Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 08:32 PM

93 posts, read 91,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Relative to a traditional custom tailor, it is pretty cheap. Relative to Macy’s or most traditional mall stores, yes it is expensive. Expect casual and dress button down collared shirts in the $120+ range, custom pants similar in cost, but a full suit goes for $700 and up, which for a custom tailored suit is actually really good unless you have a direct connection to a tailor in Asia.
Can anyone provide any first-hand comparisons between Surmesur and Tom James? I'm needing a new suit, and I am strongly considering one of the two. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 07:13 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,955,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punctus_contra_punctum View Post
Can anyone provide any first-hand comparisons between Surmesur and Tom James? I'm needing a new suit, and I am strongly considering one of the two. Any suggestions?

Tom James was a lot more expensive but the service was top notch. If you can catch them during their sidewalk sale you may find a steel. It is much easier for me because i am tall and slim. 6'3". I can buy suit shirts from target and have them tailored.......you would not know the difference.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:17 PM

93 posts, read 91,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Tom James was a lot more expensive but the service was top notch. If you can catch them during their sidewalk sale you may find a steel. It is much easier for me because i am tall and slim. 6'3". I can buy suit shirts from target and have them tailored.......you would not know the difference.
Thanks for the suggestions -- I will have to look for Tom's James' sidewalk sale in the spring.

I have a similar frame similar to yours (6'1" and slim), and I can generally get a decent off-the-rack suit to fit with some tailoring, but I have a bear of a time with shirts. Most off-the-rack shirts (Brooks Brothers slim fit included) fit me like a tent, although I had not thought to try them tailored. I finally found a decent fitting shirt with the slim fit Charles Tyrwhitt, which are actually fairly reasonably priced if you catch one of their seemingly unending sales.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:14 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,880,096 times
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions -- I will have to look for Tom's James' sidewalk sale in the spring.

I have a similar frame similar to yours (6'1" and slim), and I can generally get a decent off-the-rack suit to fit with some tailoring, but I have a bear of a time with shirts. Most off-the-rack shirts (Brooks Brothers slim fit included) fit me like a tent, although I had not thought to try them tailored. I finally found a decent fitting shirt with the slim fit Charles Tyrwhitt, which are actually fairly reasonably priced if you catch one of their seemingly unending sales.
I get all of my dress shirts from Charles Tyrwhitt; best bang for your buck in my opinion.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:56 AM

440 posts, read 549,407 times
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I get all of my dress shirts from Charles Tyrwhitt; best bang for your buck in my opinion.
Thanks for all the Suggestions, as I am very quickly approaching updating my clothing .. Even Macy's suits (real suits) are starting off over $250 add in tailoring costs, custom suits are not as expensive .. I've never actually seen in either Tom James or Sur.. Just by look Tom James seems to be more of a gentlemen's store vs. a more modern suit store.

I'll give Charles Tyrwhitt I try..

Old 12-05-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:

You are tall and thin like me. Go to Target in East Liberty(Not all Target's carry the same shirts) and buy a premium slim fit shirt. Take it downtown to the Burlington Coat Factory and have the tailor customize the fit to your body. Report back with the results. The best 50 bucks ever.

Old 12-06-2017, 12:00 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,693,044 times
Quote:
You are tall and thin like me. Go to Target in East Liberty(Not all Target's carry the same shirts) and buy a premium slim fit shirt. Take it downtown to the Burlington Coat Factory and have the tailor customize the fit to your body. Report back with the results. The best 50 bucks ever.
Banana Republic suits are great and hold up very well over time.

Old 12-06-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Banana Republic suits are great and hold up very well over time.
I agree. I still shop at Banana Republic. The wool slacks last forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh