Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 10:05 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times

Advertisements

Couldn't say "and it's flawless," however.

History for sale: Fixer-upper, Sauer-designed home awaits a new family | TribLIVE

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 10:11 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,791 times
Unfortunately the house nearly abuts 28 and is north of the highway, rather disconnected from the Aspinwall business district. It is tough to say whether this house, when renovated, would be a very practical place to live. Maybe others who know the topography a bit better could tell me there is a trail to connect to Aspinwall or the road noise isn’t bad, but this seems like a tough location which might get even tougher with the widening of 28.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:17 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,946,246 times
My guess is that just like many other historic old houses in Allegheny County, the property taxes would drive many people away. Same reason I left Allegheny County back in 2005. Crazy paying $9K/yr in property taxes. I'm sure they would be a lot more on this house after it's rehab'd.

Otherwise, it looks like it'll be a labor of love for someone.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:55 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
That is an interesting location right now as it will back up to an under construction townhome development, which is okay since the townhomes will be nice when completed I would imagine. To access Aspinwall, you could possibly cut through that townhome development and walk down Center, which could be great actually as you don't have to walk all that far up or down that hill since the access is so low on Center. There is no sidewalk on Lexington, so that direction isn't any good. There is a set of stairs on the far side of Highland, but it is rarely used as it really doesn't go anywhere people are wanting to go.

Personally, I think it is a great value to live with such convenience, with a home that size and being able to zip over to the east end or downtown. I always said there are homes in O'Hara that are a bargain around these areas considering the proximity to so many things. Sure you are driving, but you are driving if you live in Highland Park, Morningside Stanton Heights, most of Squirrel Hill, most of Point Breeze and more, so lets not forget that much of the city is walkable, but you would be walking for miles to get to shopping.

I have walked by that home, but it has been years. I always liked that pocket of homes in that area as I felt there was a lot of interesting architecture around there and the homes sell for cheap considering there proximity to so many things. The more I think about that home, the more I need to have a closer look to see if it will have access to that townhome development, since that would be a big benefit if you can cut through there.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:16 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
That is an interesting location right now as it will back up to an under construction townhome development, which is okay since the townhomes will be nice when completed I would imagine. To access Aspinwall, you could possibly cut through that townhome development and walk down Center, which could be great actually as you don't have to walk all that far up or down that hill since the access is so low on Center. There is no sidewalk on Lexington, so that direction isn't any good. There is a set of stairs on the far side of Highland, but it is rarely used as it really doesn't go anywhere people are wanting to go.

Personally, I think it is a great value to live with such convenience, with a home that size and being able to zip over to the east end or downtown. I always said there are homes in O'Hara that are a bargain around these areas considering the proximity to so many things. Sure you are driving, but you are driving if you live in Highland Park, Morningside Stanton Heights, most of Squirrel Hill, most of Point Breeze and more, so lets not forget that much of the city is walkable, but you would be walking for miles to get to shopping.

I have walked by that home, but it has been years. I always liked that pocket of homes in that area as I felt there was a lot of interesting architecture around there and the homes sell for cheap considering there proximity to so many things. The more I think about that home, the more I need to have a closer look to see if it will have access to that townhome development, since that would be a big benefit if you can cut through there.
The other side of Heinz Terrace has some nice houses. This one was for sale a couple of times recently.

Real Estate | Property Images | Allegheny County

From memory, it was priced in the mid 500,000 range. No sale. And it was pretty much done. Has a much better location. The one on the market now realistically is worth less than 200,000. Probably closer to 150,000.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:31 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
The other side of Heinz Terrace has some nice houses. This one was for sale a couple of times recently.

Real Estate | Property Images | Allegheny County

From memory, it was priced in the mid 500,000 range. No sale. And it was pretty much done. Has a much better location. The one on the market now realistically is worth less than 200,000. Probably closer to 150,000.
Here you go. That was a pretty aggressive price.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...11336280_zpid/

I don't think the Sauer home will go that cheap, but $299k is too high in that condition and the location isn't great so close to 28. It should go in the 2's as there really is nothing on the market anymore in the super low price ranges. It is a hot market for sellers right now, but if it turns sour, which could happen at some point it might go cheaper. Not in this market IMHO.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:35 AM
gg

Wow, look at the home. A lot of detail. It might sell. I would LOVE to restore it, but I can't see it as a flip, it is a fix and live in for years kind of deal. At $200K it could be a flip, IMHO, but I haven't been on that lot. Looks interesting and has a view and that view with that much land might be able to be expanded to be pretty darn awesome. Might be worth a drive by to get a better understanding of this home. I always find it crazy that if this was in Highland Park it would sell in a day.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...11334980_zpid/

Old 01-09-2018, 11:32 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Wow, look at the home. A lot of detail. It might sell. I would LOVE to restore it, but I can't see it as a flip, it is a fix and live in for years kind of deal. At $200K it could be a flip, IMHO, but I haven't been on that lot. Looks interesting and has a view and that view with that much land might be able to be expanded to be pretty darn awesome. Might be worth a drive by to get a better understanding of this home. I always find it crazy that if this was in Highland Park it would sell in a day.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...11334980_zpid/
Agree that one needs to live in it and fix as you go if it is sold for around 300,000. However, I do think that it is overpriced. Will likely sell for closer to 200,000. If it needs windows, a roof or mechanicals. You are in for a 100,000 before you paint a wall.

There was the one on the corner in lower Aspinwall that was a gut job and it was on the market for a long time. Here it is ...

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...11336452_zpid/

Sold for 65,000.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:40 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Agree that one needs to live in it and fix as you go if it is sold for around 300,000. However, I do think that it is overpriced. Will likely sell for closer to 200,000. If it needs windows, a roof or mechanicals. You are in for a 100,000 before you paint a wall.

There was the one on the corner in lower Aspinwall that was a gut job and it was on the market for a long time. Here it is ...

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...11336452_zpid/

Sold for 65,000.

No way that actually sold for that price unless the seller was completely gone or it sold to a relative, which is probably the case.

Did you see the detail of that Sauer home? That is pretty rare actually.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:51 AM
gg

So I went to see the Sauer home. It is pretty close to 28. The townhome development is next door, but a pretty good size hill to navigate if you want to walk up to it and who knows the townhome developer might put in a fence, so access might not be there for walking. The home isn't a very good home to walk from as the road down to Aspinwall is narrow.

The home is really in need of repair. I think it will sell around $200K since we are in a seller's market. It has a view of the river this time of year, but some pruning and such would be required to have a view all year long. The home is quite a work of art with even a gas fireplace on the side porch. I don't think I ever saw that. There is a two car garage sort of, but it looks pretty dangerous and probably can't be saved. The home sits alone pretty much on the end of that street.

Ah well, thought I would report about it. Fun to walk around. Hope someone saves it and brings it back to where it needs to be. This isn't a home for someone with very limited funds, but you could live in it and do a room at a time. The roof looked good, so that is a plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh