Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2017, 05:02 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,691,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
No need to apologize. There are a lot of us on this forum that enjoy recommending or discussing our city and its burbs.

In my opinion, the humidity is worse than the winters. Sure we have winter but it really is only bad for a few weeks.
Yeah, I can't move to Pittsburgh -- with the humidity, I'd be spending summers in the hospital. On the other hand, at least the hospital is AC, right?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 04:18 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,587,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
Yeah, I can't move to Pittsburgh -- with the humidity, I'd be spending summers in the hospital. On the other hand, at least the hospital is AC, right?
IDK I have not noticed the humidity here being all that bad in the summer. Maybe a few days a year where you want to stay inside where there is AC on. It doe not get into the 90s very often here either.

Old 11-04-2017, 11:24 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,644,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
IDK I have not noticed the humidity here being all that bad in the summer. Maybe a few days a year where you want to stay inside where there is AC on. It doe not get into the 90s very often here either.
Coming from the southwest, Pittsburgh summers will seem very humid to the OP. I'm from San Francisco and find Pittsburgh summers to be oppressively humid.

Old 11-08-2017, 02:17 PM

508 posts, read 888,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Greenfield has plenty of Jews (of the non-Messianic variety), and that’s nothing new. The Eastern side of the neighborhood has been at least 25% since the postwar era. Lee Gutkind has written about growing up Jewish in Greenfield, and how his mother stubbornly insisted they were from Squirrel Hill because they lived in Postal Zone 17 (15217 in today’s zip code era).

I like Squirrel Hill more, too, but that’s no reason to put down Greenfield—or anywhere for that matter.
But c'mon, it's a poor man's Squirrel Hill. It's a cheaper knockoff. It ain't the real deal. There are more Messianics in Greenfield than in Squirrel Hill proper.

Old 11-08-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
The commercial side of the main avenue between the church and Kanai, onward to the ball fields, has actually been spruced up very nicely. The homes opposite it are shabby, sure. But overall, for Pittsburgh standards, if it is "looks depressing", then 80% of the rest of the city looks like hell.

The area seems buzzing - people busy raising their kids, meeting at the club down near the Co-Gos, doing things with the church...it has really hung on through the decades, I think, and gotten to be very nice, moreso up the hills in the unofficially named Bigelow Heights area (McClain, Bigelow, Susanna Court, Winterburn...).

I think people are paying way too much for a house there, but that's a different discussion.
Eh, you said it. In all seriousness, it's more like 60% of the city looks like hell, but that number keeps going down, it'll be 40% soon enough. The more the awnings come down, the more the paneling comes down, and the last of the wallpaper and putrid carpeting is taken out.

Old 11-08-2017, 03:19 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,511,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
Charisb, may I ask where you came from 9 years ago? (If you don't want to answer, that's fine, of course.) The reason I'm asking is because I think I remember you -- I was on the Pittsburgh board years ago and for about 6 months -- I was thinking of moving to Pittsburgh back then. The reason I didn't move then was because I read the Pittsburgh had 9-month winters. LOL Another reason I'm asking is: how do you like it in Pittsburgh overall?

So I'm looking at Pittsburgh again because I live in NM, and one of the things I loved/love about NM was/is that it's so gorgeous. And for the last 12 years, I've spent falls and springs driving around the state. But now I'm getting to the, ahem, age where I can't do that as often and as for long -- I use to be gone all day. Then three years ago I broke my shoulder, and 18 months later I severely broke my arm and wrist (same side -- LLLLLLLLLLOOOOOLLLLLLL -- and neither break was even my fault! So I've slowed down rather a lot.

About a year ago, I joined The Jewish Community Center here, and I love it -- I not only work out there most days but I've gotten more and more involved in other things at JCC as time has gone by. I noticed that South SH has a Jewish community center which is MUUUUUCH better than the one we have here. (Makes our JCC here seem so sad in comparison. ) AND, if I live in in the 15217 zip code I get either free or low-cost transportation to and from the center everyday.

I also would love to live in a big city again. Returning to Southern CA, where I lived for 57 years and where The Big One is coming any time (and it truly is), is not an option.
I've been here 20+ years and I can say that Pittsburgh has not 9 moths of winter. For God sake, we are not Alaska or the north pole! There is this thing called wikipedia, there is the internet, the weather channel etc... lots of info out there one can find about the weather in Pittsburgh. There are plenty of option in sq hill. Just get a good realtor. I think you should be able to find something without that many steps.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:38 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryRSpooner View Post
But c'mon, it's a poor man's Squirrel Hill. It's a cheaper knockoff. It ain't the real deal. There are more Messianics in Greenfield than in Squirrel Hill proper.
Greenfield is its own neighborhood, not some blue sign squad creation or real estate marketing gimmick. The only thing about Greenfield I ever found overhyped was Szmidt’s, and even then, I didn’t make that into a manifesto trashing the entire neighborhood.

And noch amol with the Messianics. They have a shul there. So frigging what?

Old 11-09-2017, 07:37 AM

Messianics...Feh...ah, whatever. I won't go off on the topic. Beyond them, Greenfrield isn't for me. I think Hazelwood has far more charm and offers a far better bang for your buck than does Greenfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh