Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 09:27 AM

14,362 posts, read 16,946,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
It's just funny coming from someone who tries to be a booster for one of the most depressed municipalities in SWPA they are quick to slam somewhere else.
He's stated in the past that he finds "streetcar suburbia" type neighborhoods like East Liberty, Highland Park, and Friendship boring. To a certain extent, he's correct. around 1900 is the period when you began seeing real separation of uses between commercial/industrial and residential, meaning if you're on a given street you'll either see nothing but houses (likely most of them built around the same time period) or all non-residential structures. In contrast, if you look at an old neighborhood like Lawrenceville or Central North Side, there's an overall "flow" but random buildings which seem out of place (either in terms of time or use) tend to be mixed in. This makes exploring the neighborhood on foot more of an interesting activity, because you never know what you're going to find when you round the next corner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 10:33 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,872,238 times
Any press like this is good for our region, so great news. I think Lawrencevile is now moving towards a yuppie area. East Liberty is more interesting with its huge Asian population which is great. Clean and quiet and they always seem so happy. Love their culture and a welcome diversity to that area. East Liberty will never return to its grand old self, but it is more like a European looking part of the city with its cookie cutter flats. It is a progression that is pretty normal with people having less time to deal with a home and want more free time. I am not a fan of Lawrenceville anymore as it is too crowded now and so hipster. I don't mind where Hop Farm is though. That area is more mellow. This list doesn't surprise me.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:47 AM

994 posts, read 897,953 times
Of course, Lawrenceville and East Liberty are two different neighborhoods that (to my knowledge) don't even connect.

The author is probably from Pittsburgh.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:50 AM

14,362 posts, read 16,946,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
Of course, Lawrenceville and East Liberty are two different neighborhoods that (to my knowledge) don't even connect.

The author is probably from Pittsburgh.
Looking at her Linkedin profile, she went to college at Ohio University, so it's possible she'd have more knowledge of Pittsburgh than average, even if she wasn't from here.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:14 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,580,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
It's just funny coming from someone who tries to be a booster for one of the most depressed municipalities in SWPA they are quick to slam somewhere else.
It was funny, but this board has some intense reverse snobbery prejudice. The Point Breeze thread painted the residents as being NIMBYists for downzoning the area near their tiny commercial district, but when nearby Park Place rallied against a parklet (Green Street) being developed, nobody called them names. It's only bad to NIMBY if you have an upper middle class income.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:24 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,277,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Any press like this is good for our region, so great news. I think Lawrencevile is now moving towards a yuppie area. East Liberty is more interesting with its huge Asian population which is great. Clean and quiet and they always seem so happy. Love their culture and a welcome diversity to that area. East Liberty will never return to its grand old self, but it is more like a European looking part of the city with its cookie cutter flats. It is a progression that is pretty normal with people having less time to deal with a home and want more free time. I am not a fan of Lawrenceville anymore as it is too crowded now and so hipster. I don't mind where Hop Farm is though. That area is more mellow. This list doesn't surprise me.
"hipster" is pretty mainstream these days. look at any restaurant that has opened in the city lately and any other city in the country for that matter. it has even made it to the suburbs! minimalist decor, muted tones, unfinished wood, barstools, string lights, industrial feel. what you are seeing as hipster is just mainstream. the foodie culture of trying new cuisines in itself is pretty mainstream now. l'ville has capitalized on this as places that would have been off the wall 10 years ago can survive there now with a sustainable customer base. places are hard to get into now, but what can you do? luckily, chefs are getting experience as the scene grows and are more willing and able to spread out into other areas. it is overall great for the city.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:58 PM

94 posts, read 78,299 times
I am a big fan of Squirrel Hill because I don't like to party as much as I used to. There are only a handful places to get all boozed up. Yet, for squares, there is still plenty to do to kill an evening with the countless restaurants. It is a good place to go for stroll or for dinner and a movie. For those who want to still get sloppy drunk, there is Silky's , The Cage and a few others.
As for the top two according to time, East Liberty has done a good job with it's fringes. The Penn Avenue business district has a world of potential, but currently is not that great, despite how cool some people deem Zeke's Coffee to be. As for Lawrenceville, I was skeptical when people said it was turning around maybe twenty years ago. I marveled every time I would go through there and see the progress and continue to do so. It is not for me, but great to see.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:01 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,522,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
"hipster" is pretty mainstream these days. look at any restaurant that has opened in the city lately and any other city in the country for that matter. it has even made it to the suburbs! minimalist decor, muted tones, unfinished wood, barstools, string lights, industrial feel. what you are seeing as hipster is just mainstream. the foodie culture of trying new cuisines in itself is pretty mainstream now. l'ville has capitalized on this as places that would have been off the wall 10 years ago can survive there now with a sustainable customer base. places are hard to get into now, but what can you do? luckily, chefs are getting experience as the scene grows and are more willing and able to spread out into other areas. it is overall great for the city.
I'm pretty sure I have never been inside a "hipster" restaurant. Any photos?

Old 10-10-2017, 01:10 PM

94 posts, read 78,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
It seems like the majority of people under age thirty-five are deemed hipster. I see it as just a change in fashion and trends like there always has been. Granted, some people play it up more than others. Anybody that tries too hard to be hip may have the adverse effect.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:25 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,010,340 times
I do not dislike East Liberty because it's a "streetcar suburb" era neighborhood, although it's true that those types of neighborhoods are not generally my favorite. I still like them better than post-war neighborhoods. My problem with East Liberty is what it represents. It is the most repulsive example of gentrification in Pittsburgh, and features the ugliest examples of modern urban infill in the city. The old buildings and blocks that have survived, and aren't on the chopping block, are still wonderful. Ditto for the old homes that have been restored and not flipped. The Highland Building? Beautiful. The glass and steel, $3000 a month housing and infill that has replaced most of the business district? Dreadful. East Liberty was partly destroyed by 1960s urban renewal. Gentrification finished it for me.

East Liberty is now one of the most expensive neighborhoods in the city. I don't feel guilty for expressing my negative opinion of a place that has really been dragged down the drain by poor urban development. Before gentrification, the neighborhood was rough, but it was authentic. Nobody who can afford to invest or live in gentrified East Liberty is going to be harmed because I think the neighborhood sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh