Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 02:05 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times

Advertisements

While battling strep throat I’ve spent most of my day watching HGTV’s Tiny House Hunters on Hulu.

Pittsburgh has a plethora of smaller, vacant, city-owned lots. Wouldn’t it seem logical to buy one of these lots from the URA for pennies on the dollar and plop a tiny house upon it?

I am aware of the failed “Tiny House Experiment” in Garfield. With how popular this trend is becoming in many other parts of the country, though, is there any way to make it financially feasible here? Spending $150,000 for a basic tiny house when the entire point of a tiny house is financial freedom isn’t acceptable. How is this more affordable in more expensive places like Oregon and California than it is in Pittsburgh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 02:08 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
I'd like to think that, although the City sometimes seems to have been overrun by hipsters, that most people living there are still pretty smart.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:12 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I'd like to think that, although the City sometimes seems to have been overrun by hipsters, that most people living there are still pretty smart.
What is that supposed to mean?

Given rising real estate prices here and the dearth of 1-BR/1-BA homes on the market here at any given time it seems like there should be plenty of people interested in tiny houses. I would personally like a “bigger” (500-600-square-foot) tiny house, but I’m not paying $100,000+ for one when I see so many others in more expensive locations being had for cheaper. Oh, and I’m not a hipster.

Why is this city so tiny house-unfriendly?

Old 11-10-2017, 02:26 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,945 times
because nobody can make enough money off of it and government doesn't feel the need to subsidize it. where land is cheap enough for it to make sense there are already inhabitable houses that can be bought in your price range.

basically you have a lot. unless you build four houses on that lot building one tiny house is going to cost more per square foot. they can get more money by building a bigger house. not sure if the lots can be broken up, but at that point you are better off building condos.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:34 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
What is that supposed to mean?

Given rising real estate prices here and the dearth of 1-BR/1-BA homes on the market here at any given time it seems like there should be plenty of people interested in tiny houses. I would personally like a “bigger” (500-600-square-foot) tiny house, but I’m not paying $100,000+ for one when I see so many others in more expensive locations being had for cheaper. Oh, and I’m not a hipster.

Why is this city so tiny house-unfriendly?
How much does the building lot cost? Add site prep. That's assuming the small lots are considered buildable as far as area.

Multiply that number by 2 1/2 to 3 1/2. That's the number most builders want to see as a selling price. If it's under that then an individual will have to buy the lot and build it themselves.

Most people do look at resale down the road so there is going to be hesitation to build a house, or anything, that's in reality a very small niche market and has all the earmarks of a fad.

I'll give a very local Southern Maryland example from here. A number of years ago a storm wiped out most of the old beach cottages on our waterfront. Many of the rebuilds ended up being two bedroom houses. A fair number have gone up for sale and have sat on the market for months and even years. The reason? Two bedrooms.

Old 11-10-2017, 03:04 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,445 times
I think it has to do with the lack of demand. Why pay $75k for a tiny house on wheels where you can #2 while sitting on your composting toilet/couch in your bedroom/bath/kitchen? You can pay 60k and get a small 3 bedroom house. One that is quite vintage even.

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/.../pid_20894393/

I have always wanted a small, historically accurate/intact bungalow, but those are hard to find in Pgh. I have settled on the idea of perhaps building one someday using historical house plans, but at this point in my life it is very cost prohibitive.

Old 11-10-2017, 03:08 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,697,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Ha! Best response I've read in years.

Old 11-10-2017, 03:12 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,894 times
Zoning and utility hookup costs and whatever you have to pay to make the lot buildable. Plus the URA may not want to sell to you for pennies on the dollar.

Old 11-10-2017, 03:12 PM

179 posts, read 106,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Pittsburgh has a plethora of smaller, vacant, city-owned lots. Wouldn’t it seem logical to buy one of these lots from the URA for pennies on the dollar and plop a tiny house upon it?

I am aware of the failed “Tiny House Experiment” in Garfield. With how popular this trend is becoming in many other parts of the country, though, is there any way to make it financially feasible here? Spending $150,000 for a basic tiny house when the entire point of a tiny house is financial freedom isn’t acceptable. How is this more affordable in more expensive places like Oregon and California than it is in Pittsburgh?
"Tiny homes" don't conform to city building codes?

Old 11-10-2017, 03:20 PM

496 posts, read 411,651 times
By the time one pays impact fees etc, the price of a tiny home on a city lot would be far more than most people want to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh