Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 05:03 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
I found this interesting, found it when poking around to see if rookies shhot/are shot more than older cops. Others may find it at least more interesting than this thread.
https://www.theatlantic.com/national...rguson/383681/
It is interesting, but I think it misses some big points. Okay, so cops are trained to survive the day. I get that, but we need to throw in what is really going on these days. The Internet is a place where people can pick and choose what to read and can get information that proves a cop needs to be on guard all the time. On the flip side, you have wpipkins providing a link about some black guy shot in Minnesota as his example of how policing is done here in our region. It sort of proves how people are using the Internet to see everything to promote their cause. What do you think cops are watching and sharing on the Internet? Yep, police shootings across the country or police getting attacked. Complete opposite of what black people are sharing.

I think in the end this is VERY bad for the black community. They are grossly outnumbered and people want to be safe. Officer Brian Shaw is just another cop being shot, so cops need to be more aggressive and pull their trigger first. that is the message to police. I see no winners here, just losers on both sides. I think this is the beginning of a very long and bad run of violence. This is a reason for me to want to move out of our region. I don't want to deal with this crap, I just want to work and go home in peace. I really dislike how the Internet is creating these echo-chambers for people to promote their agendas and really get aggressive towards people on the other side. It promotes hatred. People don't want to admit it, but I feel it is doing just that.

Anyway, it is a learning experience sort of. I feel like I pretty much get the whole picture from both sides at this point. No winners for sure and probably this will continue for decades and get worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 05:49 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,894 times
Well, if you don’t like Castille, there’s Leon Ford. Also with the young panicky cop not following procedure.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:21 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
so you are saying that this cop was a corrupt racist that deserved it, and more of them are on the hit list? wow...
not sure what community you are an asset to but, glad i dont live there.
I said the cop was aggressive and he was well known for all the wrong reasons. I did not think anyone deserves a death sentence. I have children of my own for God's sake. I would not wish that pain on anyone black or white. My family members were not surprised that this happened though.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
so you are saying that this cop was a corrupt racist that deserved it, and more of them are on the hit list? wow...
not sure what community you are an asset to but, glad i dont live there.
This is not my community. I live in the city of Pittsburgh. I am an asset to my community. I volunteer with youth, help the elderly, I organized our latest community clean up day and was able to have dangerous trees removed from our main Street. I am a family man and I keep my yard nice...... Did I mention that I organize toys for tots at my neighborhood church as well as our first annual breakfast with santa toy giveaway at my work.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
wpipkins, erieguy kind of brought up this point:

But I'm calling you out directly on it.
You claim this particular officer was well known around town for his aggressive behavior towards certain segments of society, and you called him a serial stalker who has been the talk of the town. And then you also very clearly point out that the alleged shooter is not from the area, but is from Hazelwood.

Hazelwood and New Ken are about a 40 minute drive apart.
So how would this suspect have known this officer? How would he have known that he's such a racist, as you've insinuated? I see a connection as being extremely unlikely, bordering on impossible. About as likely as me taking 40 minutes of my time to drive to Upper St Clair, being pulled over by an officer, and knowing about said officer's reputation - just by seeing him approach my car.

You're talking out of both sides of your mouth on this situation.
1. Either the cop was a despicable racist, who everyone knew was such, and who had it coming.
2. The suspect was from so far away that he couldn't have known this officer and decided to kill him simply because the officer was an officer (and simply because the suspect is a piece of human garbage).

So which one is it? Because you can't have it both ways.

Personally, I recommend Option 2. The evidence seems to point that way. Take a gander at court records online.
This guy has a lengthy criminal record. Multiple charges of carrying firearms without a license, and resisting arrest. Other charges include drug charges, aggravated assault, tampering with evidence, burglary, recklessly endangering another person, disorderly conduct, and providing false identification to law enforcement.

But you gotta pick one, because you can't have it both ways.
I don't have to pick a mutha ****in thing. I do not know or associate with criminals or criminal activity. This is not my question to answer.

Using my street smarts I'll simply put it this way...... A young black man with a gun from the city probably has drugs too. The crack and opioid epidemic hit that section of Westmoreland county hard. The only reason for being there is to sell drugs with less competition and higher prices. These young men from Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and NYC moved to these type of areas and are unkown to the locals. They set up shop and use fake names. They find a young lady and move in. Then elevate the young ladies living conditions. I can say the alleged shooter was from the city but did his "dirt" in Westmoreland County.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:49 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
I don't have to pick a mutha ****in thing. I do not know or associate with criminals or criminal activity. This is not my question to answer.

Using my street smarts I'll simply put it this way...... A young black man with a gun from the city probably has drugs too. The crack and opioid epidemic hit that section of Westmoreland county hard. The only reason for being there is to sell drugs with less competition and higher prices. These young men from Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and NYC moved to these type of areas and are unkown to the locals. They set up shop and use fake names. They find a young lady and move in. Then elevate the young ladies living conditions. I can say the alleged shooter was from the city but did his "dirt" in Westmoreland County.

Can't rep you, gotta go suburban.

Old 11-25-2017, 03:41 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
I said the cop was aggressive and he was well known for all the wrong reasons. I did not think anyone deserves a death sentence. I have children of my own for God's sake. I would not wish that pain on anyone black or white. My family members were not surprised that this happened though.
Makes no sense that anyone wouldn’t be surprised that a criminal killed an officer that was doing his job. While I’ve heard little good about New Kensington, it certainly sounds like a terrible way/place to live.

There also has been no mention/talk by anyone about Shaw’s supposedly aggressive behavior. That’s surely odd for anyone who’s supposedly been the talk of the town, especially with all of the media/social media outlets these days.

Last edited by erieguy; 11-25-2017 at 04:24 PM..

Old 11-25-2017, 03:45 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,900,053 times
Quote:

Why can't you pick one?
Either the cop was a horrid racist who had this coming, as you insinuated; or the suspect had no connections to the area, couldn't have known about the officer's reputation, and murdered him simply because he was an officer.
You can't have this both ways. You can't say that the cop was a racist, but then backpedal and say that the suspect had no connections to this particular region.
Logically, you simply can't have it both ways. Logically, its one or the other. These mental gymnastics that you're doing, they ain't looking pretty.

Even the answer I quoted seems to be out of both sides of your mouth. You open the post with saying how you're disconnected from criminal activity. Then you present a hypothesis regarding a criminal's motives. I'm sorry, maybe I'm misreading things - but that is very confusing to me, as it seems contradictory.

You've called me out personally regarding "dog whistles" and you don't seem afraid to call out racism or prejudice when you believe that you see it.
I'm simply pointing the spotlight on you on this particular issue.

I'm tired of racism and social problems in our society being blamed solely on white people. Maybe some problems with police-community relations can be blamed on the prejudice against the police by segments of the African-American community? You're in this thread making excuses to seemingly justify why a murdered police officer "had it coming", and then backpedaling so quickly to dissociate the alleged shooter from the members of the local African-American community that were allegedly persecuted by the murdered officer's alleged racism. Maybe you need to take a step back and examine what may be your own bias and prejudice. Because I'm tired of our society acting like only white people have those traits - when the fact is that all humans have them.

You brought up Philando Castile. How about I bring up Kaepernick? The great crusader, who is being persecuted for calling attention to the oppression of minorities by police, and who is trying to lead the fight against racism in our society. Isn't racism judging people simply for being a member of a group? Instead of judging them on their own merits, one at a time?
Yet he can wear socks depicting police officers as pigs. https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2016...cks-49ers-camp
So its bad if the police engage in prejudice, and judge people based on their group membership. But its fine for African-American 'anti-racists' to judge all police officers as a group? The hypocrisy is over-whelming to me.

"No two things on earth are equal or have an equal chance, not a leaf nor a tree. There’s many a man worse than me, and some better, but I don’t think race or country matters a damn. What matters is justice." - Michael Shaara, The Killer Angels

Old 11-25-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
Well, if you don’t like Castille, there’s Leon Ford. Also with the young panicky cop not following procedure.
Ford is a free man and no issues. He is going to be in trial again, but so far innocent. Next case? Good luck. You have to comb the entire country to promote the agenda that police are evil. I am not buying into this stuff anymore. There are always a few bad ones, but most do want to do good for their area.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Why can't you pick one?
Either the cop was a horrid racist who had this coming, as you insinuated; or the suspect had no connections to the area, couldn't have known about the officer's reputation, and murdered him simply because he was an officer.
I don't know if wpipkins can just simply pick one. I don't believe this cop was as bad as he says because he just hasn't been on the job long enough to have some big reputation. A few months? Come on we have to be real here.

I do understand the anger, but I think most of it is very misguided. Most of the deaths of criminals are because they were a threat. As we can see by this situation people are a threat and the cops are taking notes. They will be even more aggressive now and who can really blame them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh