Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 08:57 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,892,981 times

Advertisements

There is nothing cool about 2017 Shadyside, but the neighborhood offers the best combination of amenities in the city. The only thing that comes close is the part of East Liberty closest to Shadyside (and the East Busway). Lawrenceville has amazing restaurants and nightlife, but I will never live in a neighborhood where I can’t walk to a supermarket. East Liberty splits the difference between Lawrenceville and Shadyside, but most of the single-family homes are pretty far removed from the commercial strips. Squirrel Hill actually has everything except hipness, and it’s less conveniently located to downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 09:14 AM

16 posts, read 28,114 times
I believe that Shadyside is truly a unique neighborhood for a city of Pittsburgh's size. It is unique in being a a longstanding upscale neighborhood that never went through a downturn and got "rediscovered." Most trendy city neighborhoods went through a period of hard times before they got rediscovered and gentrified, usually because of having a high quality historic housing stock. Shadyside remained popular during times when most people were turning their back on the city.

I think some of the negative qualities of the neighborhood are a result of its uninterrupted prosperity. The mid-century apartments are a result of investment in the city neighborhood at a time when most people were building in the suburbs. Many of the remuddled houses were a result of investment in the 70's and 80's that reflected the misguided design norms of the time. Even the chain retail on Walnut Street is a sign of the neighborhood's success. What other city of Pittsburgh's size has these upscale stores on an urban neighborhood street? They typically are found in upscale malls and lifestyle centers.

On another note, I think Shadyside was hip even prior to hippie era. My uncle use to go to poetry readings at a place called Cafe Bastille during in the late 50's - early 60's.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:35 AM

14,360 posts, read 16,863,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portroyalsound View Post
I believe that Shadyside is truly a unique neighborhood for a city of Pittsburgh's size. It is unique in being a a longstanding upscale neighborhood that never went through a downturn and got "rediscovered." Most trendy city neighborhoods went through a period of hard times before they got rediscovered and gentrified, usually because of having a high quality historic housing stock. Shadyside remained popular during times when most people were turning their back on the city.
Shadyside was not unique for this in Pittsburgh though, because Squirrel Hill and Point Breeze escaped any serious urban decay as well. Indeed, I'd argue that Squirrel Hill is a more "pure" example of a lack of decay, because isolated pockets of Shadyside did indeed go through a "bad" period - and much of it did at least have a relative decline in prosperity between the 1950s and 1980s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by portroyalsound View Post
I think some of the negative qualities of the neighborhood are a result of its uninterrupted prosperity. The mid-century apartments are a result of investment in the city neighborhood at a time when most people were building in the suburbs. Many of the remuddled houses were a result of investment in the 70's and 80's that reflected the misguided design norms of the time. Even the chain retail on Walnut Street is a sign of the neighborhood's success. What other city of Pittsburgh's size has these upscale stores on an urban neighborhood street? They typically are found in upscale malls and lifestyle centers.
I would broadly agree with this. The mid-20th century towers in North Oakland are pretty hideous as well.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:51 PM

440 posts, read 545,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
There is nothing cool about 2017 Shadyside, but the neighborhood offers the best combination of amenities in the city. The only thing that comes close is the part of East Liberty closest to Shadyside (and the East Busway). Lawrenceville has amazing restaurants and nightlife, but I will never live in a neighborhood where I can’t walk to a supermarket. East Liberty splits the difference between Lawrenceville and Shadyside, but most of the single-family homes are pretty far removed from the commercial strips. Squirrel Hill actually has everything except hipness, and it’s less conveniently located to downtown.
I think "cool" is a relative term.. older I get more I realize I have no idea what is or isn't cool LOL .. It's almost as if you took the thoughts of that entire east end and put it in writing.

Old 11-24-2017, 10:36 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,764,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie6 View Post
I think "cool" is a relative term.. older I get more I realize I have no idea what is or isn't cool LOL .. It's almost as if you took the thoughts of that entire east end and put it in writing.
Shadyside is still one of the best neighborhoods in Pittsburgh. Its proximity to the busway, Oakland, has several shopping areas of its own (Walnut, Ellsworth, S.Highland), not to mention some of Bakery Square is in Shadyside. Oh it is also home to Whole Foods and a Giant Eagle Market District. Shadyside has it all and mostly a flat area, which is nice. Some of the best homes and more. Doesn't get much better. I think some put it down because of how expensive it got and many people don't like those with money of course. Jealousy.

Love Shadyside and all the arts there. Wonderful music can be heard in several of the churches around and you can hear some of it on WQED during their Christmas shows. It is a gem of a place.

Old 07-29-2018, 07:35 PM

133 posts, read 97,232 times
We are considering Shadyside, Point Breeze, Sq Hill, Downtown and Sq Hill for our last home that we will retire in and leave to our daughter to inherit. No idea but I personally love Shadyside

Old 07-31-2018, 09:03 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyAnn53 View Post
We are considering Shadyside, Point Breeze, Sq Hill, Downtown and Sq Hill for our last home that we will retire in and leave to our daughter to inherit. No idea but I personally love Shadyside
If you like the indoors, Pittsburgh is a good place to retire, but if you like to go outside often, it is probably one of the worst places in the country. The weather here is about as bad as it can be. Jan-March a sloppy mess. April-May rain. July-August hot and so humid you can breath and just a smell of mold. September- October is pretty nice. November-December a sloppy mess.

Thankfully we have a lot of indoor activities and that helps. If you hate sun and brightness, it is also good. Just make sure you have a lot of vitamin d around or travel, pretty much anywhere else to get some sun.

Enjoy your retirement.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:56 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,071,490 times
Shadyside IMO went too commercial. It used to be more bohemian. It is for sure no longer a cool neighborhood, though it is an upscale one that's close to all of the action in the East End.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:09 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Shadyside IMO went too commercial. It used to be more bohemian. It is for sure no longer a cool neighborhood, though it is an upscale one that's close to all of the action in the East End.
For what you get it is cheaper than the trust fund infused Lawrenceville. I think Shadyside is a steal in comparison to be honest.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:22 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,271,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
For what you get it is cheaper than the trust fund infused Lawrenceville. I think Shadyside is a steal in comparison to be honest.
240k for a not updated 2 bed 1 bath apartment seems steep. i definitely understand the appeal but you can do better than that in lville if you don't have to be close to the east end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh