Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 07:44 AM

994 posts, read 895,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I would try and go with Penn State because it would be more diverse. Pitt is in the city which has a certain mindset that doesn't recognize anything outside of its culture. Penn State would be much more politically diverse, which would be a much healthier environment. The city of Pittsburgh is very close minded and would shut off all others that aren't far left. That is not a healthy atmosphere for anyone going to school. JMHO. Go for Penn State.
Is this real life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 07:48 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,272,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
Is this real life?
must have been on the sauce when he wrote that. never heard of anyone considering politics when choosing between pitt and penn state....such an odd thing to point out. many prefer city vs college town though. it certainly isn't like oberlin of grove city where politics have a pretty big role.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
must have been on the sauce when he wrote that. never heard of anyone considering politics when choosing between pitt and penn state....such an odd thing to point out. many prefer city vs college town though. it certainly isn't like oberlin of grove city where politics have a pretty big role.
We are probably 2 or 3 posts away from someone (ErieGuy?) posting demographic info from each college showing that Penn State has 2% more Asian students or whatever data points can be used in an attempt to make a point. But really, that has to be the single stupidest post I have read in a long time. Or just a master job at being sarcastic.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:17 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,272,224 times
Quote:
We are probably 2 or 3 posts away from someone (ErieGuy?) posting demographic info from each college showing that Penn State has 2% more Asian students or whatever data points can be used in an attempt to make a point. But really, that has to be the single stupidest post I have read in a long time. Or just a master job at being sarcastic.
eh. i just learn to read into that posters comments with skepticism. they are on the spectrum of somewhat helpful with undertones of cluelessness to outright ignorance. lucille bluth if you will.

the real fact is most people will live where they live and don't think twice about whether it is inside or outside of the city limits. people are people everywhere and you will gravitate towards those with similar mindsets. i see nothing wrong with this granted that you try to at least understand why others choose what they do.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:41 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,008,136 times
Quote:
You’re obviously confused as I’ve never posted anything in the way of demographics. In this case, I simply pointed out about the scandal that is long over but mostly only brought up by Pitt fans/alumni.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:05 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,483,988 times
I think I would look into how successful students are transferring to a the main campuses at both Pitt and Penn State.

A friend, years ago, started at Penn State New Kensington, and transferred to the main campus.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:25 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,587,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
In this case, I simply pointed out about the scandal that is long over but mostly only brought up by Pitt fans/alumni.
True -- the Penn State community has long since moved on to fresh scandals...

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...nd-depravities

Old 12-18-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
You’re obviously confused as I’ve never posted anything in the way of demographics. In this case, I simply pointed out about the scandal that is long over but mostly only brought up by Pitt fans/alumni.
I hope that you realize that isn't true. It's mostly ignored by Penn State fans/alumni, but brought up often by many, many people not associated with Pitt. Most recently, the University of Tennessee's coaching search. Most people are disgusted by the attitudes of Penn State fans. Meanwhile, Penn State fans want to be treated as the victims. Disgusting.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I hope that you realize that isn't true. It's mostly ignored by Penn State fans/alumni, but brought up often by many, many people not associated with Pitt. Most recently, the University of Tennessee's coaching search. Most people are disgusted by the attitudes of Penn State fans. Meanwhile, Penn State fans want to be treated as the victims. Disgusting.
Again, the scandal came out in 2011 and Paterno died in 2012. By the time the OP’s son would likely get to PSU main campus there will not be any students left from that time and those involved in the scandal are long gone and/or dead. I do understand, however, that Pitt fans/alumni will bring the scandal up as long as they possibly can. It still doesn’t have anything to do with the OP’s son going to a branch campus.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
True -- the Penn State community has long since moved on to fresh scandals...

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...nd-depravities
Very sad deal.

I didn’t see anything from the OP about her son joining a fraternity at a branch campus, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh