Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 09:30 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Number one, I am in South Fayette, not North Fayette. Number two, I have had experiences with pretty affluent educated people in many walks of life, some of which live in South Fayette and they are definitely NOT working class, they are white collar people and affluent. It is great that Fox Chapel welcomes its new neighbours so well, however it was not my experience here in South Fayette.
I moved in, didn't make it clear that I wanted to be left alone. I sat on the football bleachers and wrestling bleachers for 6 years as my kids played. I do mix with the parents there without a doubt. I worked in both a lawyers office and an accounting office ; again, not blue collar jobs. Again, I have often said it was my experience ; just my experience from what I was exposed to here. But it is very difficult to crack the bubble that exists in this part of town. I have even heard people that live here comment on the bubble that is South Fayette.
Sorry, South Fayette. The rest is fair enough, but I wanted to just point out some areas are very welcoming. I do agree that many places are hard to break into with the locals. Not sure what the city is like? When I lived in Highland Park I knew about two people and lived there for like 6 years. Most people kept to themselves and no one would really go out of their way to say hello. It is a HUGE contrast to when I moved to Fox Chapel and I owned several homes in FC over the years. People are amazingly friendly and willing to help etc. It is interesting the perception of people that don't live in an area, yet they can tell you what it is like. I am sure you gave it a shot down there and you had kids on sports teams, so that should be easier to meet others, yet it seems as if they didn't allow you in. I find it odd. I would be intrigued to hear about Ireland and discuss the differences and such.

Anyway, hope your move goes well and you are super happy where you land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 09:43 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Patently false, and about eastern PA being friendlier and a happy melting pot.
When was the last time you were in Scranton or Philly? The region is getting plenty of migration from NYC and NJ. We are so far away that locals don't realize the growth in the Eastern PA.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:45 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Don't even bother responding to Mr. grumpy bear. He says whatever he can to stir up crap. Remember in the past when he decried how much transplants and "hipsters" were causing this city to lose what made it great. Now he's cheering on Amazon because it will bring in outsiders?!?
I'm hoping Amazon will demand that Peduto plow the streets and force the county to improve public transit and infrastructure.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:14 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Sorry, South Fayette. The rest is fair enough, but I wanted to just point out some areas are very welcoming. I do agree that many places are hard to break into with the locals. Not sure what the city is like? When I lived in Highland Park I knew about two people and lived there for like 6 years. Most people kept to themselves and no one would really go out of their way to say hello. It is a HUGE contrast to when I moved to Fox Chapel and I owned several homes in FC over the years. People are amazingly friendly and willing to help etc. It is interesting the perception of people that don't live in an area, yet they can tell you what it is like. I am sure you gave it a shot down there and you had kids on sports teams, so that should be easier to meet others, yet it seems as if they didn't allow you in. I find it odd. I would be intrigued to hear about Ireland and discuss the differences and such.

Anyway, hope your move goes well and you are super happy where you land.
I think I gave it a fair shot. From volunteering at the football and wrestling functions, to attending the boosters club meetings. Many Friday nights I was alone on the bleachers ; yes I see friendly faces, but that was it. I consider myself pretty social. I walk my dog daily around a development and again, while people can be friendly on the face of it, that's as far as it goes. Here in South Fayette, people stick to their groups that they know from childhood. Work was basically the same. There was very little out of work socializing done. I have suggested going out for a drink after work, nope ; people are too busy.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:30 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I think I gave it a fair shot. From volunteering at the football and wrestling functions, to attending the boosters club meetings. Many Friday nights I was alone on the bleachers ; yes I see friendly faces, but that was it. I consider myself pretty social. I walk my dog daily around a development and again, while people can be friendly on the face of it, that's as far as it goes. Here in South Fayette, people stick to their groups that they know from childhood. Work was basically the same. There was very little out of work socializing done. I have suggested going out for a drink after work, nope ; people are too busy.

Sorry that your experience was like that. Should have moved to the Great White North. We welcome the young and old, rich or poor, as long as you're white n'at.

Seriously, I've seen that type of behavior in small towns where the homes are passed down through generations. Not so much in transient areas. At least your sons seemed to benefit from the high school.

Good Luck!

Old 01-30-2018, 11:33 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Sorry that your experience was like that. Should have moved to the Great White North. We welcome the young and old, rich or poor, as long as you're white n'at.

Seriously, I've seen that type of behavior in small towns where the homes are passed down through generations. Not so much in transient areas. At least your sons seemed to benefit from the high school.

Good Luck!
I totally agree. I would do it again in a heartbeat for what the kids experienced. There is no price on the last 6 years with the kids and what they learned both that are life lessons and also experiences.

Old 01-30-2018, 11:59 AM

716 posts, read 764,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
When was the last time you were in Scranton or Philly? The region is getting plenty of migration from NYC and NJ. We are so far away that locals don't realize the growth in the Eastern PA.
That migration is not exactly news. Outward NYC migration towards NJ and PA has been going on for decades. Where your comments make no sense is that there is certainly no correlation between migration and being a "friendly and happier melting pot."

Old 01-30-2018, 01:13 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post

Less than two weeks ago. I am in eastern PA a lot.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:15 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,914,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Less than two weeks ago. I am in eastern PA a lot.

I'm going to Philly this weekend, I will report back on how much nicer the people have become lately.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:23 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I'm going to Philly this weekend, I will report back on how much nicer the people have become lately.
Hahaha, I'll be waiting for the report. Especially if the Pats win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh