Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2017, 10:35 AM

79 posts, read 84,312 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what anyone thought about what Pittsburgh Metro Area counties population will likely look like in the 2020 census.

Butler County will clearly have the largest increase due to continued growth in Cranberry/Adams and many of its other southern townships (Jackson/Forward/Middlesex/Buffalo) starting to blossom

Washington County will probably have a slight increase due to the northern townships still booming

Allegheny will probably be about the same as Washington with many suburban townships growing

Beaver will probably have a slight decrease as the Economy area seems to be the only growing place, as it is sort of part of the Cranberry monstrosity

Fayette and Armstrong will probably have an increase, but I'm not sure I think of them as metro counties

The one I wanted to ask about the most is Westmoreland, the estimates have been saying it has been losing a lot of population this decade, the only areas that have had slight increases are North Huntingdon/Manor, but it is a big county, and I feel like there would have to be somewhere else that could grow slightly. What other areas might have potential?

I'd love to hear others thoughts about this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 10:45 AM

I meant decrease for Fayette and Armstrong

Old 11-29-2017, 12:27 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,106,955 times
All of the counties have natural decline so even when say, Westmoreland county has more net in migration in a given year (which has happened), the overall population still declines.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
All of the counties have natural decline so even when say, Westmoreland county has more net in migration in a given year (which has happened), the overall population still declines.
Yeah I'm sure Westmoreland does have a good net migration, but maybe many of the more urban areas have already been built up for some time, whereas southern Butler County has had and still does have more open land closer to more major employers for more building to take place

Old 11-30-2017, 09:38 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,764,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandritz6 View Post
I was wondering what anyone thought about what Pittsburgh Metro Area counties population will likely look like in the 2020 census.
I think it will be pretty flat, but the average age will continue to drop and the residents on average will most likely be wealthier, but not by much.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:10 AM

354 posts, read 472,855 times
Butler Co will have a very slight increase, Fayette and Armstrong will have notable decreases, Allegheny, Beaver, Westmoreland and Washington county will have have slight decreases. That's what I expect. Until the average age drops below a certain threshold this is just the trend we are on, barring some sort of Amazon type event.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
Butler Co will have a very slight increase, Fayette and Armstrong will have notable decreases, Allegheny, Beaver, Westmoreland and Washington county will have have slight decreases. That's what I expect. Until the average age drops below a certain threshold this is just the trend we are on, barring some sort of Amazon type event.
Butler County grew about 5% last decade, I will expect about the same with many more new housing developments going up.

Washington grew about 2.5%, but I will expect it to be slightly lower this time with bigger losses elsewhere in the county other than along the route 19 and 79 north corridor, maybe no more than 1.0%.

Allegheny lost nearly 5% last decade but many of its suburbs have been making a comeback this decade, so I will say it may be similar to Washington in terms of that.

Westmoreland lost about 1.5% last decade, I will expect that to probably double to about 3.0% this time around with slowing of new housing developments and continuing of aging population, there may be some townships that will grow a little, but it will be overtaken by losses in the cities/boroughs and rural areas, so it will be like a shuffling around within the county in portions.

Beaver lost about 6.0% last decade, I will still expect to lose a little more now, but it will maybe be less as areas such as Economy and New Sewickley have gotten a little bit of extended Cranberry developments. It may have a strong turnaround by 2030 though due to the Shell plant being built.

Armstrong and Fayette will continue to lose about the same.

This is just what I have been seeing from my research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh