Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2008, 09:09 PM

35 posts, read 107,336 times

Advertisements

My father forbade me to speak that way also. We were middle-class.

I always speak the way I speak - a first impression is called that for a reason.

Again, I'm not really interested in Pittsburghese from a linguistic perspective; so you could have saved yourself a lot of essay typing.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:11 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,244,119 times
The Northern cities vowel shift is not about northerners changing the way they talk, it's about how the vowels are pronounced differently.

Except for the use of certain of my, ahem, vocabularly words, I talk pretty much the same regardless of the company I"m keeping. I might say "yeah", instead of "yes" when talking to a friend, and "yes" when on a business call, but I don't say "youns" with my friends, or "ain't", etc.

I have read many articles on accents; it has always been an interest of mine. I still contend after all my reading, grammar should be correct and words should be enunciated. Other than that, I don't really care. We don't have an accent out here, LOL! (That is a joke, BTW.)

Old 06-09-2008, 09:27 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,891,955 times
Understanding the basic nature of language helps one understand there is no such thing as right and wrong, or correct and incorrect, when it comes to the use of languages. That is because such terms imply some sort of independent measure or standard by which the use of languages could be judged, and there is no such independent measure or standard. In that sense, any widespread use of language is necessarily "correct", because the only available measure of whether a particular use of language is "correct" is if it conforms with some widespread usage.

That said, I long since learned it is very difficult to convince people of all this if they were taught from an early age that there is in fact a right or wrong, or correct or incorrect, when it comes to language. And that has practical implications ... for example, while in theory there is no independent standard by which "yinz" can be judged wrong or incorrect, in practice if, say, enough of one's prospective employers believe that such a standard exists, one may have to modify one's use of language to suit their preferences.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:32 PM

Not to mention if you moved to CO, no one would know what you were talking about if you said "Yinz goin t'lunch now?" I agree to a certain extent, the same is true of what are known as "four letter words". It is the culture that makes them "bad", but every culture has them. Certain US expressions are considered very risque in other English-speaking countries, such as "stuffed" and "bloody".

Old 06-09-2008, 09:34 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,456,700 times
Brian,

You sound like a tree-hugger, there is no right or wrong, only what feels good. Are you telling me that people using bad grammar, saying "I ain't got, I seen, Yinz guys, he don't, is OK?

Old 06-09-2008, 09:48 PM

353 posts, read 822,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Not to mention if you moved to CO, no one would know what you were talking about if you said "Yinz goin t'lunch now?" I agree to a certain extent, the same is true of what are known as "four letter words". It is the culture that makes them "bad", but every culture has them. Certain US expressions are considered very risque in other English-speaking countries, such as "stuffed" and "bloody".
Yes, but unless you were brought up in a very secluded environment, surrounded by people who were only speaking Pittsburgh English, you wouldn't go to another part of the country and speak like that. Most people don't even notice how readily they slip in and out of standard and non-standard.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
Brian,

You sound like a tree-hugger, there is no right or wrong, only what feels good. Are you telling me that people using bad grammar, saying "I ain't got, I seen, Yinz guys, he don't, is OK?
Why is it "bad" grammar?

Old 06-09-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersoulty View Post
Yes, but unless you were brought up in a very secluded environment, surrounded by people who were only speaking Pittsburgh English, you wouldn't go to another part of the country and speak like that. Most people don't even notice how readily they slip in and out of standard and non-standard.
You might if you thought "Yinz" was a read word, and acceptable in casual conversation. You might think everyone uses it, not just Pittsburghers. I don't know how to get this across, not everyone talks in two different dialects. Many Pittsburghers don't even use "yinz". Many Pittsburghers don't drink "Arn", they drink Iron City, or just Iron.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You might if you thought "Yinz" was a read word, and acceptable in casual conversation. You might think everyone uses it, not just Pittsburghers. I don't know how to get this across, not everyone talks in two different dialects. Many Pittsburghers don't even use "yinz". Many Pittsburghers don't drink "Arn", they drink Iron City, or just Iron.
Why isn't "yinz" a "real word"? People say it, right?

Old 06-09-2008, 09:59 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,456,700 times
Are you telling me that people using bad grammar, saying "I ain't got, I seen, Yinz guys, he don't, is OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersoulty View Post
Why is it "bad" grammar?

Seriously. You think I ain't got, I seen, and He don't is proper grammar?

Tell me you're kidding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh