Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 10:13 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Well, you are both right in a way. Heinz Terrace is the nicest street in Sharpsburg, but the better housing stock in general is in the northern part of Sharsburg as opposed to the area right around the business district. There is a lot of potential in this little place to a point. Most bearded yuppies (hipsters) HAVE to be in the city no matter what because it is a prestige thing, but I think that prestige might not stay forever since many of these wealthy young people pretend to hate the wealthy. At some point the city is just too expensive and will become less cool, but I am guessing on that thought.

I don't think it matters much how close you are to the business district if you look at lower Aspinwall for example. The homes closer to Delafield, but not on Delafield generally sell for higher prices because they are the larger homes. Getting around Aspinwall and Sharpsburg is easy because they are super flat in the lower sections.

Seems Sharpsburg is following Millvale in a way. Almost nothing for sale at all. It is no doubt going to get more expensive and already has, but I don't think it will be all that expensive no matter what.

I have been a fan of Sharpsburg for a while now and I find it kind of funny that I DIDN'T get some of that action!!!!!! I certainly had MANY chances and even a couple of apartment buildings! Oh well another missed boat!
I have a few friends that have been buying stuff. My one buddy is buying most of the commercial that comes up and some apartments. Another friend has had no luck buying residential and told me that most (or at least the ones he is interested in) are going for over asking price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 10:23 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I realize that is a nice street but generally speaking the nicer part is not behind the business district.
So you're saying that discounting Heinz Terrace, the more desirable area is down Middle Street in the far east of the borough? The houses there look a bit bigger (and most are detached), and they usually are set back a bit from the street, but it's not a huge difference.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:30 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I have a few friends that have been buying stuff. My one buddy is buying most of the commercial that comes up and some apartments. Another friend has had no luck buying residential and told me that most (or at least the ones he is interested in) are going for over asking price.
I have been saying it for years. If you look at Sharpsburg it is really in a good situation. Most likely it will have trail access all the way to the city which will actually be a much better access than Millvale has with that crazy intersection. It is in a good school district. There is river access in more than one location and probably will be another one with Riverfront 47 (I still can't believe that scrapyard is gone, wow). It has a downtown that has real potential. Of course there are downsides, but it is in a good location and you can get to the East End fast via two different bridges.

I am hoping for that little town. It needs a good shot in the arm. Maybe someday it would be considered hip.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:25 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
So you're saying that discounting Heinz Terrace, the more desirable area is down Middle Street in the far east of the borough? The houses there look a bit bigger (and most are detached), and they usually are set back a bit from the street, but it's not a huge difference.
Yes. I think the houses are generally in better shape up towards the Highland Park

Old 10-14-2017, 10:46 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
Some of the humble houses near the business district date to the 1830s, some perhaps even older! Underneath all that aluminum siding could be some really cool log houses or early PA history. Sharpsburg is one of the older surviving villages in / around the city.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:01 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
Some of the humble houses near the business district date to the 1830s, some perhaps even older! Underneath all that aluminum siding could be some really cool log houses or early PA history. Sharpsburg is one of the older surviving villages in / around the city.
I didn't know that. Thanks.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:17 AM
gg

An article showing what is going on in Sharpsburg. Seems it is really taking off as it should. No wonder there isn't much on the market down there.

Allegheny County program targets blight in Sharpsburg, 28 other communities | TribLIVE

Old 12-15-2017, 05:28 PM

268 posts, read 385,459 times
Something being worked on to coordinate community scale sustainability across Millvale ~ Etna ~ Sharpsburg....

https://www.nextpittsburgh.com/city-...arpsburg-etna/

Old 12-15-2017, 08:36 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainlove View Post
Something being worked on to coordinate community scale sustainability across Millvale ~ Etna ~ Sharpsburg....

https://www.nextpittsburgh.com/city-...arpsburg-etna/
Great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh