Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2008, 09:15 AM

803 posts, read 2,969,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post

Incidentally, one of the frustrating things for me is that I have seen both the Detroit Tigers and Detroit Pistons win championships, hit rock bottom, and rebuild into contenders, all in my lifetime. The Lions, though, last won a championship well before I was born, and have gotten worse since the Barry Sanders days (when they at least would make the playoffs every other year).

.....And of course, let's not forget the dreaded RED WINGS . . . . the "Evil Empire" has been the best team in hockey for too damned long now, and it's about time my BLUES give 'em a righteous stomping, in the playoffs. . . . just not this year, again, I suppose.....

Old 03-22-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rural lady View Post
I think alot of the city people have the problem coming to smaller towns or smaller cities and want it to be like the city they came from, so they have nothing better to do than to start their ranting about things, changing ordinances, taking residental land in blocks and later turning it into sub divisons, ruining any views or they just like looking at houses next door or across the street.
I think you hit the proverbial nail, right smack-dab square on the head! - - - People use their known frame of reference when moving to a new place, and they constantly make comparisons & contrasts with the "old" hometown, and the new one never quite seems to live up to it, because a certain part of us wants to wax ecstatic about where we "come from", and the pride we had when we did live there and things were good. . . . but, if they were all THAT good, we wouldn't have moved somewhere else to begin with, and so in that light, I think peopple should always try to come into a new community with an open mind, and take a LONG TIME to act as a sponge, and just suck in everything they can about the new place's local characteristics and how they GOT that way, before passing judgment on it.

When I moved from Dallas to rural Illinois, I was seen as somewhat of a pain in the ass by many of the locals, because I was constantly griping about the dearth of things to do (comparatively speaking). What I had failed to do, was to embrace the plethora of entirely NEW things to do, and it took me several years to learn how to enjoy cruising & drinkin' on the gravels, bonfire parties, and the simple pleasures of rural life... I had been somehow expecting the sticks to be "like Dallas", and that was such a misguided mindset, that I never enjoyed my time in the hinterlands as much as I could have or should have, as a result.... of course, I was only in my early twenties, so I can write part of that off on youthful angst and ignorance....

So, as I move to Pittsburgh, I come with open mind and heart, and I look forward to meeting some of you (hopefully)..... Cheers!

--Mike

Old 03-22-2008, 09:48 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
I am going to save posts #70 and 72, in my mind anyway, and copy them to Colorado the next time people start complaining about the Californians. I don't think it's because they're from Cali, it's because they're from a different culture. It's more of a universal thing than California.

I think people should give the newcomers a break. Let them be a little homesick. Let them say "In (insert name of city/state) it was like this". Saying something good about your old place is not saying something bad about Pittsburgh (to keep on topic). Even a much desired move has its moments when you miss things you never thought you would. Hate the snow? It's not snowing and you miss it. Hate the rain? It's not raining and you miss it (that happened to me in Colorado).

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 03-22-2008 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: correct reference to posts

Old 03-23-2008, 11:34 AM

156 posts, read 296,670 times
Default Still happy after 8 years...

Just for the record, we moved here in 2000 (from sunny New Mexico) and we still love the city and are happy here.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,773 times
Default many things

The bridges are in such bad shape in places they have nets under the bridges to collect the pieces falling off to keep them from hitting people below.

They have built a metal structure over the parkway to keep large chunks of cement from this one bridge from falling on the road.

The Rankin Bridge...drive it sometime. It's literally crumbling.

The city is deeply segregated. DEEPLY. People don't like talking about this issue at all.

Certain areas of the city are VERY dangerous. Lots of shootings in Pittsburgh.

Hundreds and hundreds of houses literally collapsing in on themselves. Hundreds of others in complete disrepair. No one seems to care.

There are large areas of Pittsburgh that are horrible.

The neighborhoods are crime ridden, falling apart, filled with garbage and the buildings are a mess.

Yet, when City Data posts pictures on here, you just see that million dollar view. If you're planning on moving here prepare yourself for inner city blight of the most extreme variety. It's VERY depressing. Add to it the gray days and the filth of the city grime and it's amazing.

Meanwhile the city builds it's THIRD stadium, completely ignoring the degradation and collapse of large sections of the city's infrastructure and housing market.

Also, you had better like the Steeler's mentality.

Don't talk about racism, that cuts both ways in this city. Don't talk about huge sections near downtown too dangerous to walk in for fear of being shot.

Don't talk about the economic depression all around causing bridges to crumble and houses to fall apart.

Don't talk about the obvious need for health care for many of the citizens of this city. No, indeed, just praise the research and medical institutes who make millions off the suffering of sick people in Pittsburgh. I have never seen so many people in a city look so ill. Pale, sick, many are limping, teeth missing, and just plain ill looking.

But hey. U S A U S A!!!! We're number one!

Just talk about sports. Hey, how bout dem Penguins?!

It's insanity you can only see in a city in the USA. Pittsburgh is a great example of how far we've come during the Bush regime.

Riches for the few while the city crumbles, racism is rampant, violence is the norm and people suffer and die from lack of basic health care.

But hey, the Steelers.... whoa dude, did you catch the game last week?

Old 03-23-2008, 05:30 PM

479 posts, read 1,236,454 times
lessports,

Your post, though very negative, has a lot of truth to it. Pittsburgh has been mismanaged for years. I hope that it eventually turns itself around, but it remains to be seen. I love a lot of things about the area and it will always be "home" in the true sense. Problems never get better by ignoring them and leadership must be competent. A lot of cities are working better than Pittsburgh now, and they have more jobs and are gaining in population, while Pittsburgh continues to lose.

goodgirl

Old 03-23-2008, 06:52 PM

My thoughts included, after each blanket statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesssports View Post
The bridges are in such bad shape in places they have nets under the bridges to collect the pieces falling off to keep them from hitting people below.
This is too often the case in many cities, Pittsburgh being no exception. We need more money for Infrastructure repair & maintenance. Bush made this point clear in his inaugural address, and your congress has done nothing about it, until after the Minneapolis bridge collapse. Blame Congress, not Bush.

Quote:
They have built a metal structure over the parkway to keep large chunks of cement from this one bridge from falling on the road.
Please see above answer.

Quote:
The Rankin Bridge...drive it sometime. It's literally crumbling.
Again, please see above answer.....

Quote:
The city is deeply segregated. DEEPLY. People don't like talking about this issue at all.
Hell, I LOVE talking about race issues, because I've seen first-hand how they CAN be overcome, if only the people involved get off their behinds and stop complaining about the status quo and do something POSITIVE to change it. If the black community is downtrodden in Pittsburgh, then the black leaders should stand up and tell the gangs to put down their guns, so that investment can happen in their neighborhoods, and they can experience revitalization. As long as whites are afraid to walk streets of black neighborhoods, and with good reason, then the racial issues will continue, deepen, and eventually come to a head....

Quote:
Certain areas of the city are VERY dangerous. Lots of shootings in Pittsburgh.
Who is doing all the shooting? Are they white, black, or otherly represented? Is it a gang issue, or a broader one?- - - Address the issue by cracking down on the perpetrators, not by giving them carte blanche to de facto rule by force....

Quote:
Hundreds and hundreds of houses literally collapsing in on themselves. Hundreds of others in complete disrepair. No one seems to care.
I'm sure people care, but until money is in place to change these areas, they'll continue to depreciate in value until someone can come in and buy them up at little to no cost, and they will do like they did in St. Louis, building the neighborhood back from scratch.

Quote:
There are large areas of Pittsburgh that are horrible.
"Horrible", how?. . . . . please at least give reasons, and perhaps even a few ideas for solutions.... blanket statements like these do no good for anyone....

Quote:
The neighborhoods are crime ridden, falling apart, filled with garbage and the buildings are a mess.
You name one city over 50,000 that doesn't have this issue to some degree, and I'll sell ya' the Brooklyn Bridge, buddy!!! - - - From what ALL the facts bear out, crime in Pittsburgh really is alot better than the NATIONAL AVERAGE, and if there are a few neighborhoods in trouble, then the people living there have to be the FIRST ONES to make the efforts to root out the criminals... hell, I'd call the cops on my own kid, if he was a shiftless little thug, selling drugs or robbing people... screw 'im; I'd throw him to the wolves..... but if those in the area won't take the steps to rein in their kids, then the issue isn't about the "city"; it's about those irresponsible arseholes in certain areas OF IT who will not discipline their children....

Quote:
Yet, when City Data posts pictures on here, you just see that million dollar view. If you're planning on moving here prepare yourself for inner city blight of the most extreme variety. It's VERY depressing. Add to it the gray days and the filth of the city grime and it's amazing.
Okay, what is City-Data supposed to do, show you pictures of the five-square block area of junkies, whores and the "criminal element"?... Oh yeah. that's a GREAT way to promote the city and get outsiders to come in and inject new funds into it..... this claim is so silly, I shouldn't even be responding to it....

Quote:
Meanwhile the city builds it's THIRD stadium, completely ignoring the degradation and collapse of large sections of the city's infrastructure and housing market.
Apparently, the 90% of Pittsburgh that's in decent shape wants beter arenas, and is willing to pay for them through bond elections that they voted for. I suggest putting initiatives on the ballot to raise money for underserved areas of the city to rebuild their infrastructure as well, or tie into the Stadium/Arena plans an additional requirement that the winning bid has to have plans for revitalizing the nearby areas surrounding the new facility.... hey, it worked in NEWARK, NEW JERSEY and ST. LOUIS, so it can work in Pittsburgh.....

Quote:
Also, you had better like the Steeler's mentality.
I'm a Cowboys man, 'til I die.... I BLEED Blue & Silver.... now, so long as the Steelers don't come up against my 'Boys, I'll root for the home team, but I shall never forsake my beloved DALLAS COWBOYS!!!

Quote:
Don't talk about racism, that cuts both ways in this city. Don't talk about huge sections near downtown too dangerous to walk in for fear of being shot.
I AM talking about it... here ya' go: "Hey, thugs and gangbangers. . . put down the guns, pull up your damned pants, and get real jobs, you tools!!!---Quit hurting your own communities, because it really ain't as cool as you think it is!!!!".....

There.... I did MY part, now you do yours, and place the blame where it rightfully goes.... don't expect the city to always bail out those who don't even care about their own block.....

Quote:
Don't talk about the economic depression all around causing bridges to crumble and houses to fall apart.
"Depression all around"?.... the city looks pretty normal to me, man... try a week here in the Bronx with me, and let's see how fast your attitude about Pittsburgh changes for the better.... maybe, you'll even see some ways you could help IMPROVE it, rather than just bitchin' about it...

Quote:
Don't talk about the obvious need for health care for many of the citizens of this city. No, indeed, just praise the research and medical institutes who make millions off the suffering of sick people in Pittsburgh. I have never seen so many people in a city look so ill. Pale, sick, many are limping, teeth missing, and just plain ill looking.
Are you one of Hillary's staffers or something?.... Who is paying you to say all this?!?!?! LOL!!!!

But hey. U S A U S A!!!! We're number one!

Quote:
Just talk about sports. Hey, how bout dem Penguins?!
GO PENS!!!!!!!!! BRING IN ON HOME TO THE MELLON CENTER, BABY!!!!

Quote:
It's insanity you can only see in a city in the USA. Pittsburgh is a great example of how far we've come during the Bush regime.
Yup - - you DO work for CLinton, don'tcha'???. . . . Or, are you just too young to remember that this all started waaaaay back during Jimmy CARTER'S reign, and continued through Clinton, Reagan, and TWO Bushes???....

It ain't about who is President and I can make a case for ALL of them being to blame, but it's about LOCAL ACTIVISM, making a difference... just whining about it changes absolutely NOTHING.....

Quote:
Riches for the few while the city crumbles, racism is rampant, violence is the norm and people suffer and die from lack of basic health care.
Welcome to life AFTER high-school, man.... this real world kinda' sux, eh?.... Not what they told ya' is was gonna' be, huh?.... Well - - - you had a chance to get a nice degree in Civil Engineering or Social Work..... time for you to put it to good use and change something!!!!! Show the world that YOU can make a difference, and help your city get better, even as you help yourself feel better about living here!!!!

Quote:
But hey, the Steelers.... whoa dude, did you catch the game last week?
Nope, sorry - - I really havn't payed much attention to the Steelers ever since the GIANTS won the Super Bowl a few months ago, man... I've been too busy getting ready to move to Pittsburgh and do whatever I can to make my block, neighborhood, and newly adopted city a better place......

So, what was last week's score, by the way, since you're so "plugged in"?.......

By~Tor 3:16 says I just whupped your *****.............................

Last edited by By~Tor; 03-23-2008 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: Additional Comment

Old 03-23-2008, 06:55 PM

I think goodgirl49 brought up a very good point when she said ignoring a problem doesn't make it go away. While I, too, think lessports' post is negative, some of what he is saying is true. It would be helpful for everyone there to make a little effort to improve the city, instead of trying to say it doesn't need to change.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:59 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,066,997 times
By~Tor while I commend your zealousness, don't feed the obnoxious trolls (notice that post was his FIRST and ONLY post). I'm sure it is the same iteration of the several trolls who keep re-creating names just to get banned over and over, and I'm obviously not just saying that because it was a negative post.

You can tell by the writing that it's a troll and most of the stuff he or she said is completely and ludicrously false, misleading, generalized, and bitter.

Although I do agree with certain aspects like major cities across the country need much more money invested in bridge repair and safety inspection. Although I find some of the stuff in the last post VERY hard to believe. The Birmingham bridge sunk a few inches recently and was shut down for repair IMMEDIATELY. I'm sure there are some bridges that need some major work to meet the most stringent safety standards, but I doubt a "literally crumbling" bridge would pass safety inspection. Maybe I'm naive.

I won't comment on anything else, it's simply obnoxious. Maybe if the information was presented in a constructive and factual manner, I would be more inclined to do so.

Quote:
I think goodgirl49 brought up a very good point when she said ignoring a problem doesn't make it go away. While I, too, think lessports' post is negative, some of what he is saying is true. It would be helpful for everyone there to make a little effort to improve the city, instead of trying to say it doesn't need to change.
I agree with this sort of comment full-heartedly. I haven't read even a tenth of this thread, but if someone is claiming Pittsburgh doesn't have problems, they are badly mistaken. I sort of think you could say that for any place on earth, unless I missed the address for Utopia. But just because everyplace has problems doesn't mean they are acceptable and doesn't mean they shouldn't be and can't be fixed.

Quote:
I found this one to be hilarious, though, not gonna lie. :P

Old 03-23-2008, 07:07 PM

Good catch, guylocke! Ordinarily, I am very careful about answering posts on this forum from people who just joined today. I let my guard slip on this one. But I do stand by what I said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh