Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 08:09 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times

Advertisements

Moon Township is a suburb on the western fringes of Allegheny County. It was one of the handful of original townships in the county of Allegheny when it was first formed, with all of the other townships in the far west of the county (Crescent, Findlay, and both Fayettes) being hived off over time. The rump area of Moon Township stayed basically undeveloped farmland up through all of the 19th and the early 20th century.

The first true suburban development in Moon was the Mooncrest development. This housing project, a number of small townhouses, was developed by the federal government in 1943 as housing for defense workers at nearby Dravo corp who couldn't find housing in nearby Coraopolis. Major development however started in 1951, with the oppening of the Pittsburgh International Airport, which replaced the Allegheny County Airport as the main terminal for the region. Moon developed a significant autocentric business corridor off of several exits on I-376 near the airport, particularly what is now called University Boulevard.

The late 20th century redesign of Pittsburgh International Airport in order to make it a hub for U.S. Airways caused some trouble for Moon Township however. The new landside terminal was located not in Moon, but in nearby Findlay Township, with traffic redirected away from its commercial areas and the airport having a direct exit off of I-376. The "Moon side" of the airport became focused on cargo, and the area started a slow rebound. The township shifted its commercial focus over time to being a business hub and a residential area. The township also has an asset that is virtually unique among Pittsburgh suburbs in that it has its own private four-year college, Robert Morris University. Originally founded in Downtown Pittsburgh in 1921 as an accounting school, it operated with dual campuses in Downtown and Moon starting in 1963, but only in 2010 did it sell its last building in Downtown Pittsburgh to Duquense and shift to almost fully being a suburban school.

Moon Township is certainly not my cup of tea, but it is doing well for itself. It is estimated that during the period from 2010 to 2016, the township gained about 5.8% in population. It is likely that the area will see sustained growth at least through the 2020s, if not longer, due to the combination of large tracts of undeveloped land and the presence of strong regional job anchors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 08:20 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
My favorite thing about Moon is that it's home to the last remaining drive-in movie theater in the county:
Dependable Drive In

Old 11-20-2017, 10:22 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
My favorite thing about Moon is that it's home to the last remaining drive-in movie theater in the county:
Dependable Drive In
Yes to this. And it's super busy and does well. I used to feed a Moon Twp friend's horses when they were out of town in the 1970s. Yes it was that rural back then. Could even walk to the old airport to hang out and watch the planes come and go.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:55 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Yes to the drive-in as well. I believe the Great White North aka Town of McCandless is also home to a 4yr college, La Roche.

Old 11-20-2017, 04:04 PM

226 posts, read 302,853 times
Both my parents are from Moon. They graduated from Moon High in the late 70's before leaving the area. Most of my extended family still resides there. It's pretty much the definition of suburbia. Safe and boring.

Old 11-20-2017, 04:36 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Wings Suds n Spuds is in Moon and has excellent wings.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:16 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upthewazzu View Post
Both my parents are from Moon. They graduated from Moon High in the late 70's before leaving the area. Most of my extended family still resides there. It's pretty much the definition of suburbia. Safe and boring.
And it serves a purpose for those who want safe and boring. Nothing wrong with that. Just a preference.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:35 AM

226 posts, read 302,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
And it serves a purpose for those who want safe and boring. Nothing wrong with that. Just a preference.

Yep. I actually don't mind it, I just wish it was closer to the city proper. Parkway West is a mess most of the time and Ohio River Blvd isn't much easier. Although, I love how easy it is to get to from the airport.

Old 11-23-2017, 09:06 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upthewazzu View Post
Yep. I actually don't mind it, I just wish it was closer to the city proper. Parkway West is a mess most of the time and Ohio River Blvd isn't much easier. Although, I love how easy it is to get to from the airport.
It is one of only a handful of places that you can get to the airport from in a reasonable amount of time. The drive in is nice to have too.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:07 PM

595 posts, read 599,985 times
Moon for a long time was also the unofficial Settlement Services capital of the US. At one point, almost half (if not more) of the Cherrington, Airside, and Airport Office Parks were taken up by companies related to Mortgage/Settlement Services in the mid 2000s. While a few other places operated (and/or still operate) in other western suburbs or along the I-79 corridor - Moon has traditionally been the epicenter until the mortgage bubble popped, combined with relocation of much of this work to Texas (mostly Dallas), India, Costa Rica, and the Philippines.

There's still a large presence in the area - with ServiceLink, Mortgage Connect, Title 365, and TitleSource still in business - but this is a far cry compared to 10 years ago when LSI, LandAmerica, Countrywide, and others operated in large/multiple buildings in the area, as well as others such as Nations, etc.

Traffic at the Thorn Run Rd exit has improved drastically over the past few years. At one point there were plans to reconfigure the interchange due to the traffic patterns/volumes near the office parks - but these plans never came to fruition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh