Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2017, 06:20 PM

79 posts, read 85,722 times

Advertisements

I just saw that Pennsylvania gained about 18,400 people from July 2016 and July 2017, after it had lost population last year. That is enough of an increase to surpass Illinois and take the number 5 spot. Do you think maybe our area is making a comeback?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 08:17 PM

146 posts, read 133,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandritz6 View Post
I just saw that Pennsylvania gained about 18,400 people from July 2016 and July 2017, after it had lost population last year. That is enough of an increase to surpass Illinois and take the number 5 spot. Do you think maybe our area is making a comeback?
I can't say for sure, but I'm almost positive it's the eastern part of the state. The lehigh valley has gained a lot of people from NY/NJ over the past few years. Also, a lot of people from the Baltimore area have moved up to around York and Lancaster Counties. I'm guessing those are the biggest reasons for the increase.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:37 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,157,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinsFan14 View Post
I can't say for sure, but I'm almost positive it's the eastern part of the state. The lehigh valley has gained a lot of people from NY/NJ over the past few years. Also, a lot of people from the Baltimore area have moved up to around York and Lancaster Counties. I'm guessing those are the biggest reasons for the increase.
I think you're right most likely. The state saw plenty of gains in the 90's and 2000's while this side of the state still fell. Maybe Butler and Allegheny County have been seeing small increases, but that's about it I think is likely.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:37 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,317,076 times
Yea most of the migration into the state has been on the Eastern half. There is a large migration from NY and NJ into the Lehigh Valley and in to Southeast PA. NYC has an extremely high cost of living and NJ has the highest property taxes in the nation so its been a steady and slowly growing exodus in to PA. The City of Philadelphia has gradually been growing since 2010. It would be nice to see that also extend to the western half.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:15 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,057,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
.... The City of Philadelphia has gradually been growing since 2010. It would be nice to see that also extend to the western half.

I would not mind a stagnation in population growth until our current infrastructure and bureaucracy are improved.

Here, an influx of people will probably mean more development north of Route 28 (already seeing level of service declines, and is becoming dangerous with speeding), and in the western suburbs, which thrive on more sprawl/vehicle use/congestion/air pollution.

Call me a negative nancy, but to locals in the patchwork of small towns spread across Berks, Lancaster, and Adams County, this influx will probably mean an end to what they enjoy about their perhaps more relaxed lifestyle.

But then again, there are winners and losers to everything - if you are in the building trades, a real estate investor, or something like that, you might speculate that there is money to be made out in lower central or eastern PA.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:30 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,317,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
I would not mind a stagnation in population growth until our current infrastructure and bureaucracy are improved.

Here, an influx of people will probably mean more development north of Route 28 (already seeing level of service declines, and is becoming dangerous with speeding), and in the western suburbs, which thrive on more sprawl/vehicle use/congestion/air pollution.

Call me a negative nancy, but to locals in the patchwork of small towns spread across Berks, Lancaster, and Adams County, this influx will probably mean an end to what they enjoy about their perhaps more relaxed lifestyle.

But then again, there are winners and losers to everything - if you are in the building trades, a real estate investor, or something like that, you might speculate that there is money to be made out in lower central or eastern PA.
I hate to be blunt. But stagnant growth IS VERY BAD for the economy. If your population is not growing, your economy is not growing. If your economy is not growing. That is just bad. (If our economy is not growing, Revenue does not go to the state. Which means there is even more pressure to pay for services).

Nearly all the growth is within the Lehigh Valley, Southeast PA counties (Philadelphia) and Harrisburg/Lancaster/York areas. The City of Philadelphia has actually been growing since 2010. I do agree the state needs to adopt a statewide land use planning policy, to preserve open space, and develop more walkable communities with smart growth strategies.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:46 AM

79 posts, read 85,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I think you're right most likely. The state saw plenty of gains in the 90's and 2000's while this side of the state still fell. Maybe Butler and Allegheny County have been seeing small increases, but that's about it I think is likely.
Yeah I feel like Butler County is probably seeing decent increases due to much of its southern corridor booming, Washington maybe seeing small increase due to the whole 79 and 19 N corridor booming, Allegheny has been seeming to make a comeback primarily due to the whole north, west, and southwest portions of the county, with a few other exceptions such as Jefferson Hills, and some east (Harmar/Oakmont/Plum) been seeming to make a comeback. Beaver probably is seeing small decreases, except for maybe Economy Boro. Westmoreland probably is still seeing a decrease overall, except for maybe North Huntingdon. Armstrong, Fayette, and probably every other western PA county is still declining. I would agree that most of the growth is in the eastern part of the state, but some the places I mentioned maybe are helping a little.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:15 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,057,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I hate to be blunt. But stagnant growth IS VERY BAD for the economy. If your population is not growing, your economy is not growing. If your economy is not growing. That is just bad. (If our economy is not growing, Revenue does not go to the state. Which means there is even more pressure to pay for services).

It depends on your economic backbone. With manufacturing, you create wealth by selling your product.
Expansion through population growth may expand the economy, but then again you have that spread acorss more people, and that can also put strain on the quality of life by creating more demand of infrastructure, new or existing.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:30 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,598,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
It depends on your economic backbone. With manufacturing, you create wealth by selling your product.
Expansion through population growth may expand the economy, but then again you have that spread acorss more people, and that can also put strain on the quality of life by creating more demand of infrastructure, new or existing.
Bringing in more people like me could create wealth by selling services and mostly just use the parts of the existing infrastructure that have been underutilized for decades (i.e. staying mostly Pittsburgh proper and never crossing a bridge).

Old 12-21-2017, 10:49 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,038,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandritz6 View Post
Yeah I feel like Butler County is probably seeing decent increases due to much of its southern corridor booming, Washington maybe seeing small increase due to the whole 79 and 19 N corridor booming, Allegheny has been seeming to make a comeback primarily due to the whole north, west, and southwest portions of the county, with a few other exceptions such as Jefferson Hills, and some east (Harmar/Oakmont/Plum) been seeming to make a comeback. Beaver probably is seeing small decreases, except for maybe Economy Boro. Westmoreland probably is still seeing a decrease overall, except for maybe North Huntingdon. Armstrong, Fayette, and probably every other western PA county is still declining. I would agree that most of the growth is in the eastern part of the state, but some the places I mentioned maybe are helping a little.
IIRC even in Butler County, the birth rate has been falling and there is now a natural population decline. Only migration (mostly net migration from Allegheny County) is keeping the raw population totals from declining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh