Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2008, 05:36 PM

2 posts, read 7,455 times

Advertisements

Hello!! We currently live in Greensboro, NC & my hubby just started a great job in Spartansburg, PA (about 30 min south of Erie). We have lived in & enjoyed Greensboro since 1990. After visiting Erie and getting depressed (it felt like a dying town.... one can only spend so much time admiring the goregeous lake)... we decided to change direction and look towards Pittsburgh (however.... hubby says it will always be the Broncos folr him) Anyway, I get the job of finding "the area". HELP!!!
Our situation is we plan to rent for starters until our house sells.... but want to be "around" the area we will eventually buy. Our house here will sell for between $850,000-915,000... so we are looking for higher end residential areas......with the best resale possibilities, at least 1/2 to 1 acrea lots....would consider building if need be. We also want to be as far north of Pittsburgh as possible.... and still be able to get to some nice restaurants, grocery stores, shopping, ect within about 15 min. But we know nothing about PA (let alone Pittsburgh or any areas between Pitts. and Erie). We are 50 yrs old... our kids are out of the house, but we are used to being spoiled with great food, entertainment, etc(and want a home to spoil future grand kids). Please help.... and what's the deal with the out-of-control taxes (which equate to another house payment??..... at least in Erie)... is that true everywhere, or can you find very nice homes with the above amenities and lower taxes (w/o being out in the sticks??!!)
Would so much appreciate your help. He hopes I will have "a plan" soon since we are set to move up (ie. I will join him) in 2 weeks... and since I won't be working, I will do the initial "hunting".
Thank you!! Jan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 06:06 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
A couple quick answers (and hopefully a lot more helpful answers will follow):

First, outside of a few neighborhoods, you will probably find it difficult to spend that much on a house in Western PA. Personally, I would at least consider taking some of the proceeds from selling your old house in cash, rather than spending it all on your new place.

Second, the property tax situation in Western PA is a result of the overall tax picture in Pennsylvania plus the relatively low property prices in Western PA. Basically, local school districts and municipalities in PA get relatively little revenue from state income taxes and sales taxes and are expected to make it up with property taxes. But particularly in areas where property prices are low, the property tax rates have to be high in order to generate sufficient revenues. But actually, overall property taxes in Western PA are about average, once you factor in both the relatively high rates and the relatively low basis.

But returning to the first point, that does mean that if you are coming from elsewhere and you spend the same amount on a house, you will likely get a much nicer house, but your property tax bill may also go way up. The solution is to pay less for a house--and usually you still can get a nicer house anyway--which lowers your tax basis. And you end up with the difference in cash, which is nice.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:28 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
I'd never heard of Spartansburg and just googled it--it's over 100 miles from Pittsburgh, close to the NY border. Any place in between Pittsburgh and Erie's going to be somewhat rural. I have a friend whose in-laws live in Meadville, PA, but I don't know what it's like, and I don't think it's a very cosmopolitan town.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:40 PM

2 posts, read 7,455 times
Yes... it is about 1.5 hours from Pittsburgh to Spartansburgh... so I need help on getting advise regarding the nicest suburb on the north side of Pittsburgh (the farther north the better).... he feels it's worth the drive to have the amenities offered by a larger city and will work some of the week out of the house when possible to help cut down on driving.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:41 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,755 times
To each their own, but that sounds like absolute insanity to commute over two hours for work. Plus, for the kind of money you're talking about you could buy, or build, an estate out in the country or near one of the nicer towns in the area, like Franklin. It seems like it would be easier to do that and then drive into the city, not just the burbs when you'd like a night on the town.

But as for your original question, Wexford/Pine Township area is probably the most "upscale" northern suburb with Cranberry/Zilienople following.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:45 AM

85 posts, read 335,538 times
wow, I agree this sounds crazy but to each their own. I guess I would suggest Cranberry. Although I personally would never live there, it sounds right for what you want.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:57 AM

71 posts, read 302,697 times
I would say give Erie another try in the summer.... there are some nice neighborhoods up there and alot of restaurants... Plus you are close to Cleveland, Buffalo and 3 hrs or so to Toronto

Old 03-22-2008, 10:58 AM

71 posts, read 302,697 times
you are going to hate your commute in the winter... the area between Erie and Pittsburgh is the snow belt... usually gets 120 inches or more of snow a year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh