Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 10:59 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,876,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
a campaign of information, warning, then TICKETING would help!

word of advice during hockey season...when a couple lanes of traffic are stopped around Chatham Center, particularly at their ped entrance on Fifth Avenue, do not gallop across the crosswalk - drivers in the far lane might not see you and will coast across the crosswalk as if it was an open road in Big Sky country.
I work near the Grant Building and park in the Hill - so I'm dealing with crossing Fifth Avenue on foot twice a day. I come within a few feet of being hit a few times per year. It's ridiculous.
Heck, I even started a thread this summer about this: //www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...ty-police.html

It's a joke. There needs to be actual ticketing.
Instead City leadership is content with allowing downtown to be the Wild West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 11:12 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,892,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
I work near the Grant Building and park in the Hill - so I'm dealing with crossing Fifth Avenue on foot twice a day. I come within a few feet of being hit a few times per year. It's ridiculous.
Heck, I even started a thread this summer about this: //www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...ty-police.html

It's a joke. There needs to be actual ticketing.
Instead City leadership is content with allowing downtown to be the Wild West.

I am all for it, as long as they ticket pedestrians too.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:29 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,771,763 times
I often will side with police because of the crap they deal with all the time, but in this case I feel the police just don't do anything at all. I realize they aren't allowed to use radar, but it seems they also don't care about drivers almost running people over IF the pedestrian HAS the right of way. I OFTEN see people go across the street when they aren't supposed to of course especially in East Liberty. Most are too stupid to understand what stop and go signs mean. They are just illiterate, but the law states ignorance isn't an excuse. I can't imagine having a conversation with these dopes though.

Pittsburgh is a pretty unfriendly place for pedestrians and cyclists for the most part. Lots of pedestrians are stupid though and just don't follow the rules at all.

I think Blawnox does a good job and the cops WILL nail you if you don't yield to pedestrians in crosswalks. They have things marked VERY well. Maybe the city should have a look how it should be done and visit Blawnox.

Old 10-08-2017, 03:02 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,771,456 times
Welcome to driving in Pittsburgh.

Please at your leisure look up strategies and techniques for what is called, "the Pittsburgh left", and make sure you have a car with side airbags. Unless you fly solo a lot and never have a passenger.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:28 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,775,494 times
I think pedestrians had it better before they changed the Don't Walk sign to the red hand. Walk, Don't Walk was simple and direct. I believe a lot of people really don't understand the symbols.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:13 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,097,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Almost happened to me again last night. Crossing Washington Place between Chatham Center and PPG Paints - I had the "walk" light, and cars didn't yield. One lady came within arms length of hitting me - which unleashed a torrent of profanity from me. And me walking up to the intersection with Centre, where she was sitting at a red light, to engage in some "sign language communication".
That intersection of Washington Place at Centre Ave is a joke. The right turn lane on Centre to Washington Pl is horribly backed up daily during rush hour and I will not get why the idiots who just redid all of the lights at that intersection didn't put in a left green arrow for Washington Pl going up the hill on Centre to the arena. That can get badly backed up on the morning, especially if a bus is trying to turn.......

Old 10-09-2017, 10:14 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,097,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
I think pedestrians had it better before they changed the Don't Walk sign to the red hand. Walk, Don't Walk was simple and direct. I believe a lot of people really don't understand the symbols.
I think everyone knows what they mean, it's just simply that no one cares.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:52 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,262,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I am all for it, as long as they ticket pedestrians too.
Likewise. If I'm a motorist turning left from Grant onto Sixth Avenue or Seventh Avenue (with a dedicated left turn arrow), and if you decide to cross against the signal, I WILL blare my horn at you as I turn. I see pedestrians doing this daily Downtown.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:55 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,262,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I think everyone knows what they mean, it's just simply that no one cares.
Why do Pittsburghers continue to enter the crosswalk AFTER the red hand starts flashing? Do they not realize that means "If you're in the crosswalk already, then continue. If you're on the curb, then stop?" If I'm waiting to turn, and you start to cross in my way as the red hand is flashing, then I blare my horn, too. This isn't a Midwestern city where people aren't in a hurry.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:41 PM

29,627 posts, read 34,098,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Why do Pittsburghers continue to enter the crosswalk AFTER the red hand starts flashing? Do they not realize that means "If you're in the crosswalk already, then continue. If you're on the curb, then stop?" If I'm waiting to turn, and you start to cross in my way as the red hand is flashing, then I blare my horn, too. This isn't a Midwestern city where people aren't in a hurry.
It's semantics--most people can cross quickly before the signal stops flashing, and honking at a pedestrian who still technically has the right-of-way does nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh