Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 07:24 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,579,977 times

Advertisements

In general, Monroeville just doesn't seem very exciting anymore and almost feels like the Century III area, albeit its in a much more affluent area. Johnland is right when he mentions that Monroeville has basically stagnated. Places like Robinson and Greensburg continue to progress when it comes to retail, and even the North Hills is changing, but Monroeville still lags behind. With Westinghouse about to be gone, that's a major setback to the economic climate in Monroeville, not to mention the former Boscovs at Monroeville Mall still have yet to be filled. Monroeville doesn't even have a movie theater or a Walmart. Other places such as Chili's and the ExpoMart have either closed or is being converted into other uses. The new Monroeville convention center doesn't even do justice. There just isn't a market for all these places when Pittsburgh already has the convention center and other places such as East Liberty and Pittsburgh Mills are being developed.

Last edited by neurodistortion; 02-16-2010 at 07:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 07:27 PM

16,265 posts, read 42,984,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersoulty View Post
The problem with widening roads is that it doesn't really improve congestion, in the long run. First off, the problem is typically not the width of the roads, but rather poorly organized and infrequent connections. In a place like Monroeville, the lack of small streets and alternate routes basically funnels all the traffic onto a single road. Second, "opening" up road ways to traffic leads to, surprise, surprise, more traffic. If encourages the continued concentration of commerce in non-walkable areas, which causes people to drive more.
What a great post - so true.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:39 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,274,966 times
Whoever moves to Monroeville has to be willing to put up with lots of traffic. It will rule you life (when to go shopping). However, the Gateway school district is a fine one and is one of the few diverse (integrated) high schools in the region.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:42 PM

780 posts, read 1,376,564 times
Took the kids to the train show at the Monroeville Conv. center this weekend and my word, what a nightmare 22 was. Between the heavy snow showers, people with cabin fever wanting to get out and the convention traffic on top of typical Sat. Monroeville traffic it took no joke, 40 min. to traverse the 3 or 4 miles from the turnpike interchange to the the Convention Center. Took the back way out of there to Rte 48 and went to Rivertowne Pour House for some good brew and a great meal with the inlaws. Haven't been there in several months and forgot how good it was. Their brewmaster's sampler was very tasty. Had to buy a growler of their amber ale to take home for Sunday's Valentine's dinner with the wife. Can't complain about their food or the quantity that you get. My inlaws were still talking about it several days later.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:03 PM

10 posts, read 17,367 times
monroeville is not very nice. I would check out the North Hills or Robinson area if you like the suburbs.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:09 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,446,660 times
I lived in Monroeville years ago, it's just a very bland area. The Rte 22 strip is one of the ugliest around. I always tell people that if Cranberry is not careful, they'll become the Monroeville of the North.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:13 PM

254 posts, read 588,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersoulty View Post
The problem with widening roads is that it doesn't really improve congestion, in the long run. First off, the problem is typically not the width of the roads, but rather poorly organized and infrequent connections. In a place like Monroeville, the lack of small streets and alternate routes basically funnels all the traffic onto a single road. Second, "opening" up road ways to traffic leads to, surprise, surprise, more traffic. If encourages the continued concentration of commerce in non-walkable areas, which causes people to drive more.

Yes, you're right. Widening is not a real option in Monroeville because of the lay of the land. Also, as you pointed out, the road network is a crazy web of odd intersections, poorly placed connections, etc. Again, the hilly land plays a big role in that. Here in Tampa, the open, flat geography lends itself to a logical grid plan that allows for roads to get bumped out to 8 lanes in the suburbs.

However, the hilly layout should not be an open and shut case against some kind of smarter (let's not hold our breath for smart! even marginally smarter would be an improvement) growth.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:14 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,405,092 times
The first problem Monroeville has is the intersection of Routes 48 and 22 (Ranked third busiest in the state: Monroeville, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) Add the Turnpike and I-376 entry/exit ramps and you have a mess.

The next problem is there are too many stoplights spaced too close together. The spacing between the Route 48/22 intersection and the intersection with Lowes is way too close and there is often gridlock. Combine with the traffic and light timing and it is a nightmare. This goes on all the way until past the mall going down the hill towards Kohl's.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:01 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,579,977 times
See, this problem is increased when there's only one or two entrances into each plaza, usually off of Route 22. In Roninson, the shopping plazas are connected via several access roads and other alternate ways rather than just one or two entrances, which is how it should've been done in Monroeville.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,936 times
Default Gateway School District

I really like living and working in Monroeville. However, my son will be starting Kindergarten next year an I have heard mixed reviews about Gateway School Distict. Can anyone give me some real insight on this? Also we are in dire need of after school care, I would probaby be happier with a church that he could be bussed to. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh