculpture of white supremacy in action. It's not a statue of someone who "can be linked to ideas/beliefs etc that some persons in the 2017 find repugnant". It's an actual visual representation of historical subjugation.
Thank you for your insight.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:10 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,991,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDaisy View Post
Ouch. White people don't get to decide if something is racist to a person of color. Saying that "minorities want that crutch to last forever..." is so wrong on so many levels. Unlike RogersPT and Gladhands, I don't have the energy that I should to give you an explanation, partly because I can tell you aren't ever going to get it. I just can't read this thread without interjecting how wrong and hurtful your words are.

Thank you for your insight.
Everyone is playing the racism card now but it is mostly people from the African American community. All races have people who are racists. It is a fact of life. This statute is history and art. It is sad what is happening to our country.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:20 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times

Old 10-26-2017, 08:20 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
Extending the logic used to justify removing this statute, we should also remove any statues of any of our founding fathers who own slaves. At the same time we should immediately rename any streets or other landmarks named after them.
No, but we should remove any statues of our founding fathers WITH THEIR SLAVES. Can you see the difference?

Old 10-26-2017, 08:24 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,085 times
Quote:
spider-sense ... TINGLING
Well,this should be educational, at least, considering all the monuments to the Red Army which Poland had removed. Maybe Yac can tell us about erasing history.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:29 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
There's something seriously effed up about a white person telling a black person that they don't understand that something really isn't racist toward black people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh