Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 11:23 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Pitt. It really doesn't matter where he does his first year or 2. The program he's interested in is #1 in the country at Pitt. He needs to get a post grad degree. If he graduates from Pitt in that field, it means something.
I am thinking that also. I think Pitt is the place to be for him and in a year or so he can transfer to the main campus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 12:26 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Oh my poor kid. He has the above choice to make. He is pretty bummed as he wanted to get into the main campus's but got into the other campus's instead. Its ok. Amazing one of the kids in his class with a lower SAT score (1050) got into Penn State Main. The reason ; her dad is good friends with the powers that be.

Anyway, can anyone voice their opinions on either ; good, bad or ugly?

It's almost impossible to get on the Penn State main campus first year. 60,000+ apply for around 8,000 spots in the Freshmen class.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:57 PM

130 posts, read 122,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
It's almost impossible to get on the Penn State main campus first year. 60,000+ apply for around 8,000 spots in the Freshmen class.
It's not that hard to get in. Out of those 60,000 applicants about half are offered admission to the main campus and then only around 8,000 actually accept the offer.

It's the same for Pitt. In 2017, 27,650 applied to the main campus, 16,521 were accepted, and 4,123 attended.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Belt Kid View Post
It's not that hard to get in. Out of those 60,000 applicants about half are offered admission to the main campus and then only around 8,000 actually accept the offer.

It's the same for Pitt. In 2017, 27,650 applied to the main campus, 16,521 were accepted, and 4,123 attended.
I don't know about this. Two of the kids in my sons class are number 8 and 10 in the class and they got in. The rest got into the other branches. The one other child that got into the main campus had her dad whos is a friend of a dean there.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:28 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Belt Kid View Post
I think they are both rolling admissions, so someone that applies early has a better chance than someone that applies in the winter.

Both schools will be similar. Johnstown is probably the most rigorous Pitt branch campus, while Altoona probably ranks behind Behrend in that regard.

The likelihood of your son eventually transferring to the main campus is high, so he should base it on whether he'd rather go to Pittsburgh or University Park. That said he probably has an advantage over the people that do 4 years at the main campus. The 101 level courses at the main campuses are usually 300 person lectures that may or may not be taught by someone interested in teaching. By doing 1 or 2 years at a branch campus, they can get a better foundation in a smaller environment in (generally) easier classes.
I'm not sure why someone would make this comment because it is definitely not true. I can speak confidently about UPJ. The overwhelming majority of the students do not transfer to main campus unless they want to major in a program that is not offered at UPJ. Main campus treats branch campus transfers like any other transfer from other colleges.

I'm not as familiar with Penn State Altoona, but I will bet the majority of students complete their degree at Penn State Altoona and don't transfer to University Park. The majority of students end up at these branch campuses because they were not accepted at main campus. Penn State Behrend is a little different because they have some unique engineering programs.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:38 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,088 times
Quote:
I don't know about this. Two of the kids in my sons class are number 8 and 10 in the class and they got in. The rest got into the other branches. The one other child that got into the main campus had her dad whos is a friend of a dean there.
OP, I understand your son's frustration (and your own), but I honestly don't think these things happen (at least not often but I would never say never). I know of two cases where pretty powerful Pitt faculty had children who could not get accepted to Pitt main campus. I find it hard to believe that a Penn State dean would get his friend's child admission. That would be more trouble than it's worth.
Both Penn State and Pitt have admissions rates around 50%. They are not especially easy to get in to given the high number of applicants.
It isn't easy to transfer, either. Your son will need to keep working hard if he plans to transfer to main. It is definitely doable but should not be viewed as any kind of guarantee.

Old 02-06-2018, 04:29 PM

Thank you all for your opinions and advice.

To throw another spanner in the works ; my wonderful son has been awarded a 4 year tuition scholarship for either Temple, Penn State or Pitt thru ROTC. He has been accepted in Temple and Penn State (altoona) and is waiting for official word from Pitt on their decision. It is fantastic and of course we are thrilled.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:34 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,222,470 times
Penn State Altoona use to be just a two year degree campus up till a few years ago, then underwent an expansion to 4 years. I took some classes there many years ago and had no complaints. Can't say how things are now, but from what I hear, it is much better.

Granted, Altoona area has more to offer than J-town, plus it's only about a half hour from State College since I-99 is completed.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:55 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
The one other child that got into the main campus had her dad whos is a friend of a dean there.
It isn't what you know, it is who you know. Happens all the time. Good learning experience for him to witness that. It happens in the business world as well of course. All about networking and kissing butt.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:34 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
It isn't what you know, it is who you know. Happens all the time. Good learning experience for him to witness that. It happens in the business world as well of course. All about networking and kissing butt.
Good grief--this doesn't happen 'all the time' at universities. Maybe things were different decades ago, but Universities have to justify admissions procedures (public universities even more so). It is an elaborate process that receives a lot of scrutiny. Many professors and higher administrators have children who do not get accepted to the university where they are employed (and receive tuition remission). It is highly unlikely that a Penn State dean somehow got his friend's child admitted. People would find out about this and it would cause problems that would not be worth the dean's time. There are a lot of factors that go into admission decisions, and two kids may look the same to you but will not look the same to admissions officers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh