Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 08:24 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,876,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Millvale has Grist House Craft Brewery and Draai Laag Brewing Co.; Sharpsburg has the Dancing Gnome — now Etna will join the craft beer movement with a CoStar Brewing location in the borough's business district.
On Nov. 17, the brewers purchased the 327 Butler St. property from the development corporation. and adjacent lots from Etna business owners Lori Flower and Joe Fette.
According to Ramage, CoStar plans to start construction in April 2018 on its brewpub, featuring retractable garage doors and outdoor seating. The building will have concrete floors to accommodate three heavy brewing vats. The owners aim to open in the fourth quarter of 2018.
CoStar Brewing pub on tap for Etna | TribLIVE
Quote:
Another brewery and taproom to watch for, but not until late next year, is CoStar Brewing’s slated at and around 327 Butler St. in Etna — three vacant lots that brewery partners have purchased. Part of the parcel was owned by Etna Economic Development Corp. CoStar since 2013 has been making and selling well-regarded kegged beer to area watering holes from a Highland Park garage. The owners plan to be typically low-key about the new space’s progress, but they aim to carry over the garage style and focus on quality. Borough manager Mary Ellen Ramage says that “when they break ground in April, they will speak to press.”

Missing Links Brewery opening near Butler; CoStar buys in Etna | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
It seems as if the gentrification of Lawrenceville, Millvale, and Sharpsburg is spilling over into Etna.
Etna had a rather hipster-ish coffee shop open this summer: New Etna business fuses coffee with fine dining | TribLIVE
and now a brewery is coming to town. This in addition to the extension of the bike trail and creation of a riverfront park (Railway crossing in Etna deemed public, could save millions in extension of Three Rivers Heritage Trail | TribLIVE // https://www.pghcitypaper.com/pittsbu...nt?oid=3813288)
All of this is in addition to an annual Art Festival/Tour: Etna invites visitors to explore borough's art community | TribLIVE

I've personally been noticing the changes slowly occurring. Less vacant properties, more multi-car households, an increasing number of artists moving into the Borough. It seems that the trail of gentrification began in Lawrenceville, and then spread across the 40th St Bridge to Millvale, and has now hit Etna. We still have very cheap, comparatively, prices; a flat, walkable, and empty business district; and convenient access to both the City and the amenities of the North Hills suburbs.

I bought my home 4 years ago. I've recently begun tracking real estate websites, and my home's estimated value has appreciated between 20% and 80%. I am almost hoping that Etna does take off as the next 'hip' place to be, so that I can sell my house and get away from the congestion and return to the promised land of Shaler - and have a house that is further than arm's width away from my neighbors and that actually has off-street parking. But I digress from some of my personal complaints - as I thought some of the news of changes in Etna may interest some other posters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 08:47 AM

14,360 posts, read 16,870,700 times
This is great news for Etna, but I'm a bit sad to hear it's CoStar Brewing. They're a microbrewery which currently operates out of a garage in an alley in southern Highland Park (their name comes from Costar Way). I was really hoping when they'd find a spot in Highland Park (which still has many empty storefronts) East Liberty, or even, dare I dream, my own neighborhood of Morningside.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:34 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,771,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
This is great news for Etna, but I'm a bit sad to hear it's CoStar Brewing. They're a microbrewery which currently operates out of a garage in an alley in southern Highland Park (their name comes from Costar Way). I was really hoping when they'd find a spot in Highland Park (which still has many empty storefronts) East Liberty, or even, dare I dream, my own neighborhood of Morningside.
I don't think many little brewpubs could really open in the city these days. Just too expensive.

Glad Etna it getting a brewpub. I will be sure to try it and hope it is better than the places in Sharpsburg, which are very disappointing to me, but if you like drinking grapefruit beer, I guess you would like them.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:21 PM

gg, I know you're rather bullish on Sharpsburg - but I'm curious to hear your predictions of Etna's future?
Thanks!

Old 12-14-2017, 12:53 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,771,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
gg, I know you're rather bullish on Sharpsburg - but I'm curious to hear your predictions of Etna's future?
Thanks!
I think Etna will ride on the coattails of Sharpsburg to a point. Here is how I feel about that region and if you look at my history, I was predicting Sharpsburg's future pretty darn accurately, but I think it happened even faster than I thought possible.

Anyway there are a few key differences between Sharpsburg and Etna that will limit somewhat Etna's upward motion.

1. Etna is really removed from the river because of industry and a highway system that looks like a bucket of worms from above. Sharpsburg on the other hand has access to the river in a few locations and when the north end Riverfront 47 gets going I think that will be a game changer for Sharpsburg. Etna doesn't have that going for it, but it will have a park at some point and probably bike access to the trail that will go all the way downtown. That will be huge because it is a flat way to ride a bike to the city and back along the best river we have.

2. Etna's school system isn't as good, but it is still pretty darn good and probably will continue to get better. On the flip side Shaler's school system might be more appealing to some young hipster types, because they would have some preconceived notions regarding Fox Chapel's school and they might shy away from it due to ignorance. That being said, it might be a wash in a way because I see Etna growing from the city of Pittsburgh's growth/rising costs, so former Pittsburgh residents will move to Etna. Will Etna become a first ring suburb that is affordable to those that can't afford the city? Yes, I think it is clearly happening and it might happen all the way pretty fast because Sharpsburg has no homes for sale. You can walk between the two pretty easily if you enjoy walking.

3. Etna is all about its downtown. I think Etna has a nice little downtown that is pretty charming. Small, but pretty cool and the new sidewalk they put in, looks so happy and inviting. This brewpub is an indication that people believe Etna is on the rise. They are right. I don't think it will be as expensive as Sharpsburg, but I do think it will rise and Etna will also have no homes for sale because it is so close to the city and will always be cheaper than the city proper. Lets go across the river to Morningside for a moment. The prices in Morningside have skyrocketed in the past 8 years. People can't afford to buy there, so where can they buy? Homewood? Larimar? Most likely not, so they have to move out of the city itself because they are priced out. Etna is right there, so it is going to rise and keep rising since Pittsburgh is doing so much better now.

I like Etna's future for sure. I think it will just keep getting better and at some point people will realize living in the city is just too expensive and less cool. Look at Shadyside's history. Years ago it was "cool" and fun. Lawreneville is on its way out just like Shadyside in the cool factor as it is going to be filled with money. Where are people going to go? Polish Hill? Too late. I think the reluctancy of moving out of the city proper will fad as people just can't afford the city. At some point people will feel first ring suburbs are were the cool kids are going. If you don't have a trust fund, forget the old cool places like Lawrenceville and the city.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:58 PM

3,701 posts, read 2,633,298 times
Does Girty's Run overflow affect Etna and Millvale equally? Just homes near the creek? Fear the Girty!

Old 12-14-2017, 02:24 PM

http://www.etnaborough.org/files/Etn...EV05072013.pdf

Old 12-14-2017, 05:49 PM

4,692 posts, read 8,985,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I like Etna's future for sure. I think it will just keep getting better and at some point people will realize living in the city is just too expensive and less cool. Look at Shadyside's history. Years ago it was "cool" and fun. Lawreneville is on its way out just like Shadyside in the cool factor as it is going to be filled with money. Where are people going to go? Polish Hill? Too late. I think the reluctancy of moving out of the city proper will fad as people just can't afford the city. At some point people will feel first ring suburbs are were the cool kids are going. If you don't have a trust fund, forget the old cool places like Lawrenceville and the city.
Etna and Sharpsburg actually are older and have more surviving history than city neighborhoods like Morningside. I think the walkability of Sharpsburg and Etna, combined with the historic village feel, make them a lot cooler than places like Morningside or Highland Park, which have little in the way of a business district, and few buildings or development older than the late 19th c. / streetcar suburb era. Also, those city neighborhoods seem more catered to families than the fun elements of city living. It's weird but Etna and Sharpsburg feel more urban than many city neighborhoods, and could definitely capture the Bohemian element that is missing in much of the East End now. I hope these neighborhoods never gentrify to the extent of Lawrenceville.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:00 PM

5,072 posts, read 2,276,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post

I am almost hoping that Etna does take off as the next 'hip' place to be, so that I can sell my house and get away from the congestion and return to the promised land of Shaler -
Hahaha......oh, you Shaler people.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:21 PM

268 posts, read 383,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Does Girty's Run overflow affect Etna and Millvale equally? Just homes near the creek? Fear the Girty!
Girty's Run goes through Millvale, but in Etna it is Pine Creek that floods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh