Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2018, 09:04 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,799,462 times

Advertisements

Mixed feelings on this idea as I think people can live a little better than in a tiny home, which I feel is more of a fad, but I don't have a strong opinion on it and hope it is a good fit.

Nonprofit gears up to build tiny homes for veterans in Penn Hills in 2018 | TribLIVE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 07:06 AM

219 posts, read 155,816 times
It's a good idea, but if, as stated in the article, a tiny home is one that is less than one thousand square feet, there already are plenty of options in the Pittsburgh area. For example, the street just below my home in Avalon, is comprised of small, well-kept brick Cape Cods that were built just after the WWII. The square footage of most excluding the partial basements (many have been finished to some degree over the years) come in at just under one thousand square feet. It seems as though rebabb-ing similar houses in the way to Habitat for Humanity sometimes does in lieu of new construction might make the money go a bit further in helping veterans in need find decent, affordable housing that is close to public transportation and services.

Old 01-03-2018, 02:55 PM

179 posts, read 105,999 times
Twenty, what area of Avalon are those homes in?

Old 01-03-2018, 03:05 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,354,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Years in the Burgh View Post
It's a good idea, but if, as stated in the article, a tiny home is one that is less than one thousand square feet, there already are plenty of options in the Pittsburgh area. For example, the street just below my home in Avalon, is comprised of small, well-kept brick Cape Cods that were built just after the WWII. The square footage of most excluding the partial basements (many have been finished to some degree over the years) come in at just under one thousand square feet. It seems as though rebabb-ing similar houses in the way to Habitat for Humanity sometimes does in lieu of new construction might make the money go a bit further in helping veterans in need find decent, affordable housing that is close to public transportation and services.
There are small houses everywhere but they are not for sale and they don't fit the vision of the agency.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:52 PM

The houses are on Howden just above Ohio River Blvd.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:56 PM

I do agree with what you're saying, Guy in that the agency isn't just trying to provide housing, but to create a community. Also, those small, well-kept houses do move quickly--at least where I live.
I do hope that they're able to receive the last of the funding needed to make this work for as many vets as possible.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:40 AM

32,774 posts, read 36,008,478 times
There's an interesting comment below.

"Andrew Michaels · Works at Doofenshmirtz Evil Inc.
They should start one on these on the site of the closed Highland Drive VA hospital. It's just sitting on the hill rotting away."

I can't imagine the red tape, but it's an intriguing thought.

Old 01-06-2018, 06:33 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,577,703 times
I think it’s a good idea. Glad someone is thinking about the veterans. They spat at us when I was in the Army during the viet nam era. You really took abuse at airports wearing the uniform. Some vets are coming back from these conflicts with all sorts of medical and mental problems. Housing should be the least of their worries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh