Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2017, 07:57 PM

7 posts, read 5,342 times

Advertisements

Looking to relocate from out of state essentially sight-unseen (scary and not recommended, I know). Wanting a safe quiet area with green space nearby, something that looks kind of suburb-y (moving for job purposes, not really a city person but not wanting a ridiculous commute). Came across these apartments, they seem spacious and surprisingly affordable considering most utilities are included, area seems decent. The apartmentratings website doesn't have any recent reviews at all. Anyone have any experience with them, and/or the surrounding area?
EDIT: would love to know about Bryn Mawr apartments too, ratings are newer there but I've read so many bad things about Wilkinsburg that it's hard to know what to believe.
Thank you everyone!

Last edited by hajat22000; 10-21-2017 at 08:14 PM.. Reason: another request
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 09:16 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,209 times
It would help if you post links to the apartments you have in mind, and if you give us an idea of what you are looking for and where you are coming from. Pittsburgh is generally a pretty safe area with a lot of housing options. Wilkinsburg is a complicated part of the metro; some sections are bad but some are fine, and a lot of rentals go to Pitt and CMU graduate students. If you give us an idea of your price range, specific needs, and preferences for commuting (do you want to drive, would taking a bus be a good option), people will have lots of suggestions. There are plenty of quiet suburbs that are not all that far, which may be better if you don't want see yourself as a city person. There are also areas like Highland Park that have nice rentals in a quieter part of the city, depending on where you look and what you consider to be quiet.

Welcome to Pittsburgh, and good luck!

Old 10-22-2017, 06:57 PM

7 posts, read 5,342 times
My apologies! Here are the links:

Trenton Square Apartments - Pittsburgh, PA | Apartment Finder
https://www.brynmawrapartments.com/

I just want a safe quiet place with green things nearby - trees, grass, etc - and not a ton of partying. Highway noise is fine, but hearing drunk kids wander home at 2am is not. I get that you get all kinds of things in apartment environments and nothing is really predictable, but it's still worth inquiring about

Thank you for your help!

Old 10-22-2017, 07:49 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,209 times
Oh -- I'm realizing I actually looked at Trenton Square apartments with my husband when we first moved here in 2013. They were fine overall; we decided we would rather buy a house, and we like older buildings, so it wasn't quite for us. It felt a little like a dorm, because there was a lot of concrete and it was very modern, but it wasn't unpleasant. The location was fine, as far as we could tell at the time. Steiner Realty always struck me as one of the better major landlords in that part of town.

It's really not hard to find apartments in the actual suburbs, which are very green and quiet -- people on here would be happy to suggest some of those, but you have to give an idea of what you think would be a reasonable commute.

Old 10-23-2017, 12:15 PM

436 posts, read 343,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajat22000 View Post
Looking to relocate from out of state essentially sight-unseen (scary and not recommended, I know). Wanting a safe quiet area with green space nearby, something that looks kind of suburb-y (moving for job purposes, not really a city person but not wanting a ridiculous commute). Came across these apartments, they seem spacious and surprisingly affordable considering most utilities are included, area seems decent. The apartmentratings website doesn't have any recent reviews at all. Anyone have any experience with them, and/or the surrounding area?
EDIT: would love to know about Bryn Mawr apartments too, ratings are newer there but I've read so many bad things about Wilkinsburg that it's hard to know what to believe.
Thank you everyone!
We've lived in the area since 2007, and had originally looked at Trenton Square. Casey Steiner personally showed us the first apartment, and we were not only impressed with him, but also the home.

We went a second time to look at another apartment that was coming up, and later we had diner at what was Ryans Pub at the time. The waitress had told me she knew of multiple people who had their apartments broken in to. I run, walk, and bike through the complex daily and despite what that waitress had told us, probably would consider living there. I'd probably have seizures worrying about parking amongst that many people but that's just me. There's a new bakery now being constructed right on the edge of the apartments and Biddles Escape coffee shop is less than a block away

Old 10-23-2017, 12:22 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
Try looking at River Oaks Apartments in Aspinwall. A ton of professionals rent there without seeing them in person.

Aspinwall is pretty convenient to downtown.

River Oaks Apartments - Welcome Home!

Old 10-23-2017, 12:31 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,958,658 times
My brother lived in one of the 2 bedroom apartments in the late 90s and early 2000s. The complex is surprisingly quiet and well kept. It is close to the Biddle coffee shop as well as the East Busway and Regent Square. You are a few blocks from Frick Park and all of the walking / hiking trails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh