Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 11:00 AM

16,265 posts, read 42,984,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodistortion View Post
Pittsburgh Mills is actually doing better now, although its quality of stores have been lacking. It may not have the room to accomodate higher-end retail like in Monroeville but it is a flourishing mall and still has a lot of potential considering that it's still relatively new. The area is very working class however and that shows in the stores and services offered at the mall. The addition of the indoor waterpark should only improve the mall's bottom line and carve a niche that other malls don't have.
An indoor waterpark? In a shopping mall? I've never been to Pittsburgh Mills..is it a shopping mall as well?

If it is, how do they organize the indoor waterpark? A separate addition/building set aside for it? Or it is in the mall itself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 11:05 AM

1,104 posts, read 2,579,977 times
Tiger Beer, the indoor waterpark, which will be a Great Wolf Lodge, will be physically connected to the mall, and have entrances into the mall. An 8-story hotel will also be built next to the waterpark component. It will be located on the site where the NASCAR Speedpark was originally going to be.

Pittsburgh Mills is a large one-story mall, which is pretty much a racetrack setup. It already has over 180 shops and restaurants, which includes the shops at the surrounding Village shopping complex, as well as a movie theater and a large food court.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:52 AM

875 posts, read 1,482,925 times
One of my personal gripes about the Mills has actually NOTHING to do with the selection of stores. I actually like fairly independent stores as my style of shopping at malls is usually limited to just browsing.

No, what I don't like about the Mills is how it's laid out as a single-floor plan. Every other mall I've been two has AT LEAST two floors and it makes circulation easier. I can't tell you how many times I went to Mills, forgot to go somewhere and then realized it's on the other side of the mall, which seriously has to be about a quarter mile right?

Old 02-16-2010, 12:11 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,579,977 times
Originally, the plan was to make the Mills (then called the Frazer Heights Galleria) into a two story shopping mall similar in size to Ross Park Mall. This was back in the 1980s, though.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:56 PM

441 posts, read 761,941 times
Add me to the list of people who go to the Waterfront instead of Monroeville. While I agree that Monroeville has better shopping options, I absolutely hate Hate HATE having to drive down that perpetually gridlocked main drag. I hate having to make left turns off of it even more.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:01 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,405,092 times
I despise Monroeville.

I used to work there for three years and if I headed to lunch I would usually head to the Murrysville area.

I had to be in Monroeville on a Saturday afternoon a few weeks ago and it was nightmare. I must have waited seven cycles to get out of one of the shopping plazas because of the gridlock. That was to just access Monroeville Blvd and not even head down 22.

If I have to be at the Monroeville Mall area, I come up 48 and then go through Pitcarin and go on Monroeville Blvd.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:23 PM

353 posts, read 822,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitts10yrs View Post
Sure its a nice place but not like it use to be....as the east side of pittsburgh is on the decline, penn hills for sure, it is also contributing to monroeville area.
I know it has been almost two years since you wrote this, but I have to ask what you are talking about. The Eastside of Pittsburgh is on the rise. Penn Hills is in decline, because that is what happens to suburban sprawl areas built on the cheap, but the actual interior of the city could not be doing better. The demographic shifted, as it is wanton to do.

Also, Pittsburgh Mills is one of the worst "malls" I have ever been to. It was built to cater to people from Armstrong and Jefferson County... in otherwords, Rednecks. And if anyone comes in here and makes a deal out of my saying so, I am originally from Jefferson County, so I think I earned the right to speak the truth about it.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmantz65 View Post
I despise Monroeville.

I used to work there for three years and if I headed to lunch I would usually head to the Murrysville area.

I had to be in Monroeville on a Saturday afternoon a few weeks ago and it was nightmare. I must have waited seven cycles to get out of one of the shopping plazas because of the gridlock. That was to just access Monroeville Blvd and not even head down 22.

If I have to be at the Monroeville Mall area, I come up 48 and then go through Pitcarin and go on Monroeville Blvd.
Amen. When I first moved here, I drove out to Monroeville for most shopping, and it was Hell. I found better places to shop in the city, anyway.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:12 PM

254 posts, read 588,858 times
I grew up in Plum in the 70's and we went to Monroeville for shopping. Back then, we thought Monroeville was fine. However, on trips back to Pittsburgh and Plum, I see Monroeville has basically stagnated since the 70's/80's. There may be a few more box stores, but it did not keep up with the times if you ask me. And yes, the roads are tired little four laners with badly timed lights. Last time there, I saw still vacant and dilapidated retail looking sad.

Living in Tampa for the past 18 years, I've seen many roads widened out to 6 and 8 lanes....scores of new retail centers put up, and just a much more general improvement in development. I know this is a growth area compared to no growth Monroeville. But still, Monroeville could improve what they have.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnland View Post
I grew up in Plum in the 70's and we went to Monroeville for shopping. Back then, we thought Monroeville was fine. However, on trips back to Pittsburgh and Plum, I see Monroeville has basically stagnated since the 70's/80's. There may be a few more box stores, but it did not keep up with the times if you ask me. And yes, the roads are tired little four laners with badly timed lights. Last time there, I saw still vacant and dilapidated retail looking sad.

Living in Tampa for the past 18 years, I've seen many roads widened out to 6 and 8 lanes....scores of new retail centers put up, and just a much more general improvement in development. I know this is a growth area compared to no growth Monroeville. But still, Monroeville could improve what they have.
The problem with widening roads is that it doesn't really improve congestion, in the long run. First off, the problem is typically not the width of the roads, but rather poorly organized and infrequent connections. In a place like Monroeville, the lack of small streets and alternate routes basically funnels all the traffic onto a single road. Second, "opening" up road ways to traffic leads to, surprise, surprise, more traffic. If encourages the continued concentration of commerce in non-walkable areas, which causes people to drive more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh