Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 08:01 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times

Advertisements

This could effect a lot of people. I think the medical industry needs government intervention. The citizens of our region should not put up with all this greed from two tax exempt companies! Does anyone know who to contact to file a complaint? Is there a judge that could step in? What are the steps to either make these companies start paying taxes, or provide services to the citizens that are subsidizing them.

Here is an article about it. I personally lost my doctor and I would love to start some crap with both of these companies. Been even thinking of renting a billboard just to vent!

If hospitals can pick and choose who they see, they should NOT be tax exempt! Shame on these doctors going along with all of this as well.

With two years to go, Highmark and UPMC disagree on how their nasty divorce will end | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 12:07 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,137,361 times
what a mess.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
what a mess.
I just don't get no one responding to such a thing? Lost. I guess this didn't effect anyone here? I lost my doctor of 20 years due to UPMC's CRAP/GREED! Seems I am alone on that.

I am tired of these massive for profit companies like UPMC NOT giving to the community, yet they get a by on taxation! I can't go to my doctor anymore, yet my tax dollars are being used to subsidize them? Are you kidding me?

No one cares I guess. I would love Amazon to say, sorry Pittsburgh you are a great choice, but your hospitals are fighting amongst themselves instead of healing the sick! That would be GREAT! UPMC is one horrible company and we sure didn't get very lucky having those POS's dominating our area!

Old 10-30-2017, 07:00 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
My two cents are that, as was the case when it started, it sucks donkey balls, but what are the alternatives?

Most of the people I've talked to seem to long for the "good old days" when UPMC and Highmark essentially conspired together and had monopolies on their respective portions of the local healthcare industry. How this kerfluffle happened, IIRC, was that UPMC asked for some exorbitant rate increase for Highmark enrollees (double digit increases in one year), Highmark said no, and so UPMC said fine, Highmark enrollees can no longer use UPMC. The alternative would have been Highmark agreeing, and still more expensive care in the area. Instead UPMC unveiled cheaper health insurance, and Highmark bought out Allegheny Health Network and there is a small (but cheaper) network of providers as well. So even though we don't have the level of choice we did in the past, two competing networks have resulted in prices coming down a bit.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
My two cents are that, as was the case when it started, it sucks donkey balls, but what are the alternatives?

Most of the people I've talked to seem to long for the "good old days" when UPMC and Highmark essentially conspired together and had monopolies on their respective portions of the local healthcare industry. How this kerfluffle happened, IIRC, was that UPMC asked for some exorbitant rate increase for Highmark enrollees (double digit increases in one year), Highmark said no, and so UPMC said fine, Highmark enrollees can no longer use UPMC. The alternative would have been Highmark agreeing, and still more expensive care in the area. Instead UPMC unveiled cheaper health insurance, and Highmark bought out Allegheny Health Network and there is a small (but cheaper) network of providers as well. So even though we don't have the level of choice we did in the past, two competing networks have resulted in prices coming down a bit.
This is a very good description on what happened, but I would expect nothing less from you as you are a great contributor here as always!

I do need to get a primary care doctor as I do have health issues, but part of me just figures I will drink it off.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:02 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,024 times
I got my market place renewal letter today, my premium is going up $402 a month, I am sick of everything healthcare. I don't understand how the state capped the rate increase at 30 some percent but my rate increases 100 percent. Then they make it harder on their customers by taking away their choices.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:45 AM

18 posts, read 19,778 times
This is the problem with a local economy mostly dependent on people going to the hospital. Nearly 50,000 people employed by UPMC and Highmark. Those hospitals employ thousands. This of course is a fight over money and power. Imagine if universal healthcare happened. How many hospitals would close in the Pittsburgh area? Probably a good bit. It would collapse the local economy. That’s the problem with putting all of your eggs in one basket. Just how we did with steel back in the day. Youngstown was never be the same.

Old 10-31-2017, 06:29 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutusbuckeye1 View Post
This is the problem with a local economy mostly dependent on people going to the hospital. Nearly 50,000 people employed by UPMC and Highmark. Those hospitals employ thousands. This of course is a fight over money and power. Imagine if universal healthcare happened. How many hospitals would close in the Pittsburgh area? Probably a good bit. It would collapse the local economy. That’s the problem with putting all of your eggs in one basket. Just how we did with steel back in the day. Youngstown was never be the same.
Universal health care would be a paradigm shift that would take at least a generation for the US economy to adapt to. Unfortunately, Ohio seems like it would be hit even harder than PA:

https://www.kff.org/other/state-indi...:%22desc%22%7D

Old 10-31-2017, 07:25 AM

18 posts, read 19,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Universal health care would be a paradigm shift that would take at least a generation for the US economy to adapt to. Unfortunately, Ohio seems like it would be hit even harder than PA:

https://www.kff.org/other/state-indi...:%22desc%22%7D
Oh there is no question Ohio would be hit hard. It is highly invested in the medical industry as in PA. However Pittsburgh is an Ed’s and meds economy as their primary employment base. Medical costs are through the roof due to frequent hospitalization. I read that Pittsburgh has more hospital beds for a city it’s size than anywhere else, including Cleveland. These hospitals make up the largest employment Chunk of the local economy. The only way they stay open is admitting sick people and making money off the insurance company and consumer. If people do regular checkups and doctor visits, hospitalization drops because people are healthier with preventative care. Thus it would be a good thing for public health but devisatating to the Pittsburgh economy because you would probably only need a third of the hospitals you have. Universal healthcare would dismantle Pittsburgh and any other city mostly invested in hospitals for employment base.

Highmark and UPMC are fighting like mad to keep this revenue. Whoever has more hospitals has more power and can charge whatever they want. That’s why they are fighting most of the money and jobs in Pittsburgh are tied to health care and hospitals. The consumer is going to pay dearly for this battle.

A lot of the liberal posters I’ve read on here want free healthcare and free college. If both become universal it may be better in the long run but Pittsburgh’s economy would totally collapse. It would be worse then than it is now. Like steel all over again.

It needs to diversify the economy and move past Ed’s and meds as the primary employers

Old 10-31-2017, 07:45 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutusbuckeye1 View Post
Oh there is no question Ohio would be hit hard. It is highly invested in the medical industry as in PA. However Pittsburgh is an Ed’s and meds economy as their primary employment base. Medical costs are through the roof due to frequent hospitalization. I read that Pittsburgh has more hospital beds for a city it’s size than anywhere else, including Cleveland. These hospitals make up the largest employment Chunk of the local economy. The only way they stay open is admitting sick people and making money off the insurance company and consumer. If people do regular checkups and doctor visits, hospitalization drops because people are healthier with preventative care. Thus it would be a good thing for public health but devisatating to the Pittsburgh economy because you would probably only need a third of the hospitals you have. Universal healthcare would dismantle Pittsburgh and any other city mostly invested in hospitals for employment base.

Highmark and UPMC are fighting like mad to keep this revenue. Whoever has more hospitals has more power and can charge whatever they want. That’s why they are fighting most of the money and jobs in Pittsburgh are tied to health care and hospitals. The consumer is going to pay dearly for this battle.

A lot of the liberal posters I’ve read on here want free healthcare and free college. If both become universal it may be better in the long run but Pittsburgh’s economy would totally collapse. It would be worse then than it is now. Like steel all over again.

It needs to diversify the economy and move past Ed’s and meds as the primary employers
I agree on all accounts. Hospital bed reduction and either site-neutral reimbursement or strict management of site-of-care are highly likely in a universal healthcare situation. This would bring revenues way down and also reduce the number of facilities and reduce the opportunity for physicians and hospital managers to arbitrage reimbursement schemes.

In addition, the role of the insurer in universal care would be dramatically reduced to supplemental coverage status unless the universal system was modeled after Medicare Advantage or Managed Medicaid. Both of those programs have hospital reimbursement rates that are far below what traditional employer-based and individually obtained policies pay.

In short, a lot of money would start to fall out of the system, potentially buoyed by the aging boomer population and the desire for increasingly complex and expensive solutions to health issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh